Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
21-01-2015, 05:42 AM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
(13-01-2015 08:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 07:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Because it's just the cool thing for goth and emo kids to do. At one time is was just dying your hair, and wearing a black trench coat, and now it's to label yourself an atheist, and not wear deodarant. It's just a way from goth-emo kids to say they are unique, and special, and to rebel against their parents, while listening to Ethiopian death metal.

In fact there have been several scientific studies revealing just this, which can all be found here:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Atheism

Sure, you keep telling yourself that and using absurd sources to confirm your bias.

There were no scientific studies on that link.
I read that link, that must have been a very disturbed and angry person who took their time for that load of bull! They sound Christian, but they are fucking vulgar! I think it is better to be around Atheists!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AfroAtheist's post
21-01-2015, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2015 09:21 AM by Free.)
(21-01-2015 12:08 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-01-2015 07:41 PM)Free Wrote:  those who say "I don't know" do subscribe to the possibility that a supernatural god exists.
Nope, this is a very, very poor application of logic.

Saying "I don't know" isn't a proclamation that it is possible.

"I don't know" means, well to put it clearly and succinctly, it means "I don't know".

If I don't know if it is possible or not then I say "I don't know". I am making no claim as to whether something is possible.

(20-01-2015 07:41 PM)Free Wrote:  Persons such as yourself, Chas, and others say, "You cannot prove God doesn't exist," which instantly and logically demonstrates that since it is your belief that I cannot prove that God doesn't exist, then it is possible that God does exist.
Again, a very poor application of logic.

We are not saying that it is possible that god exists. We are saying that you cannot prove that god doesn't exist, maybe god does exist, maybe god doesn't. We don't even know if god's existence is possible or not.
We are not making any claim as to the possibility of god's existence.

Just remember this simple phrase.
"I don't know means I don't know"

Not true, at least not to the point of this discussion.

And just remember this phrase that describes the 6.0 position on the Dawkin's Scale:

6 - Defacto Atheist: "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable."

Very improbable = at the very least, some small degree of possibility.

What do you think "I cannot know for certain" implies? Don't think too hard about that.

Hint: If you can't know something for a certainty, it necessarily implies that you therefore don't know something for a certainty.

And that is a very VERY good application of "logic" which you seem to be having great difficulty understanding.

Quote:
(20-01-2015 07:41 PM)Free Wrote:  Very improbable = at the very least, some small degree of possibility.
Nope, that's yet again a very poor and incorrect application of logic.
The uncertainty has to do with having no evidence, no clear defintion. It has nothing to do with a belief that god's existence is possible.

If asked the question
"Is god's existence possible?"
The answer would be "I don't know"

And remember
"I don't know means I don't know"

Here it is again:

6 - Defacto Atheist: "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable."

Quote:
(20-01-2015 07:41 PM)Free Wrote:  Using a logically fallacious argument is no good excuse to remain at 6.0.
Having a poor grasp of logic is no good excuse to put yourself at 7.
Really you need to focus on finding some evidence, providing a falsifiable definition of god that everyone agrees with and showing how your evidence falsifies this definition.

Obviously after this demonstration in which you utterly failed to grasp the concept of this discussion, it isn't me who so miserably fails to understand even the mere basics of the application of logic.

Big Grin

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
21-01-2015, 10:42 AM
(21-01-2015 08:51 AM)Free Wrote:  6 - Defacto Atheist: "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable."

Nope, you are stretching it to reach a conclusion that you really, really want to reach.

As I have said multiple times there has been no evaluation of possibility. How can we evaluate the possibility of a god when the god definition has not been provided. There is no precedent for a supernatural entity. There is no way of measuring it. I can't evaluate if a god is likely or is unlikely. I don't know if it is possible or not.

If I don't know if it is possible or not for a god to exist and there is no evidence both for or against then my conclusion is that:
- I don't know if it is possible for a god to exist.
- I don't know if any gods exist

This puts me at a 6 on the Dawkins scale

Can I reach for 7?
Not honestly because there is no evidence to show that gods don't exist.
Am I content remaining at 6, yes.
Do I think 6 leaves the window open to acceptance of god's existence?
Sure, given some compelling evidence.
Do I fall for Pascal's wager?
No, I completely disbelieve the existence of gods, but am open to thinking about a more concise definition and open to examining evidence.
If god were proven to exist would I worship it?
Probably not. Worship isn't my thing, especially if it turned out to be a douche like the Abrahamic gods.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
21-01-2015, 10:47 AM
(21-01-2015 10:42 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 08:51 AM)Free Wrote:  6 - Defacto Atheist: "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable."

