Why do Christians trust YHWH?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 02:51 PM
RE: Why do Christians trust YHWH?
(20-02-2014 02:44 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  See, that's why we don't believe your Bible. It's not peer-reviewed.
Doc
Except...you believe lots of stuff that's not peer reviewed. So far we've been given a youtube clip and a simple chart from talkorigins. Fact is that most people who pay lip service to peer-reviewed science don't subscribe to a single peer-reviewed journal. It would cost a lot to follow even one or two fields, as those things typically aren't cheap.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 02:54 PM
(20-02-2014 02:47 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  What about this, alpha? I'll match all your "positive" Bible contributions with negative ones. Here, I'll start. 1 Samuel 15:3, "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys"

Your turn. Let's see who runs out of material first.

Doc
Nice attempt to shift the argument. You list the positives of racism and I'll list the positives of religion, and you'll agree to first fight the one with fewer positives.
20-02-2014, 02:57 PM
(20-02-2014 02:41 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 02:34 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Positive as in Deuteronomy 20:16, "In the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you"?
No, positive as in the good samaritan, the golden rule, hospitals, soup kitchens, etc.

Interesting that none of your examples are valid.

The Samaritan was a hated outsider heretic. Meanwhile the priest and the Levite were not good neighbors to the beaten-up victim.

The golden rule predates Jesus. Here's one from Ancient Egypt (2nd millenium BCE), "Now this is the command: Do to the doer to cause that he do thus to you."

Please provide Bible references for hospitals (the first hospitals were in ancient Babylon and ancient Greece) and soup kitchens.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
20-02-2014, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 03:10 PM by rampant.a.i..)
(20-02-2014 02:30 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 01:46 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  You've presented zero evidence for your claims, and still demand evidence from others?

How cowardly.
Except my "claim" was:
We don't know. That's why it's a faith.
Angel

So your rejection of faith someone else doesn't hold is proof that your faith is factual?

We Don't Know =/= Faith is a false dilemma.

In the absence of sufficient evidence, the scientific response is to withhold judgement, not arbitrarily choose from one of 1,000's of Gods.

You've chosen a God to believe in. Congratulations!

You've still presented no evidence to support the conclusion <My God Is The Creator>

Let alone Peer Reviewed evidence. Then again, you don't seem to understand what that means.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
20-02-2014, 03:03 PM
(20-02-2014 02:40 PM)alpha male Wrote:  I meant peer-reviewed studies, not your wishful thinking. Rolleyes

Every one of those steps have numerous peer reviewed papers.

You can google each of them.
20-02-2014, 03:03 PM
(20-02-2014 02:33 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 01:55 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Here you go.
I don't do youtube, and I doubt it's a peer-reviewed youtube clip. Smile

How convenient, stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and chant, "Holy, holy, holy."

The video is from the Ted conference and the information presented is peer-reviewed in the scientific community. How much more do you want?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2014, 03:04 PM
(20-02-2014 02:54 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 02:47 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  What about this, alpha? I'll match all your "positive" Bible contributions with negative ones. Here, I'll start. 1 Samuel 15:3, "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys"

Your turn. Let's see who runs out of material first.

Doc
Nice attempt to shift the argument. You list the positives of racism and I'll list the positives of religion, and you'll agree to first fight the one with fewer positives.

No positives at all in racism. I condemn all causes of cruelty and injustice including theism.

Here's one for you to ponder, Num. 31: 15-18 “Have you allowed all the women to live?” (Moses) asked them. “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

Where's the "positive" in that?

Doc
20-02-2014, 03:09 PM
(20-02-2014 03:03 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  The video is from the Ted conference and the information presented is peer-reviewed in the scientific community. How much more do you want?

He doesn't want to do any work.

He wants to be willfully ignorant with his comfortable magic man mythology.
20-02-2014, 03:11 PM
(20-02-2014 03:09 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 03:03 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  The video is from the Ted conference and the information presented is peer-reviewed in the scientific community. How much more do you want?

He doesn't want to do any work.

He wants to be willfully ignorant with his comfortable magic man mythology.

It's worse than that. He's advancing the claim We Don't Know = My God Did It, with the "evidence" <I believe my god did it>

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
20-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Alpha,
Think about this. In Num. 31:15-18, it says (I'm repeating myself): “Have you allowed all the women to live?” (Moses) asked them. “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

It does not say that the Midianites forced the Israelites to abandon the Lord. It says enticed. That means the Israelites found the Midianite way of living more attractive than YHWH. He then proceeded to wipe out his "rival" to claim the sole attention of his people.

The "positive" in that would be..?

Doc