Why do Christians trust YHWH?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Why do Christians trust YHWH?
Donot want,
The statement was rhetorical. I was not questioning your morals. Now that we are on the topic, where do your morals come from?

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 10:00 AM
(28-02-2014 09:56 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Donot want,
The statement was rhetorical. I was not questioning your morals. Now that we are on the topic, where do your morals come from?

Doc

My morality is based on well beings of sentient beings. It comes from my brain.
28-02-2014, 10:15 AM
(28-02-2014 10:00 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 09:56 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Donot want,

Doc

My morality is based on well beings of sentient beings. It comes from my brain.

Do you eat meat? If so, how do you justify that?
Doc
28-02-2014, 10:32 AM
(28-02-2014 10:15 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 10:00 AM)donotwant Wrote:  My morality is based on well beings of sentient beings. It comes from my brain.

Do you eat meat? If so, how do you justify that?
Doc

It's a temporary necessity. I evolved in such a way that I have to eat meat to be healthy. But if we find a way to grow meat in a lab without need to kill animals I find no problem with that.
I think animals should be killed in painless ways though and be treated good when they are alive.
28-02-2014, 10:35 AM
(28-02-2014 10:32 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 10:15 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Do you eat meat? If so, how do you justify that?
Doc

It's a temporary necessity. I evolved in such a way that I have to eat meat to be healthy. But if we find a way to grow meat in a lab without need to kill animals I find no problem with that.
But I support painless animal killing.

But my point is proved. In this case, we humans kill the poor defenceless animals for our food. Might makes right. Its the same thing. If a god sees us as food or service animals, his might makes right.

Doc
28-02-2014, 10:39 AM
(28-02-2014 10:35 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 10:32 AM)donotwant Wrote:  It's a temporary necessity. I evolved in such a way that I have to eat meat to be healthy. But if we find a way to grow meat in a lab without need to kill animals I find no problem with that.
But I support painless animal killing.

But my point is proved. In this case, we humans kill the poor defenceless animals for our food. Might makes right. Its the same thing. If a god sees us as food or service animals, his might makes right.

Doc

No it doesn't because it is not a necessity Wink
We can't be healthy without eating meat. He doesn't have to eat anything at all.
Besides as I said if I could grow meat in a lab I would. But I am not omnipotent. God is therefore he has no excuses.
28-02-2014, 10:46 AM
The point I was endeavoring to make is this. If there is a God, he gets to do what he wants and he has the means to enforce it. We could not argue with him because we would have no other source of morality. Any other source would be relative (your point about eating meat proves that) not absolute like God's and so his card trumps all.

While stimulating, this talk does not appear to be going anywhere, so I'll sign off here. Have a good one!

Doc
28-02-2014, 10:52 AM
(28-02-2014 10:46 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  The point I was endeavoring to make is this. If there is a God, he gets to do what he wants and he has the means to enforce it. We could not argue with him because we would have no other source of morality. Any other source would be relative (your point about eating meat proves that) not absolute like God's and so his card trumps all.

While stimulating, this talk does not appear to be going anywhere, so I'll sign off here. Have a good one!

Doc

Ok keep running Big Grin
As for no other source of morality that's just wrong because I just demonstrated that my morality comes from my brain. So we have at least 2 sources. And since you never talked to god your morals did not come from god. Now we have 3 sources.
And if tomorrow god will show up and give me bunch of immoral commands I am gonna go with my morals not his unlike you who will do anything god tells you to do no matter how evil it is. Which means my morality has basis and you are just a slave of a tyrant.
Btw just because god said it doesn't mean it's absolute. Being absolute means being true independent of who said it.
So anybody who is fan of divine command theory is just another moral relativist.
28-02-2014, 12:14 PM
You don't need to eat meat to be healthy, just ask a vegetarian. Supplements can give you everything you get from meat, chicken and fish. :-P

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2014, 12:15 PM
(28-02-2014 12:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  You don't need to eat meat to be healthy, just ask a vegetarian. Supplements can give you everything you get from meat, chicken and fish. :-P

I tried to be a vegetarian myself but working out was much harder for some reason.