Why do I watch stuff like this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2016, 05:32 PM
RE: Why do I watch stuff like this?
I gotta admit this seems a valiant attempt at an historical recreation of a famous event. I'm sitting here watching it in another tab and honestly it's pretty gripping. I never liked the movie, that old lady is probably a liar and when she throws the necklace in the ocean, like wow thanks, all these people have dedicated their lives to finding it and you just throw it away?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2016, 08:49 PM
(18-04-2016 09:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Christ! I'm sitting here watching the goddamn Titanic sink. I know how it ends but I'm still watching it. I'm an idiot. Dodgy

Listen to this while watching it...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
20-04-2016, 08:54 PM
(20-04-2016 08:49 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(18-04-2016 09:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Christ! I'm sitting here watching the goddamn Titanic sink. I know how it ends but I'm still watching it. I'm an idiot. Dodgy

Listen to this while watching it...

That's fucking amazing.

'Murican Canadian
20-04-2016, 09:00 PM
(20-04-2016 08:54 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(20-04-2016 08:49 PM)Sam Wrote:  Listen to this while watching it...

That's fucking amazing.

Maybe we should try playing this with it... See if it syncs up in a meaningful way.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2016, 01:47 PM
(19-04-2016 05:18 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  the part where the lifeboat falls into the water upside down and kills someone is the definition of an epic fail.

Didn't happen.

The lifeboat landed upside down, but not on top of anybody. Bride got trapped beneath it as it got swept off the deck, but he was able to escape later and climb atop it. He survived to give testimony at the inquiry.
21-04-2016, 02:30 PM
(21-04-2016 01:47 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(19-04-2016 05:18 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  the part where the lifeboat falls into the water upside down and kills someone is the definition of an epic fail.

Didn't happen.

The lifeboat landed upside down, but not on top of anybody. Bride got trapped beneath it as it got swept off the deck, but he was able to escape later and climb atop it. He survived to give testimony at the inquiry.

I started looking at other videos about the Titanic and even looked up some of the first newspaper editions that came out the morning of the disaster. A few of the newspapers had the ship being towed to shore by another ship and reported that all the passengers were safe. Boy, were they ever wrong.

One of the crew members, can't remember his name, was assigned to the crow's nest to look for icebergs but didn't have the key to a box in the crow's nest that held the binoculars, so this guy was searching the night time ocean with his naked eye. The crew member who had been assigned to that position was reassigned to another ship and forgot to hand over the key to the crow's nest binocular box. It's hard to speculate but just a small thing like one lousy key might have made all the difference. The whole Titanic story is a tale of "what ifs".

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-04-2016, 03:49 PM
(21-04-2016 01:47 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  

Didn't happen.

thats one lucky bastard.
21-04-2016, 04:18 PM
(19-04-2016 03:43 AM)cactus Wrote:  TLDW. Synopsis?

Ernest Borgnine and Shelly Winters get naked.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Anytime I want to know what it was like to be on the Titanic as it sunk ----

I get out the VCR tape of my wedding video.............................

It's amazing and a bit scary how similar they are........................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-04-2016, 06:00 PM
(21-04-2016 02:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ... crew member who had been assigned to that position was reassigned to another ship and forgot to hand over the key to the crow's nest binocular box ...

That's always astounded me that a ship the size of Titanic would have aboard only a single sighting glass. But I guess as a non-military vessel the general attitude was there's not much to see out there and one crew member at a time having the only distant view seemed plenty. But the one glass policy doesn't help when the glass gets lost, or broken, or stolen, or, in this case, locked up.

Ordering reverse engines at the time was a mistake - it reduced rudder effectiveness as it slowed the ship. But these kinds of things only become apparent later under the withering questioning of a board of inquiry equipped with 20/20 hindsight, and no need of binoculars.

I've also wondered if the ship would have stayed afloat long enough for Carpathia's arrival had the crew instantly closed every door and window throughout the ship, opening them only long enough to marshall everyone on board onto the boat deck as fast as possible. It would have forced the inrushing sea to pressurize all those air pockets, slowing its advance - in effect turning the ship into hundreds of bubbles; leaky bubbles, but at least bubbles, not the open mesh all the doors and windows left open created.