Why do Christians trust YHWH?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Why do Christians trust YHWH?
(20-02-2014 10:11 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 09:55 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  What Copout?
Please, don't play dumb. According to mainstream scientific thought abiogenesis occurred at least once. Do you find that idea absurd?

Whether or not the individual finds abiogenesis absurd, it neither invalidates the whole of science, nor validates your blind conjecture about the origin of life.

Certainly, more empirical evidence has been offered as support, whereas your claims have no empirical support.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 11:24 AM
RE: Why do Christians trust YHWH?
(20-02-2014 10:11 AM)Alla Wrote:  When Hebrew tribes kept their covenants they were becoming stronger. They could overcome their enemies. They were becoming more intelligent and more strong than their enemies.

We're not talking about their enemies, the mythology says they were children.

Quote:This is the point: here on earth we have to overcome things and to grow(progress).

Even if it means slaughtering children. Great....

Quote:God taught tribes that when they are keeping covenants they can do anything because God is on their side.

I'm sorry to say, you have completely sacrificed your humanity and morality in deference to your chosen Bronze Age myth.

So sad...

And people wonder why atheists dislike religion so much.

Quote:Imagine if God did for us EVERYTHING. We would never GROW/PROGRESS.
Imagine if God did for tribes everything, they would never learn anything.

Yeah...

Yahweh didn't want to take away the pleasure of the Hebrews slaughtering children by killing them himself painlessly. How thoughtful.

The only good thing about the deity that you worship, is that it doesn't exist.
[+] 3 users Like Simon Moon's post
20-02-2014, 11:35 AM
(20-02-2014 11:24 AM)Simon Moon Wrote:  The only good thing about the deity that you worship, is that it doesn't exist.
20-02-2014, 11:45 AM
(20-02-2014 11:35 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  The only good thing about the deity that you worship, is that it doesn't exist.
[
And that my friend is just an understatement!

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
20-02-2014, 11:50 AM
(20-02-2014 11:24 AM)Simon Moon Wrote:  The only good thing about the deity that you worship, is that it doesn't exist.
If god doesn't exist, then all these things you hate come from the hearts of men. Don't see why that makes you feel any better. Consider
20-02-2014, 11:52 AM
(19-02-2014 07:27 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, social services should be killing children instead of trying to take care of them?
No, Social Services should take of them. When God removed children from their bad parents He took care of them. There were no better homes at that land at that time for those children so God took them to spirit world(paradise).

So, no matter what happens to our bodies in this world, it doesn't really matter due to the afterlife?

Again, it seems like we're all behaving rather sub-optimally by not offing ourselves and getting into heaven. Also, when God decides to punish the parents, he arbitrarily decides it's the children's "time to go", too?

(19-02-2014 07:27 PM)Alla Wrote:  If a person kills someone because Yahweh told to do so then it means it is time to go for that person. His/her time on Earth is over.
If I decide to kill someone for any reason besides defending myself I am in big trouble. I decide when this person has to go. Only God decides when we come here and when we have to leave.
We are not coming here only to obtain physical bodies. If it was the only reason then we had to live just a moment.

So, are you saying you're actually capable of subverting God's will? As in, it's not Joe's time, you kill Joe, and that's that? God didn't want Joe to die, it wasn't his will, but it happened anyway?

I've said in the past that I find these types of apologetics creepy. Do you understand why I feel that way, or do you want me to explain it?

(19-02-2014 05:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Why? How can you question an all-powerful god?
All-powerful God can do what ever He wants. But He gave one revelation: if He lies He will stop being God.
I believe Him, it makes sense to me. Someone can not be a liar and continue to be God or perfect.
[/quote]
How do you know he's not lying? You're trusting him, but you don't know. How do you know the revelation is accurate?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
20-02-2014, 11:53 AM
(20-02-2014 11:50 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
If god doesn't exist, then all these things you hate come from the hearts of men. Don't see why that makes you feel any better. Consider
I'm a misanthrope. It used to bother me. It has ceased to do so.
20-02-2014, 11:55 AM
(19-02-2014 08:48 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 01:34 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, according to the Bible, YHWH is the source of all of our morality. He tells us not to kill, steal, rape lie, or covet, yet, he frequently breaks his own rules. He's on record for murdering the crap out of lots of people. Even children!

I can't tell whether you are being literal or rhetorical.

Yahweh is a tribal god that eventually became a universal god. Yahweh's rules are tribal rules that apply to his tribe, i.e. the Hebrews/Israelites/Judaeans/Jews. That is why he instructs the slaughter of other tribes. There was no contradiction in historical context. The contradiction emerges only when Yahweh becomes a universalist deity.

The OT is full of Yahweh telling the Hebrews how great they are and that they have his protection because that is the standard role of the tribal deity. The Amalekites, for example, were a rival tribe that did not worship Yahweh so Yahwehs rules don't apply to them. Don't mistake tribal morality for universal morality.

Christians don't trust Yahweh. They trust the Triune deity of which Yahweh is one-third. The other two-thirds appear are more trustworthy and less tribal. Smile

I still feel my point stands.

Regardless of whether or not YHWH is just a tribal deity, or whether he's part of a trinity, he's still handed down rules to which he doesn't listen. To make YHWH look less creepy, apologists give excuses for why he can kill. That logic could be expanded to lying. Ergo, he cannot be trusted. Saying it's okay for him to kill but not to lie because of [reasons] is likely special pleading.

Also, if "don't kill" and "don't lie" were tribal laws, why do Christians follow them? I'm confused why you're making this distinction. If I'd said "God" instead of "YHWH", would that have been better in your opinion?
20-02-2014, 11:55 AM
(20-02-2014 10:30 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  What bullshit are you talking about? abiogenesis is a just a hypothesis which has yet to be proven and scientists don't assume anything until its proven unlike theists of course.
Wow, you're really a coward on this.
20-02-2014, 11:58 AM
(20-02-2014 10:37 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Whether or not the individual finds abiogenesis absurd, it neither invalidates the whole of science, nor validates your blind conjecture about the origin of life.
It goes to IA's statement, "in normal life we have faith in things based on assessments of actual evidence." IA admits that abiogenesis is just hypothesis not proven by evidence, but he doesn't want to admit that he believes that one way or another it occurred, despite the absurdity of it.