Why do Christians trust YHWH?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 04:51 PM
RE: Why do Christians trust YHWH?
(20-02-2014 03:03 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  How convenient, stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and chant, "Holy, holy, holy."

The video is from the Ted conference and the information presented is peer-reviewed in the scientific community. How much more do you want?
Links to peer-reviewed articles would be best. At the very least a transcript of the youtube talk. I'm not getting into the "Well at 7:46 in the video he said..." thing. If you're too lazy to type it up, I'm not going to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Alpha,
In the Numbers portion above, 16,000 of the 32,000 virgins were given to the Israelites and 16,000 to the Levites. Of the Israelite's portion, 32 were given to the Lord. What did the Lord want virgins for? And which ones were picked? The prettiest? The oldest? The youngest?

Doc
20-02-2014, 04:55 PM
(20-02-2014 04:33 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That's it. It's that simple. Alpha's answer to this is "Well, I still believe he's telling the truth, just cuz", despite the fact that he has no reason to believe that.
Hold on there, Sparky. That I don't know doesn't necessarily mean that I have no reason to believe. I prayed and read the bible and went from a drug addict to a good husband and father and successful professional. That's reason to believe for me. However, I acknowledge that I can't know. It's possible that I'll die, see God, and he'll say "Psych" and consign me to hell. I have no reason to believe that, but I'm being honest in saying I can't know it won't happen.
20-02-2014, 05:04 PM
(20-02-2014 04:52 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alpha,
In the Numbers portion above, 16,000 of the 32,000 virgins were given to the Israelites and 16,000 to the Levites.
Where do you get that? As I'm readin it, half went to those who fought, half went to the rest of Israel.
Quote:Of the Israelite's portion, 32 were given to the Lord. What did the Lord want virgins for?
They went to Eleazar.
Quote:And which ones were picked? The prettiest? The oldest? The youngest?
The prettiest.
20-02-2014, 05:07 PM
(20-02-2014 04:55 PM)alpha male Wrote:  I prayed and read the bible and went from a drug addict to a good husband and father and successful professional. That's reason to believe for me.

I have a friend that was in the same state. Drug addict, living on the street on and off, doing petty crime.

One day he walked into a Hindu temple in Los Angeles and claims that he felt the presence of a Hindu god that communicated with him in some way.

He completely turned his life around starting that day. He now has a family and a successful small business.

Does his story that a Hindu god helped turn his life around have any credibility for you?

Quote: However, I acknowledge that I can't know. It's possible that I'll die, see God, and he'll say "Psych" and consign me to hell. I have no reason to believe that, but I'm being honest in saying I can't know it won't happen.

I noticed that you didn't include the possibility of a god that you do not believe in, will greet you in the afterlife, and punish you for believing in the wrong god.
[+] 3 users Like Simon Moon's post
20-02-2014, 05:25 PM
(20-02-2014 05:07 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  I have a friend that was in the same state. Drug addict, living on the street on and off, doing petty crime.

One day he walked into a Hindu temple in Los Angeles and claims that he felt the presence of a Hindu god that communicated with him in some way.

He completely turned his life around starting that day. He now has a family and a successful small business.

Does his story that a Hindu god helped turn his life around have any credibility for you?
No. Persoanl experience is just that - personal. I don't expect anyone else to be convinced by my experience, but it is of course reasonable to mention when Roppy asserts that I personally have no reason to believe.

Quote:I noticed that you didn't include the possibility of a god that you do not believe in, will greet you in the afterlife, and punish you for believing in the wrong god.
I didn't include a lot of possibilities. I only needed one example to illustrate my point, and I happened to choose a capricious god. The scenario you mention works as well.
20-02-2014, 05:35 PM
(20-02-2014 05:04 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 04:52 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alpha,
In the Numbers portion above, 16,000 of the 32,000 virgins were given to the Israelites and 16,000 to the Levites.
Where do you get that? As I'm readin it, half went to those who fought, half went to the rest of Israel.
Quote:Of the Israelite's portion, 32 were given to the Lord. What did the Lord want virgins for?
They went to Eleazar.
Quote:And which ones were picked? The prettiest? The oldest? The youngest?
The prettiest.

Yes, you are right. 16,000 went to Israel and 16,000 to the army. In addition 320 went to the Levites and 32 for the LORD, very conveniently diverted to Eleazar at Moses' command.

Why the prettiest? Does God judge human beauty as we do? What did Eleazar do with 32 virgins?

If 32,000 were saved and conservatively estimating 1 non-virgin for every virgin, then approximately 32,000 women died. How long did it take to examine and slaughter that many women?

Doc
20-02-2014, 05:54 PM
(20-02-2014 05:35 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Yes, you are right. 16,000 went to Israel and 16,000 to the army. In addition 320 went to the Levites and 32 for the LORD, very conveniently diverted to Eleazar at Moses' command.

Why the prettiest? Does God judge human beauty as we do? What did Eleazar do with 32 virgins?
He probably gave them as wives to his sons and other people.
Quote:If 32,000 were saved and conservatively estimating 1 non-virgin for every virgin, then approximately 32,000 women died. How long did it take to examine and slaughter that many women?
I don't know, as we're not given the details. Considering the contrast of woman and young girl, the determination may have simply been on age.
20-02-2014, 05:57 PM
(20-02-2014 05:54 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 05:35 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Yes, you are right. 16,000 went to Israel and 16,000 to the army. In addition 320 went to the Levites and 32 for the LORD, very conveniently diverted to Eleazar at Moses' command.

He probably gave them as wives to his sons and other people.
Quote:If 32,000 were saved and conservatively estimating 1 non-virgin for every virgin, then approximately 32,000 women died. How long did it take to examine and slaughter that many women?
I don't know, as we're not given the details. Considering the contrast of woman and young girl, the determination may have simply been on age.

What if an older woman was a virgin? Or considering the society, a young girl was not? Wouldn't YHWH have been cheated?
Doc
20-02-2014, 06:04 PM
(20-02-2014 05:54 PM)alpha male Wrote:  

OK. Let me give you the math. Assuming that "only" 50,000 women were examined and that a cursory vaginal examination took a mere fifteen seconds, it still would have taken more than eight days of non-stop examination to evaluate all fifty thousand women.

Picture it in your head. 50,000 women waiting to be examined and to learn their fates. Can you say Final Solution?

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post