Why do Christians trust YHWH?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 09:17 AM
RE: Why do Christians trust YHWH?
(28-02-2014 09:15 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Donotwant,
If there is a god, I would get my morals from him. That's why Muslims and Christians behave for the most part as they do. I would have no other source of morality. I would do as that god dictated. For me to disagree would be to say that there is another source of morality. That leads to the question-should I worship that source?
Doc

And if god is evil what do you do?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 09:18 AM
How would you know he is evil?
Doc
28-02-2014, 09:19 AM
(28-02-2014 09:18 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  How would you know he is evil?
Doc

By evaluating his commands and actions from secular perspective.
28-02-2014, 09:20 AM
What makes the secular perspective "better" than God's command?

DOc
28-02-2014, 09:21 AM
(28-02-2014 09:05 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Donot want,
If God is real and hellfire is real, you bet I would do what he says. He says "Jump", I say "How high?"

Why would you not obey? Think- hellfire for eternity or eternity in heaven with Pat Boone muzak in the background. The choice is simple.

Doc

Ahhh... Murderous Pascal's Wager. This is a new one to me, but the logic seems sound.
28-02-2014, 09:23 AM
(28-02-2014 09:20 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  What makes the secular perspective "better" than God's command?

DOc

Do you think rape is wrong doc?
28-02-2014, 09:30 AM
I think rape is wrong, but then I don't believe in a God. My morals come from a social norm. In other countries, child marriage and polygamy are acceptable and that's the social norm.

The question is - if there is a God, would his morals supersede the social norm? Now, assuming that all morals stem from this God, then the answer is yes.

Doc
28-02-2014, 09:38 AM
So if god shows up tomorrow and tells you that rape is fine. You can either trust gods command or trust your judgement(dunno where your morals come from btw). Which one do you go with?
28-02-2014, 09:48 AM
(28-02-2014 09:38 AM)donotwant Wrote:  You can either trust gods command or trust your judgement(dunno where your morals come from btw). Which one do you go with?

There's your dilemma right there. The bold part tells you that your morals are relative. So, why not go with God's directive? It's wise to go with whatever the stronger being tells you to do.

Of course, if there is no punishment, and you don't feel like it, or you find it repugnant, you have the option of saying no.
Doc
28-02-2014, 09:54 AM
(28-02-2014 09:48 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 09:38 AM)donotwant Wrote:  You can either trust gods command or trust your judgement(dunno where your morals come from btw). Which one do you go with?

There's your dilemma right there. The bold part tells you that your morals are relative. So, why not go with God's directive? It's wise to go with whatever the stronger being tells you to do.

Of course, if there is no punishment, and you don't feel like it, or you find it repugnant, you have the option of saying no.
Doc

I know where my morals come from I was talking about yours. So in your case might makes right.
That's exactly what happened in nazy germany^^