Why do Christians trust YHWH?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2014 07:46 AM by donotwant.)
RE: Why do Christians trust YHWH?
I talked to a guy and he said that he simply doesn't give a shit. And even if god told him to kill me right now and eat my heart he would do it in a heartbeat. Why? Because he is god and whatever he commands ought to be done no matter if he is lying or not. God said it. He does it.
His god status gives him right to command anything he wants. And if he is lying or not is not important as long as it gods command.

However he can't distinguish if bible is written by man or god. He never talked to god personally. Which is why he doesn't kill people. But if he was 100% certain that bible was written by god he would definitely kill gays and so on. He said it right to my face.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 08:51 AM
(28-02-2014 07:41 AM)donotwant Wrote:  I talked to a guy and he said that he simply doesn't give a shit. And even if god told him to kill me right now and eat my heart he would do it in a heartbeat. Why? Because he is god and whatever he commands ought to be done no matter if he is lying or not. God said it. He does it.
His god status gives him right to command anything he wants. And if he is lying or not is not important as long as it gods command.

However he can't distinguish if bible is written by man or god. He never talked to god personally. Which is why he doesn't kill people. But if he was 100% certain that bible was written by god he would definitely kill gays and so on. He said it right to my face.

That's fucking terrible. Lets hope he's not schizophrenic, or things could get bad, fast.
28-02-2014, 08:53 AM
(28-02-2014 08:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 07:41 AM)donotwant Wrote:  I talked to a guy and he said that he simply doesn't give a shit. And even if god told him to kill me right now and eat my heart he would do it in a heartbeat. Why? Because he is god and whatever he commands ought to be done no matter if he is lying or not. God said it. He does it.

That's fucking terrible. Lets hope he's not schizophrenic, or things could get bad, fast.

But isn't that what muslims are doing and abortion clinic bombers are doing?
God said so therefore it must be done. Pure obedience.
Jihad is also very popular.
28-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Donotwant,
If anyone is convinced that God spoke to them, then it would be foolish not to do what that God wanted. I probably would do the same (although I would first consider my sanity-if I were in a position to do so, that is).

It's the believers that are believers because someone told them to be believers that are to be deplored. They have evidence for and against a God in front of them and choose to ignore the overwhelmingly negative evidence in favor of a God for mere hearsay. They are the ones we are trying to convince with reason and logic here - with what success, I can't say.

Doc
28-02-2014, 08:54 AM
(28-02-2014 08:53 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Donotwant,
If anyone is convinced that God spoke to them, then it would be foolish not to do what that God wanted. I probably would do the same (although I would first consider my sanity-if I were in a position to do so, that is).

It's the believers that are believers because someone told them to be believers that are to be deplored. They have evidence for and against a God in front of them and choose to ignore the overwhelmingly negative evidence in favor of a God for mere hearsay. They are the ones we are trying to convince with reason and logic here - with what success, I can't say.

Doc

Why would you do everything god tells you to do?
Even if god was real it doesn't mean everybody should do what he says.
28-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Donot want,
If God is real and hellfire is real, you bet I would do what he says. He says "Jump", I say "How high?"

Why would you not obey? Think- hellfire for eternity or eternity in heaven with Pat Boone muzak in the background. The choice is simple.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
28-02-2014, 09:05 AM
(28-02-2014 09:05 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Donot want,
If God is real and hellfire is real, you bet I would do what he says. He says "Jump", I say "How high?"

Why would you not obey? Think- hellfire for eternity or eternity in heaven with Pat Boone muzak in the background. The choice is simple.

Doc

So punishment is only reason you would obey?
You would say no if there was no punishment?
28-02-2014, 09:10 AM
OK. Which God are we talking about? If YHWH, punishment, eternal punishment at that, is all that I need.

Doc
28-02-2014, 09:12 AM
(28-02-2014 09:10 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  OK. Which God are we talking about? If YHWH, punishment, eternal punishment at that, is all that I need.

Doc

My question is would you follow command from god which you find immoral and god will do nothing to you if you decide to ignore it?
28-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Donotwant,
If there is a god, I would get my morals from him. That's why Muslims and Christians behave for the most part as they do. I would have no other source of morality. I would do as that god dictated. For me to disagree would be to say that there is another source of morality. That leads to the question-should I worship that source?
Doc