Nope, you are stretching it to reach a conclusion that you really, really want to reach.

As I have said multiple times there has been no evaluation of possibility. How can we evaluate the possibility of a god when the god definition has not been provided. There is no precedent for a supernatural entity. There is no way of measuring it. I can't evaluate if a god is likely or is unlikely. I don't know if it is possible or not.

If I don't know if it is possible or not for a god to exist and there is no evidence both for or against then my conclusion is that:
- I don't know if it is possible for a god to exist.
- I don't know if any gods exist

This puts me at a 6 on the Dawkins scale

Can I reach for 7?
Not honestly because there is no evidence to show that gods don't exist.
Am I content remaining at 6, yes.
Do I think 6 leaves the window open to acceptance of god's existence?
Sure, given some compelling evidence.
Do I fall for Pascal's wager?
No, I completely disbelieve the existence of gods, but am open to thinking about a more concise definition and open to examining evidence.
If god were proven to exist would I worship it?
Probably not. Worship isn't my thing, especially if it turned out to be a douche like the Abrahamic gods.

Obviously you still don't get the concept of this discussion. I can't help you any further.

We'll let the readers decide.

Big Grin

Moving on ...

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
21-01-2015, 11:00 AM
(13-01-2015 07:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 06:39 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Sometimes, I wonder why that is. What is it that causes some people to accept that their faith is wrong, while others who see the exact same evidence, can't accept that?

Because it's just the cool thing for goth and emo kids to do. At one time is was just dying your hair, and wearing a black trench coat, and now it's to label yourself an atheist, and not wear deodarant. It's just a way from goth-emo kids to say they are unique, and special, and to rebel against their parents, while listening to Ethiopian death metal.

In fact there have been several scientific studies revealing just this, which can all be found here:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Atheism

You funnyman. Going all Onion and shit. Big Grin Encyclopedia Dramatica.

#sigh
21-01-2015, 12:58 PM
(21-01-2015 10:47 AM)Free Wrote:  Obviously you still don't get the concept of this discussion. I can't help you any further.

Big Grin

Moving on ...
Pretty much all the readers have already decided.
They all know that I don't know means I don't know.

It is you who doesn't get it.

I am open to the idea that gods are possible but I don't hold a belief that they are possible. This is your strawman. Noone is falling for it.
21-01-2015, 01:34 PM
(21-01-2015 12:58 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 10:47 AM)Free Wrote:  Obviously you still don't get the concept of this discussion. I can't help you any further.

Big Grin

Moving on ...
Pretty much all the readers have already decided.
They all know that I don't know means I don't know.

Really?

*Crickets*

Quote:It is you who doesn't get it.

I am open to the idea that gods are possible but I don't hold a belief that they are possible. This is your strawman. Noone is falling for it.

If you do not know whether or not god exists then it is possible he does not exist, but equally possible that he does exist.

Why? Because you don't know either way.

How difficult is that to understand, dude?

21-01-2015, 01:38 PM
(21-01-2015 01:34 PM)Free Wrote:  If you do not know whether or not god exists then it is possible he does not exist, but equally possible that he does exist.

Why? Because you don't know either way.

How difficult is that to understand, dude?
Nope.

No evaluation of possibilities has been made.
Don't know if it is even possible for a god to exist.
Can't say that there is equal possibility for its existence as opposed to its non existence.

I just don't know what the possibilities would be.

Can you understand that?
21-01-2015, 01:44 PM
(21-01-2015 01:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Don't know if it is even possible for a god to exist.

This is hilarious.

Since you are lacking knowledge about the possibility of a god existing, then you simply don't know whether a god exists or not.

That means it is possible a god does exist, and possible that a god doesn't exist.

How far do I need to dumb this down?

Big Grin

21-01-2015, 02:01 PM
I just finished reading the last several pages of this thread, okey dokey we seem to have a semantic issue.

7 = I know there is no god

6 = improbable but possible ("I don't know" falls in this category). Anything less than a certainty, a 7, is a 6 or less.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post