Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
12-01-2015, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 06:58 PM by CleverUsername.)
Why do atheists become atheists?
Sooner or later, everyone is exposed to the idea that it is possible to not believe in a god, or at least act like you don't. Some people look into this new viewpoint and become atheists. Some people recoil like a cat hit by water and scream at the position until it goes away, remaining theists.

Sometimes, I wonder why that is. What is it that causes some people to accept that their faith is wrong, while others who see the exact same evidence, can't accept that?

Anyone else think about this? Got any ideas? All I can think of is basic open-mindedness.

Edit: I guess it's be better to say "What makes atheists go back to atheism" since it's the default before indoctrination. Or, "What makes atheists stay atheists if they weren't indoctrinated but exposed later".

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2015, 06:50 PM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
I didn't become one, I was born one.

As I got older, some adults told me about an invisible being who loved me so much he had his son sacrificed so he wouldn't have to punish me eternally. They were rather insistent that I believe this. My bullshit meter went off so hard, they heard it three towns away.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 9 users Like guitar_nut's post
12-01-2015, 06:51 PM
(12-01-2015 06:39 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Sooner or later, everyone is exposed to the idea that it is possible to not believe in a god, or at least act like you don't. Some people look into this new viewpoint and become atheists. Some people recoil like a cat hit by water and scream at the position until it goes away, remaining theists.

Sometimes, I wonder why that is. What is it that causes some people to accept that their faith is wrong, while others who see the exact same evidence, can't accept that?

Anyone else think about this? Got any ideas? All I can think of is basic open-mindedness.

I was never not an atheist, so I don't think your question is the right question to ask.

How is it that some people resist whatever it is that dupes others into theism?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Yeah, open mindedness would be a basic commonality for those that come out of faith, you're open minded enough to think that you could be wrong and need to be honest enough to actually examine your beliefs and evaluate the evidence of claims from a more objective viewpoint.
Perhaps those that never believed, it would be the obvious skepticism that arises when outlandish claims are asserted.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Because I was never indoctrinated as a child I've been an atheist since I was born. I reached late teens before I started learning properly about religion and because I was mature in my rational faculties I don't think it would have been (or is at all) possible for me to be anything other than an atheist. Even if I wanted to.

Edit: Just saw Chas' question. I would think that the answer to that would be somewhat Freudian.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
12-01-2015, 07:03 PM
de·lu·sion
dəˈlo͞oZHən/
noun
an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.
"the delusion of being watched"

I believe it has a lot to do so for many out there, the sudden disappearance of delusional thoughts and opening their mind to reality and new information.
For others, they simply have not been exposed to opposite ideas, so they are ignorant of anything else as they have been sheltered from contradicting ideals. Be it atheism or any other sect of their very own religion. There are millions who firmly believe their religion is the only one and while have heard the names of other positions, know nothing about it what so ever. Not even the tiniest mote of it as they inherited their parents, friends, mates religion or was sucked into one for one reason or another.

It really comes down to Exposure to outside ideas, and disillusion in their faith.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
12-01-2015, 07:10 PM
(12-01-2015 06:39 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Sooner or later, everyone is exposed to the idea that it is possible to not believe in a god, or at least act like you don't. Some people look into this new viewpoint and become atheists. Some people recoil like a cat hit by water and scream at the position until it goes away, remaining theists.

Edit: I guess it's be better to say "What makes atheists go back to atheism" since it's the default before indoctrination. Or, "What makes atheists stay atheists if they weren't indoctrinated but exposed later".

Atheists do not become atheists. They were atheists the day they were born, and some became theists, then rejected theism and went back to their natural atheistic state of being.

Big Grin

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
12-01-2015, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 07:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
I'm not an atheist. Any promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is utter and complete bullshit. You will not survive your death. Dualism is untenable. Many have tried. All have failed. Think I'm more of a pretheist. Any talk of some sorta unrealizable God is premature. ... Nah, I'm just fucking with you. Big Grin ... or am I? (dammit, I think dancefortwo started this and I can't help myself)

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-01-2015, 07:23 PM
In my experience of being in a church youth group, the people who stayed the most religious were the ones who were deeply invested in the community aspects of church. It's much harder to abandon something when it means abandoning your friends/family.

Luckily, I always felt like kind of an outsider in their group, and none of my actual friends went to church. That made it pretty easy for me to leave once it was no longer up to mom and dad to plan my Sunday routine for me.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
12-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Growing up Christianity was really important to my family but even as kid I just never got into it. There doesn't seem to be any reason I should be an atheist but I just never believed.
[+] 1 user Likes thecontemplator's post