Why do americans score so low on Accepting evolution as a fact

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2014, 03:51 PM
RE: Why do americans score so low on Accepting evolution as a fact
I guess I will spam a paper I wrote on this for college to shine a little light on the subject.

The first reason why many in the general public doubt the theory of evolution is due to belief in a supernatural causal effect. If for example, one subscribes to one of the anthropocentric Abrahamic faiths, say for example Christianity, and then points to the Bible as argument from authority to explain the real world around us, and from whence we came, this prevents the believer from accepting empirical evidence of a scientific nature to explain life. Since religious belief requires faith, and faith is the belief in something without evidence, faith is a failed methodology in which to comprehend the inner workings of the world around us.

If a belief is based on insufficient evidence; than any further conclusion drawn from the belief will at best be of questionable value. This cannot point one to the path of truth. As a tool, as an epistemology, as a method of reasoning, as a process for knowing the world, faith cannot adjudicate between competing claims. The ONLY way to figure out which claims about the world are likely true, and which are likely false, is through reason and evidence. There is no other way….yet.

“Science is the antithesis of faith. Science is a process that contains multiple and redundant checks, balances, and safeguards against human bias and error. Science has a built in corrective mechanism..hypothesis testing...that weeds out false claims. Claims that come about as a result of a scientific process are held as tentatively true by scientists..unlike claims of faith that are held as eternally true with zero evidence. Related to this, claims that come about as a result of a scientific process are falsifiable, that is, there is a way to show the claims are false. This is not the case with faith claims. For example, there's no way to falsify the claim that the Norse god Loki was able to assume other forms.

Scientists try to prove claims false (falsification), unlike faith leaders who unequivocally state their faith claims are true. If a scientist can demonstrate that a popular scientific claim is false, he or she can become famous, get tenure, publish books, earn more money and become respected by her or his peers. If a preacher states that the claims of his faith tradition are false, he's excommunicated, defrocked or otherwise forced to abandon his position”(Boghossian 2013)...the stifling of growth and enlightenment basically.

Science is a method for advancing our understanding. It is process we can use to bring us closer to the truth, and to weed out false claims. Science thus is the best way we've currently found to explain and understand how the universe works. This doesn’t set well with those who clutch supernatural, extraordinary, and unprovable theological faith claims, and that is a problem as it not only impacts their ability to understand and accept basic scientific principles, but it actually creates a barrier to moving on to better methods of epistemology. The reason creationism is not taught in public school is because it lacks any evidence. There is a good reason evolution is taught in public school, it is because it has evidence.

A second reason why many in the general public doubt the theory of evolution is due to lack of education and understanding of scientific methods. The problem comes with the word theory, those unfamiliar with scientific terms think that theory is something, “not quite right”, a speculation, a guess, and very likely wrong.

“According to the Oxford English dictionary, a scientific theory is “a statement of what are held to be the general laws, principles, or causes of something known or observed.” (Coyne 2009) in science, a theory is much more than just a speculation about how things are: it is a well thought out group of propositions meant to explain facts about the real world.”

I believe it is due to lack of understanding of the plethora of empirical and scientific evidence proving evolution that prevents some from accepting it.

Works Cited

Boghossian, P. (2013) A manual for creating atheists. Durham: Pitchstone Publishing

Coyne, J. (2009) Why evolution is true. London: Penguin Books Ltd.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Scientific theory:
A scientific theory is a series of statements about the causal elements for observed phenomena. A critical component of a scientific theory is that it provides explanations and predictions that can be tested.

Biblical theory:
[Image: 4add830975b0c61405944686ad7f2200.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-09-2014, 05:23 PM
I blame the lack of enforcement on education. Many of our teachers let kids sleep in class and not do anything.
I know, because I did sleep in class a lot. Mostly because I was up late watching toonami when Anime was the thing and toonami was this infallible god of t.v programming.

We let too many kids escape Biology and no one from my experience ever learned exclusively about evolution or how it really works. Those are classes for the really smart kids who electively take the class and hopefully, I am assuming the teacher might do one chapter on it where I am from.

The second problem is with the teacher. Teachers do not have to understand anything of the subject they are teaching. Besides math of course.

They just need to read from the teachers version of the text book and repeat the words inside. So, in theory. 90% of the teachers whom teach science could very well not have any idea what they are actually saying.
You do not need a science, math, writing degree to be a science, math or writing teacher. You just need a teaching degree which might have a little bit of those subjects as classes, but its mostly how to teach people and that's it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
15-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Good points Shadow Fox. I went to the highest ranking public schools in Oklahoma where education was taken very seriously but I still remember just barely grazing evolution. Fortunately I had some very inspiring math teachers along the way.
15-09-2014, 08:34 PM
SF,
It's "who" not "whom".

Were you asleep that day? Big Grin

15-09-2014, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2014 09:49 PM by Chas.)
(15-09-2014 02:14 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Because america is the fucking stupid kid of the countries.

That's a rather silly, shallow generalization.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2014, 08:53 PM
(15-09-2014 05:23 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I blame the lack of enforcement on education. Many of our teachers let kids sleep in class and not do anything.
I know, because I did sleep in class a lot. Mostly because I was up late watching toonami when Anime was the thing and toonami was this infallible god of t.v programming.

We let too many kids escape Biology and no one from my experience ever learned exclusively about evolution or how it really works. Those are classes for the really smart kids who electively take the class and hopefully, I am assuming the teacher might do one chapter on it where I am from.

The second problem is with the teacher. Teachers do not have to understand anything of the subject they are teaching. Besides math of course.

They just need to read from the teachers version of the text book and repeat the words inside. So, in theory. 90% of the teachers whom teach science could very well not have any idea what they are actually saying.
You do not need a science, math, writing degree to be a science, math or writing teacher. You just need a teaching degree which might have a little bit of those subjects as classes, but its mostly how to teach people and that's it.

See my post/rant on the second page.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Shouldn't the question be, why is the rest of the world so stupid they believe in evolution?

'MURICA!

[Image: fab6b1e5d24ee07bbdaf8333e2b7a3cf09bc22ba...b75bd5.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
16-09-2014, 12:48 AM
Because evolution contradicts the "literal and inerrant" dogma they have been mentally brainwashed to swallow hook, line, and sinker.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2305]

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2014, 03:55 AM
(15-09-2014 08:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 02:14 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Because america is the fucking stupid kid of the countries.

That's a rather silly, shallow generalization.

I don't know I mean the videos chart seems to show why.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube