Why do Creationists keep using the same old arguments?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
08-09-2015, 09:27 AM
RE: Why do Creationists keep using the same old arguments?
(08-09-2015 07:50 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 07:28 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Credulity is being easily convinced when there is no good reason for it. Since evolution is supported by mountains of evidence, accepting it is not credulity.

I find it incredulous that people are stupid enough to believe in religion. People's belief in creationism is a classic case of credulity: They accept their preachers' claims without any imaginable reason for doing so.

I think we are splitting hairs here. Smile You are correct in saying that credulity is the willingness to believe something too easily, especially without evidence. (In fact that is dictionary.com exact definition.) So in this manner we can say creationists are too eager to believe in the creation account that the bible states.

However, they are incredulous when it it comes to evolution. Incredulous is showing a lack of willingness to believe in something. Yes there is a lot of evidence for evolution, but creationists are still being incredulous by not believing it. They are still showing a lack of willingness to believe.

Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly but that's how I've always interpreted it.

Agreed-you are both right. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2015, 09:29 AM
God has yet to give them new ones

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
08-09-2015, 09:35 AM
(08-09-2015 09:29 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  God has yet to give them new ones

So god has time to give people the Aids - as nothing is happening without his say so - but can't be bothered about better arguments for his fanclub?

Maybe it's test of faith, i.e. you are convinced by shitty argument so your faith is strong?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-09-2015, 09:59 AM
I think we run into the same old arguments time & again, because of how, & where, many theists seem to get their "information"/ instructions. They are, nearly literally, a captive audience to someone with bad information (either unintentionally so, or not), & are receiving it as a mass of bodies. I doubt many of them are inquiring further with their speaker or on their own, & therefore stay in the herd mentality of call (challenge to their claim), & response (regurgitate whatever their local faith leader told them), when engaged in one on one conversation. Most theists, it seems, have a script uploaded from their altar of choice, & I think the best way to open their ears a little is to, if possible, get them off their script when having these discussions. Then, I think, we have a chance at getting that single person to listen to what we're saying, & what they're saying, instead of just hearing lines for their role.
08-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Well, all that stuff; and when they use the new IDiot arguments, they're shown to be doubly stupid. One, that they don't understand evolution, two, that they don't even understand the IDiot objections to it. Exactly as so aptly demonstrated by Godexists. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-09-2015, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 05:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-09-2015 09:59 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Is it me you're looking for?
[Image: lionel.jpg]

Let me start by saying, I love you. ... I love you.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-09-2015, 04:36 PM
(08-09-2015 01:00 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 10:57 PM)Godexists Wrote:  So naturalism is not based ultimatively on faith ?? LOL......

You have zero understanding of the position taken by your opponents. I would hazard a guess this is the main reason you are ineffective. Aside from the fact that you argue from the point of the supernatural/fantasy, of course.

We are not driven by a belief system, as you yourself are.

Naturalism is based upon evidence taken from the natural world. Proof positive, testable evidence.

The supernatural has no evidence to support it. You understand this fact, right?

Could I put $10 on the answer being "no?"

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
08-09-2015, 05:43 PM
(08-09-2015 09:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  It's brainwashing, not stupidity. Children are raised in this environment, spoon-fed religion as fact.

When I become Emperor, I'm going to release all the druggies from prison and put these damn preachers in their place. Telling these vicious lies to children, to terrify them into becoming future slaves to the church so they will give it their money, is downright criminal. I am so grateful to my parents for not doing that to me!

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 3 users Like daniel1948's post
09-09-2015, 09:55 AM
(07-09-2015 11:04 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  It's like a broken record.

A creationist I've recently run into spouts of a number of quote-mined Richard Dawkins and Stephen Jay Gould snippets and thereby claims they have doubts about evolution.

This nonsense has been around for years and has been exposed so many times before I'm at a loss to explain why anyone would consider trying to put this forward as reasonable - then again I'm dealing with a creationist.

One of the quotes he's used is even provided as an example of quote-mining in Wikipedia!

Why do they carry on trying to use tired arguments? I can see why they might think it would work with the naive or those world view is predicated on faith. But whenever I find a creationist quoting science or scientists, I immediately think to myself...."Here we go again....."

Cognitive dissonance? Delusion? Stupidity?

I think it is the fact that they take the validity of these arguments on faith. They've been told that they are solid and they accepted it without examination. They aren't trying to get to the truth but to protect their faith commitment. If someone doesn't accept them then it isn't because they are flawed or their premises aren't true, it's because we are out to reject gods no matter what and we are the irrational ones. So what if there are flaws, it's only logic after all and that is Human and therefore flawed to start with.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
09-09-2015, 05:19 PM

#sigh