Why do Creationists keep using the same old arguments?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
07-09-2015, 09:59 PM
RE: Why do Creationists keep using the same old arguments?
(07-09-2015 08:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Looks like someone found the "create a creationist argument" script. Tongue

[Image: Lionel_Richie_Hello_Lost_Sign_1.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
07-09-2015, 10:04 PM
It's all they have, they're stuck with them.
07-09-2015, 10:57 PM
(07-09-2015 11:04 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  It's like a broken record.

A creationist I've recently run into spouts of a number of quote-mined Richard Dawkins and Stephen Jay Gould snippets and thereby claims they have doubts about evolution.

This nonsense has been around for years and has been exposed so many times before I'm at a loss to explain why anyone would consider trying to put this forward as reasonable - then again I'm dealing with a creationist.

One of the quotes he's used is even provided as an example of quote-mining in Wikipedia!

Why do they carry on trying to use tired arguments? I can see why they might think it would work with the naive or those world view is predicated on faith. But whenever I find a creationist quoting science or scientists, I immediately think to myself...."Here we go again....."

Cognitive dissonance? Delusion? Stupidity?

So naturalism is not based ultimatively on faith ?? LOL......
07-09-2015, 11:05 PM
(07-09-2015 10:57 PM)Godexists Wrote:  So naturalism is not based ultimately on faith ?? LOL......

As has been demonstrated, shown, linked to yourself many times... No, no it is not....

*Begins counting down to thread spam of nonsense reply in ....5....4....3....*
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
08-09-2015, 01:00 AM
(07-09-2015 10:57 PM)Godexists Wrote:  So naturalism is not based ultimatively on faith ?? LOL......

You have zero understanding of the position taken by your opponents. I would hazard a guess this is the main reason you are ineffective. Aside from the fact that you argue from the point of the supernatural/fantasy, of course.

We are not driven by a belief system, as you yourself are.

Naturalism is based upon evidence taken from the natural world. Proof positive, testable evidence.

The supernatural has no evidence to support it. You understand this fact, right?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
08-09-2015, 01:12 AM

A creationist I've recently run into spouts of a number of quote-mined Richard Dawkins and Stephen Jay Gould snippets and thereby claims they have doubts about evolution.

This nonsense has been around for years and has been exposed so many times before I'm at a loss to explain why anyone would consider trying to put this forward as reasonable - then again I'm dealing with a creationist.

One of the quotes he's used is even provided as an example of quote-mining in Wikipedia!

Why do they carry on trying to use tired arguments? I can see why they might think it would work with the naive or those world view is predicated on faith. But whenever I find a creationist quoting science or scientists, I immediately think to myself...."Here we go again....."

I think that their "arguments" are more for their own use so they didn't need to look convincing for outsiders.

Also while stupid said arguments could simply work especially in country highly influenced with religion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-09-2015, 07:28 AM
(07-09-2015 09:56 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  No I meant incredulity. Creationists are unwilling or unable to believe in another option; namely evolution.

Credulity is being easily convinced when there is no good reason for it. Since evolution is supported by mountains of evidence, accepting it is not credulity.

I find it incredulous that people are stupid enough to believe in religion. People's belief in creationism is a classic case of credulity: They accept their preachers' claims without any imaginable reason for doing so.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
08-09-2015, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 08:00 AM by Tonechaser77.)
(08-09-2015 07:28 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 09:56 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  No I meant incredulity. Creationists are unwilling or unable to believe in another option; namely evolution.

Credulity is being easily convinced when there is no good reason for it. Since evolution is supported by mountains of evidence, accepting it is not credulity.

I find it incredulous that people are stupid enough to believe in religion. People's belief in creationism is a classic case of credulity: They accept their preachers' claims without any imaginable reason for doing so.

I think we are splitting hairs here. Smile You are correct in saying that credulity is the willingness to believe something too easily, especially without evidence. (In fact that is dictionary.com exact definition.) So in this manner we can say creationists are too eager to believe in the creation account that the bible states.

However, they are incredulous when it it comes to evolution. Incredulous is showing a lack of willingness to believe in something. Yes there is a lot of evidence for evolution, but creationists are still being incredulous by not believing it. They are still showing a lack of willingness to believe.

Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly but that's how I've always interpreted it.

**Crickets** -- God
08-09-2015, 08:06 AM
(07-09-2015 10:57 PM)Godexists Wrote:  

So naturalism is not based ultimatively on faith ?? LOL......

No, you dimwit, it's based on evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2015, 09:13 AM
(08-09-2015 07:28 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  

It's brainwashing, not stupidity. Children are raised in this environment, spoon-fed religion as fact. If you want to see brainwashing in action--check out any of Kent Hovind's videos where he lectures children while their parents sit in the audience. Scary stuff. Children are impressionable. They will believe what their community, friends, and families tell them is truth. Especially when you add in a scary monster who will torture you for eternity if you don't accept God as truth. You plant this seed when children are little and reiterate it over and over and over again until it sticks. That is how brainwashing works. The brain becomes conditioned to view that as a true belief and to fear hell. This is why adult creationists believe as they do and refuse to acknowledge anything that goes against the direct teachings of the Bible.

As a former Christian, I was taught that you do not question God, period. You don't even go there--if you do, you risk shunning from family/friends/community and could wind up in hell. As an atheist it sounds crazy to me now that I believed in any of this. But at the time, due to all the indoctrination, it all made perfect sense to me.

To the OP--Creationists have the same tired arguments because they are taught the same tired arguments. If you look up any of the creationist/apologist books on Amazon, for instance, they all say the same thing. If you listen carefully to their wording, they are all reciting the same exact lines. Ex. Why did God give us free will? Because he wanted children, not robots. I heard it phrased the *exact* same way from several different pastors when I started asking questions. I also found this same line in several creationist books. It's all an off-shoot of brainwashing.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post