Why do Christians trust YHWH?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 08:02 PM
RE: Why do Christians trust YHWH?
(20-02-2014 05:54 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 05:35 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Yes, you are right. 16,000 went to Israel and 16,000 to the army. In addition 320 went to the Levites and 32 for the LORD, very conveniently diverted to Eleazar at Moses' command.

Why the prettiest? Does God judge human beauty as we do? What did Eleazar do with 32 virgins?
He probably gave them as wives to his sons and other people.
Quote:If 32,000 were saved and conservatively estimating 1 non-virgin for every virgin, then approximately 32,000 women died. How long did it take to examine and slaughter that many women?
I don't know, as we're not given the details. Considering the contrast of woman and young girl, the determination may have simply been on age.

What? Eleazar gave young girls to his sons and "other people" as wives? Typical, I suppose. And OK by you?

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 09:39 PM
(20-02-2014 03:38 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Well, we know Drich is a Protestant, because they believe it says "murder" while Catholics believe it says "kill."

You know Drich is not catholic because he has said only clowns should wear hats like that.

The word in question is ratsach in the Hebrew. It can be translated murder or kill. I say murder because it is clear the use of the word kill is a contradiction to someone of the commands given. The use of the word murder preserves the command and yet makes the allowances needed for the death sentences God had the armies of Israel carry out.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
20-02-2014, 09:41 PM
(20-02-2014 04:07 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Well, we also now know that Drich is neck deep in the soup of indoctrination, with a side of tunnel vision and cognitive dissonance. His obsession with this ask/knock nonsense is getting tired. Focus on this line spoken to a Canaanite woman who was asking for help for her sick daughter, from Jesus in Mathew 15: “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

Well she did ask.

Now finish the story, or is it your hope that you half truth will not be noticed by any of your peers?

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
[+] 1 user Likes Drich's post
20-02-2014, 09:49 PM
(20-02-2014 09:41 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 04:07 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Well, we also now know that Drich is neck deep in the soup of indoctrination, with a side of tunnel vision and cognitive dissonance. His obsession with this ask/knock nonsense is getting tired. Focus on this line spoken to a Canaanite woman who was asking for help for her sick daughter, from Jesus in Mathew 15: “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

Well she did ask.

Now finish the story, or is it your hope that you half truth will not be noticed by any of your peers?

I know Jesus gives in after his peeps egged him on, and the woman begged even more. My point is the perfect and compassionate Jesus said this to a woman who just simply asked for help. Some ego he had.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
20-02-2014, 11:11 PM
(20-02-2014 09:39 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 03:38 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Well, we know Drich is a Protestant, because they believe it says "murder" while Catholics believe it says "kill."

You know Drich is not catholic because he has said only clowns should wear hats like that.

The word in question is ratsach in the Hebrew. It can be translated murder or kill. I say murder because it is clear the use of the word kill is a contradiction to someone of the commands given. The use of the word murder preserves the command and yet makes the allowances needed for the death sentences God had the armies of Israel carry out.

So the billion Catholics have this wrong? Excellent. Try telling them that for me, will ya?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-02-2014, 06:06 AM
(20-02-2014 08:02 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  What? Eleazar gave young girls to his sons and "other people" as wives? Typical, I suppose. And OK by you?

Doc
It seems strange in modern western culture where people choose their own husbands and wives, but in a culture of arranged marriage, sure, it seems OK. These girls were unlikely to have a say in their husband in any case. The law also regulated the practice, requiring a waiting period and giving the bride rights in case of subsequent divorce.
21-02-2014, 06:09 AM
(20-02-2014 11:11 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 09:39 PM)Drich Wrote:  You know Drich is not catholic because he has said only clowns should wear hats like that.

So the billion Catholics have this wrong? Excellent. Try telling them that for me, will ya?
Catholics do differentiate between murder, suicide, capital punishment, and self defense.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07441a.htm
21-02-2014, 06:45 AM
(21-02-2014 06:06 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 08:02 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  What? Eleazar gave young girls to his sons and "other people" as wives? Typical, I suppose. And OK by you?

Doc
It seems strange in modern western culture where people choose their own husbands and wives, but in a culture of arranged marriage, sure, it seems OK. These girls were unlikely to have a say in their husband in any case. The law also regulated the practice, requiring a waiting period and giving the bride rights in case of subsequent divorce.

Alpha,
Please quote chapter and verse showing where Eleazar gave these young girls to anybody. This is your conjecture of what happened. My conjecture is that he used them as sex slaves or sold them as slaves to "other people" or sacrificed them to YHWH who was not averse to a human offering here and there.
Doc
21-02-2014, 06:47 AM
(21-02-2014 06:09 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 11:11 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  So the billion Catholics have this wrong? Excellent. Try telling them that for me, will ya?
Catholics do differentiate between murder, suicide, capital punishment, and self defense.

Not peer reviewed. Invalid. Just applying your own standard.
Doc
21-02-2014, 06:56 AM
(21-02-2014 06:47 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 06:09 AM)alpha male Wrote:  Catholics do differentiate between murder, suicide, capital punishment, and self defense.

Not peer reviewed. Invalid. Just applying your own standard.
Doc
I suggest you retract that...it's really not a precedent you want to set, but I'll be glad to go with it. You should apply a filter somewhere between your brain and your keyboard. Big Grin