Why do Creationists keep using the same old arguments?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
18-11-2015, 06:42 PM
RE: Why do Creationists keep using the same old arguments?
(18-11-2015 12:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 09:42 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  If the belief is the truth, then all of this stuff about how/why it spread becomes quite meaningless, doesn't it?

Truth? Seriously? Since you have no evidence, declaring it the truth just makes you an idiot. Drinking Beverage

Keyword: "If"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2015, 06:48 PM
(18-11-2015 12:41 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There is more to life than believing or not believing in God.

Coming from an unbeliever, it doesn't surprise me that you would utter those words.

(18-11-2015 12:41 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Plenty of people who are even described to themselves as something like anti-theist are much more fine with people who are "Christians" but understand evolution and the origins of life.

Understand what about evolution and the origins of life?
18-11-2015, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2015 06:53 PM by ClydeLee.)
(18-11-2015 06:48 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 12:41 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There is more to life than believing or not believing in God.

Coming from an unbeliever, it doesn't surprise me that you would utter those words.

(18-11-2015 12:41 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Plenty of people who are even described to themselves as something like anti-theist are much more fine with people who are "Christians" but understand evolution and the origins of life.

Understand what about evolution and the origins of life?

What type of question is that? what is the "what about" to understand? That sounds like the phrase of someone who doesn't actually understand what something is asks. There isn't anything "about" it being posed, you're just shoehorning that in for some reasons.

Perhaps you would actually understand the difference of these believe situations as someone being Biblical Literalist vs Interpretative understandings of the truths in the belief & personal relationship/revelation through god that can disregard the Bible as the central authority of one's belief.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-11-2015, 11:00 AM
It's so ironic and amusing. Every time I see the name Call of the Wild on this forum I think of atheist, Jack London, the author of the book, Call of the Wild, and every time I think of Jack London I think of this quote.....

“I believe that when I am dead, I am dead. I believe that with my death I am just as much obliterated as the last mosquito you and I squashed.”

Reading forum member's annihilate Call of the Wild on a daily basis is similar to seeing that mosquito Jack wrote about continually being squashed.

Just sayin'.

Please continue.Popcorn

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-11-2015, 11:09 AM
(18-11-2015 09:42 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 11:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is not. It is an explanation of the spread of the belief, not the truth value of the belief.

If the belief is the truth, then all of this stuff about how/why it spread becomes quite meaningless, doesn't it?

Once again, you don't even address the point which is that your accusation of 'genetic fallacy' is simply wrong. Try addressing that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2015, 11:11 AM
(07-09-2015 11:04 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  It's like a broken record.

A creationist I've recently run into spouts of a number of quote-mined Richard Dawkins and Stephen Jay Gould snippets and thereby claims they have doubts about evolution.

This nonsense has been around for years and has been exposed so many times before I'm at a loss to explain why anyone would consider trying to put this forward as reasonable - then again I'm dealing with a creationist.

One of the quotes he's used is even provided as an example of quote-mining in Wikipedia!

Why do they carry on trying to use tired arguments? I can see why they might think it would work with the naive or those world view is predicated on faith. But whenever I find a creationist quoting science or scientists, I immediately think to myself...."Here we go again....."

Cognitive dissonance? Delusion? Stupidity?

This is what happens when you pull the curtain back. Humans don't like their fantasies exposed.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
20-11-2015, 10:15 AM
(19-11-2015 11:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 09:42 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  If the belief is the truth, then all of this stuff about how/why it spread becomes quite meaningless, doesn't it?

Once again, you don't even address the point which is that your accusation of 'genetic fallacy' is simply wrong. Try addressing that.

Yeah, and "once again, you don't even address the point at which I accused him of committing the genetic fallacy in the same post prior to the accusation in question", which mean that you obviously granted my earlier assessment of his fallacious reasoning and thereby bypassed it to focus on the less obvious fallacious one.

As far as the accusation in question, it is basically one of those things were "if he meant it this way, it is fallacious, but if he meant it that way, it isn't fallacious"...and since he had ALREADY committed the fallacy, I took the latter part of his spewage as a continuation of the former spewage.

But that is neither here nor there. And I also noticed you weren't concerned about me addressing this when you responded to my post #146, which lead me to believe that you had nothing else better to do but to go back and monitor my posts closely just to find a reason to bitch about something.

But, when a guy takes selfie shots with his cat and posts them online, I guess I shouldn't expect anything less (not that this has any relevance, it is just funny). Laugh out load
20-11-2015, 12:15 PM
(19-11-2015 11:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  

What's that old meme about tge pigeon and the chessboard?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
20-11-2015, 01:47 PM
(20-11-2015 12:15 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 11:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  Once again, you don't even address the point which is that your accusation of 'genetic fallacy' is simply wrong. Try addressing that.

What's that old meme about tge pigeon and the chessboard?

Try Google...by typing in "pigeon and the cheeseboard meme". Google will see you through a shit storm Thumbsup
20-11-2015, 03:56 PM
(20-11-2015 10:15 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  But, when a guy takes selfie shots with his cat and posts them online, I guess I shouldn't expect anything less (not that this has any relevance, it is just funny). Laugh out load

Is that your best shot? Weak. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]