Why do Christians trust the Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Why do Christians trust the Bible?
I wonder why Christians trust the Bible as a valid source of information for what happened. I'm not talking about the obviousness of all the unsubstantiated accounts of magic happening. I don't mean how their apologetics show YHWH is untrustworthy (I already touched on that). I just mean the overall account of things:
  • Stories being told by authors who had no witnesses to the events.
  • Books being written by people who had "divine revelations".
  • Satan as "the Deceiver".
The first two bullet points show how the story is written by people with no accountability for their fantastic claims. Hell, people have analyzed the texts and know for sure that Paul didn't write all the epistles. The exact number of them is in dispute, but we know that people claiming to be someone who had a divine revelation from God got their books inserted into biblical canon, and that doesn't even speak to whether or not Paul actually did have any revelation. How do people know this? How would they even be able to check to see if he's telling the truth? They are warned about false teacher and prophets and to not listen to them, but they have no way to be able to check the veracity of the author's claims. They could be false teacher poisoning the well against dissenting points of view.

And on the topic of poisoning the well, what about poor Satan? We are told flat-out that he is wrong, he is a liar, and to never trust him. This is a one-sided story where we are told to never talk to the other side to try and figure out what really happened. In any other situation, this would be highly suspicious and it would look like someone is trying to hide something. Put it in the context of religion, and suddenly everything is fine and it gets a free pass.

Shouldn't this alone be enough to put doubt into any adherent? Ignoring the absurdity of all the claims, the total lack of evidence, and the demonstrable wrongness of parts of the Bible, the book itself looks sketchy as hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-10-2014, 09:03 AM
RE: Why do Christians trust the Bible?
What you describe is part of the reason I stopped believing. A realization that the Bible was written by mere men and it deserved no special priority in it's authority, it should stand on it's own without apologists providing their subjective interpretations.

That's when the house of cards collapses.....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-10-2014, 09:32 AM
I don't think trust enters into the mix whatsoever. It's not about trust , it's all about the story and traditions. Humans everywhere love to to hear stories and tell stories. It's one of the things humans do best and it separates us from other animals. When these stories are told over generations and finally end up in print they're believed as true, particularly if the story involves the lure of an eternal afterlife.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Most of the Christians I know don't seem to know very much about the Bible, and what they think they know is not accurate.
[+] 4 users Like Rik's post
09-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Thought this would be a good place to mention this. When I started on the path to disbelief, one of the questions I asked was - If the Bible was written by mere men, what characteristics of this religious text would indicate that it was not divinely inspired?

Here are a few:

1. Making ludicrous claims with no explanation as to why any peculiar verse should be believed.

2. Making ludicrous claims that blatantly contradict basic science. (The construction of the firmament in Genesis for example)

3. Showing a moral tenor that is perfectly consistent with the times in which scripture was written. (animal sacrifice, genocidal wars in the name of YHWH)

4. Blatant contradictions. (The first two chapters of Genesis, for example)

5. An inability to explain the problem of evil. (Job says don't question god, that's it)

6. A god that is contradictory and inconsistent.

7. A god that is incredibly stupid. (Floods the world, instead of using a divine heart attack on the unrighteous and still doesn't accomplish the objective of the flood)

These, and many other reasons are why the Bible is not a credible source and is the ultimate tool in deconversion from this faith.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Because Mommy and Daddy said so.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
09-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Nice post, Robby. I had written up a response to it but deleted it.

Hopefully this thread can hold up a little longer before the infestation of trolls start in.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-10-2014, 10:29 AM
I have no real explanation why this book of fables is any more true than any other ancient writings on mythology. When I press my baptist relatives on this question I get the response that christian scripture is the only one with a "living god". So it appears that they like the idea of a living god so they look at the whole book as true, and all others as fake. Just becasue they like one attribute given to a particular god makes the then swallow the whole story. I get the sense that these folks have this desire to adhere to some faith based idea for some reason, then pick one they like or are exposed to, and jump right into the deep end of the pool of delusion and comfort.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
09-10-2014, 10:40 AM
(09-10-2014 07:30 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I wonder why Christians trust the Bible as a valid source of information for what happened. I'm not talking about the obviousness of all the unsubstantiated accounts of magic happening. I don't mean how their apologetics show YHWH is untrustworthy (I already touched on that). I just mean the overall account of things:
  • Stories being told by authors who had no witnesses to the events.
  • Books being written by people who had "divine revelations".
  • Satan as "the Deceiver".
The first two bullet points show how the story is written by people with no accountability for their fantastic claims. Hell, people have analyzed the texts and know for sure that Paul didn't write all the epistles. The exact number of them is in dispute, but we know that people claiming to be someone who had a divine revelation from God got their books inserted into biblical canon, and that doesn't even speak to whether or not Paul actually did have any revelation. How do people know this? How would they even be able to check to see if he's telling the truth? They are warned about false teacher and prophets and to not listen to them, but they have no way to be able to check the veracity of the author's claims. They could be false teacher poisoning the well against dissenting points of view.

And on the topic of poisoning the well, what about poor Satan? We are told flat-out that he is wrong, he is a liar, and to never trust him. This is a one-sided story where we are told to never talk to the other side to try and figure out what really happened. In any other situation, this would be highly suspicious and it would look like someone is trying to hide something. Put it in the context of religion, and suddenly everything is fine and it gets a free pass.

Shouldn't this alone be enough to put doubt into any adherent? Ignoring the absurdity of all the claims, the total lack of evidence, and the demonstrable wrongness of parts of the Bible, the book itself looks sketchy as hell.

I dont think validity is the point. Most Christians view the bible as "guidance".

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
09-10-2014, 11:14 AM
From what I've seen many seem to only read the parts they like and even then they don't compare those parts to each other. Story A and story B may be completely at odds with each other but since they are only ever considered in isolation that isn't apparent. Cognitive dissonance raised to an art form.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP