Why do Christians trust YHWH?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 06:05 PM
RE: Why to Christians trust YHWH?
(19-02-2014 05:15 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 04:58 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Almighty God presumably has a lot more tools in his tool chest other than killing. If he created the universe, I'm sure he had some better options then "kill the parents and their kids because I'm mad at the adults".
Like what? He didn't want children to stay with evil/bad parents. Where should He place them?

Supposedly he's all powerful, right? Why the need to have the Hebrew tribes slaughter them?

Why couldn't he just make them die painlessly? Or better yet, just instantly annihilate them?

There, I just came up with (slightly) better options than having a bunch Bronze Age tribal thugs slaughter a bunch of children.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Simon Moon's post
19-02-2014, 06:22 PM
RE: Why do Christians trust YHWH?
(19-02-2014 06:05 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  Supposedly he's all powerful, right? Why the need to have the Hebrew tribes slaughter them?

Why couldn't he just make them die painlessly? Or better yet, just instantly annihilate them?

There, I just came up with (slightly) better options than having a bunch Bronze Age tribal thugs slaughter a bunch of children.

Actually, I was talking about the flood and the 10th plague; two examples of children being killed for the sins of the adults directly by YHWH. So, yeah, everything you just said plus some accountability on top.

Why not just kill those responsible? It's be pretty easy.

Dick YHWH: "Angel of death: kill the first born sons of everyone in the city unless they have blood smeared around their door frame. Yes, the babies too. Why? I'm punishing the Egyptians for enslaving my people. No, I don't care that the babies aren't culpable; I'm making a point."

Slightly less of a dick YHWH: "Angel of death: kill all the people who enslaved my people."

There. Done.
19-02-2014, 07:27 PM
(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, social services should be killing children instead of trying to take care of them?
No, Social Services should take of them. When God removed children from their bad parents He took care of them. There were no better homes at that land at that time for those children so God took them to spirit world(paradise).

(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  When social services places a kid with a better family, are they behaving more morally or less morally than YHWH?
Neither. They do what they believe is the best for the children and God did what He knew would be the best for the children.

(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If a human kills a person, and YHWH lets them, was it that person's time to go? If so, if we all killed ourselves to get to heaven, wouldn't it, by definition, be our time to go?
If a person kills someone because Yahweh told to do so then it means it is time to go for that person. His/her time on Earth is over.
If I decide to kill someone for any reason besides defending myself I am in big trouble. I decide when this person has to go. Only God decides when we come here and when we have to leave.
We are not coming here only to obtain physical bodies. If it was the only reason then we had to live just a moment.

(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 05:15 PM)Alla Wrote:  First, I don't believe that can be this kind of good reason.
Second, I don't believe He would lie if it was this kind of reason.
Why? How can you question an all-powerful god?
All-powerful God can do what ever He wants. But He gave one revelation: if He lies He will stop being God.
I believe Him, it makes sense to me. Someone can not be a liar and continue to be God or perfect.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-02-2014, 07:39 PM
(19-02-2014 04:23 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif]

Careful! Confused
[Image: 651.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
19-02-2014, 07:55 PM
(19-02-2014 07:27 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, social services should be killing children instead of trying to take care of them?
No, Social Services should take of them. When God removed children from their bad parents He took care of them. There were no better homes at that land at that time for those children so God took them to spirit world(paradise).

(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  When social services places a kid with a better family, are they behaving more morally or less morally than YHWH?
Neither. They do what they believe is the best for the children and God did what He knew would be the best for the children.

(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If a human kills a person, and YHWH lets them, was it that person's time to go? If so, if we all killed ourselves to get to heaven, wouldn't it, by definition, be our time to go?
If a person kills someone because Yahweh told to do so then it means it is time to go for that person. His/her time on Earth is over.
If I decide to kill someone for any reason besides defending myself I am in big trouble. I decide when this person has to go. Only God decides when we come here and when we have to leave.
We are not coming here only to obtain physical bodies. If it was the only reason then we had to live just a moment.

(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Why? How can you question an all-powerful god?
All-powerful God can do what ever He wants. But He gave one revelation: if He lies He will stop being God.
I believe Him, it makes sense to me. Someone can not be a liar and continue to be God or perfect.
Do you even read what you say??

Everytime You reply is to justify god's nonsense with your nonsense. None of it makes sense.

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
19-02-2014, 08:10 PM
(19-02-2014 04:51 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 04:40 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Most people do make informed desicions about possible spouses and children.
Considering divorce rates, abortions and child abuse, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Alpha, by this statement, I have to ask, are you suggesting there are more abortions than births, more children are beaten than not, and more marriages end in divorce than not? Considering this is an unfounded, unproven assertion, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Since Timber said "most" and you disagreed, please provide proof that his statement is wrong.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-02-2014, 08:48 PM
(19-02-2014 01:34 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, according to the Bible, YHWH is the source of all of our morality. He tells us not to kill, steal, rape lie, or covet, yet, he frequently breaks his own rules. He's on record for murdering the crap out of lots of people. Even children!

I can't tell whether you are being literal or rhetorical.

Yahweh is a tribal god that eventually became a universal god. Yahweh's rules are tribal rules that apply to his tribe, i.e. the Hebrews/Israelites/Judaeans/Jews. That is why he instructs the slaughter of other tribes. There was no contradiction in historical context. The contradiction emerges only when Yahweh becomes a universalist deity.

The OT is full of Yahweh telling the Hebrews how great they are and that they have his protection because that is the standard role of the tribal deity. The Amalekites, for example, were a rival tribe that did not worship Yahweh so Yahwehs rules don't apply to them. Don't mistake tribal morality for universal morality.

Christians don't trust Yahweh. They trust the Triune deity of which Yahweh is one-third. The other two-thirds appear are more trustworthy and less tribal. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-02-2014, 10:43 PM
(19-02-2014 04:51 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 04:40 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Most people do make informed desicions about possible spouses and children.
Considering divorce rates, abortions and child abuse, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Again not supporting your case for faith. The analogy to other bad decisions implies your decision to believe with no evidence is a mistake. Thanks again for doing my work for me.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
20-02-2014, 06:26 AM
(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Dude that's a non-sequitur.. Dodgy
I disagree. You're insisting on a narrow definition of day and night. I don't see why the alternating periods of light and dark described in the first few verses of Genesis can't be called day and night.
Quote:Just be honest you don't think miracles are absurd?
No, I think they're extraordinary. You know, extraordinary evidence for Jesus' extraordinary claims.
Quote:well i personally do because they defy&break the laws of physics as we know it and thus its absurd to believe in that otherwise i might as well believe in spiderman.
What do you think of the idea that inert matter just came to life? I find that absurd, and analogous to comic books and fairy tales. You probably don't, and will pretend that speculation regarding abiogenesis is evidence.

Quote:I'm not speculating anything i'm merely pointing out the scientific illiteracy of all the ancient literature quran,bible,Vedas anything.
You don't speculate about the origin of the universe or of life?
Quote:What is that supposed to mean? people used to believe all kinds of crazy stuff back in days basically you're just committing argumentum ad populum fallacy.
Quote:and the definition of absurd
Faith in the unreasonable is absurd.
It means that when you bring reasonableness into the discussion, then majority view is not argumentum ad populum. People throw these terms around without considering their scope and limitations.
20-02-2014, 06:29 AM
(19-02-2014 08:10 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Alpha, by this statement, I have to ask, are you suggesting there are more abortions than births, more children are beaten than not, and more marriages end in divorce than not?
No, I'm saying that there are significant numbers of those things.