Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-01-2015, 10:23 AM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
(22-01-2015 10:08 AM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking Free, is there any position on your selector switch between asleep and full auto or what? Tongue

No. I am a full blooded atheist and will defend that position to my death. Some people here don't like it, but I am what I am and I am damn proud to be fully atheistic.

Big Grin

Oh, goody. We have The One True Atheist™ here to show us all how it's done.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-01-2015, 10:23 AM
(22-01-2015 10:11 AM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:05 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Claiming that others are being intellectually dishonest because they are not arrogant enough to make faith based claims of knowledge, well it sounds like you're taking this a little personal.

I don't think anybody is attempting to place the burden of proof upon you to provide evidence for the "god claims" of others, but I don't think it's unfair that if you are going to make the claim that "no gods exist" as a fact, than at minimum, you should provide your definition of "god", so that others debating your claim have a starting point.

It is not a matter of arrogance, but rather a matter of what the truth is. I am not making any kind of "faith based claim" whatsoever. That is a misrepresentation of the truth and an out-and-out lie.

There is no God, because there is no evidence to support its existence, or even the possibility of its existence.

That's not arrogance. That is not faith based. That is a fact based upon the evidence of the absence of any positive proof of any such god being in existence in any way whatsoever.

There's nothing to believe, so no faith can be applied.

Have you been attending "AlephBet's School of Debate"? You keep repeating it, but it doesn't change the fact that you have failed to provide me your definition of "god" so I (or anyone else) can ask specific questions that you must have the answers to, to know for a fact that this, as of yet, undefined god exists.

So please, if you could, give us a simple definition of the "god" you know for a fact does not exist.
Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 10:24 AM
(22-01-2015 10:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:08 AM)Free Wrote:  No. I am a full blooded atheist and will defend that position to my death. Some people here don't like it, but I am what I am and I am damn proud to be fully atheistic.

Big Grin

Oh, goody. We have The One True Atheist™ here to show us all how it's done.

Prove you have evidence to support your silly little sub 7.0 position and we can talk.

If you can't do that, then it is intellectually dishonest of you to even try to defend your stupid position.

That makes you no fucking better than a theist.

Drinking Beverage

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
22-01-2015, 10:27 AM
(22-01-2015 10:23 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:11 AM)Free Wrote:  It is not a matter of arrogance, but rather a matter of what the truth is. I am not making any kind of "faith based claim" whatsoever. That is a misrepresentation of the truth and an out-and-out lie.

There is no God, because there is no evidence to support its existence, or even the possibility of its existence.

That's not arrogance. That is not faith based. That is a fact based upon the evidence of the absence of any positive proof of any such god being in existence in any way whatsoever.

There's nothing to believe, so no faith can be applied.

Have you been attending "AlephBet's School of Debate"? You keep repeating it, but it doesn't change the fact that you have failed to provide me your definition of "god" so I (or anyone else) can ask specific questions that you must have the answers to, to know for a fact that this, as of yet, undefined god exists.

So please, if you could, give us a simple definition of the "god" you know for a fact does not exist.

Read the fucking thread. It's been said enough times already.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
22-01-2015, 10:28 AM
(22-01-2015 10:19 AM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:17 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Being outlandish for a moment:

Taking from the plot of "Prometheus" and a lot of the Ancient Alien theories, say that we did discover that a highly evolved, sentient species was responsible for the origins of life on Earth. This all falls in the realm of naturally and theoretically possible (I think), so how would we classify this alien life? Are they "gods" to us?

We cannot make that comparison to the the supernatural entity that is the focus of this discussion.

We are speaking specifically of a supernatural entity commonly referred to as God by at least 3 of the major religions; Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

So you're only a 7.0 on the Dawkins Scale when considering the Abrahamic Gods? Do you have a refined definition of this God (since we've narrowed it down) provide by either yourself or the lovely followers of Judaism/Christianity/Islam? If I'm not mistaken, they are in a bit of disagreement themselves.
22-01-2015, 10:34 AM
(22-01-2015 10:28 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:19 AM)Free Wrote:  We cannot make that comparison to the the supernatural entity that is the focus of this discussion.

We are speaking specifically of a supernatural entity commonly referred to as God by at least 3 of the major religions; Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

So you're only a 7.0 on the Dawkins Scale when considering the Abrahamic Gods? Do you have a refined definition of this God (since we've narrowed it down) provide by either yourself or the lovely followers of Judaism/Christianity/Islam? If I'm not mistaken, they are in a bit of disagreement themselves.

Any god that supposedly displays any kind of supernatural ability cannot be demonstrated to exist.

Sure, there have even been men described as gods, such as Roman emperors, but we can dismiss any of those as possessing any kind of supernatural ability.

I am 7.0 against any claim of any kind of supernatural god, regardless of what religion makes the claim.

22-01-2015, 10:38 AM
Sorry if this has already been said, but 27 pages.
We are born atheists, it is our natural state, a person needs to be trained to believe in gods.
I was not trained as a child, so 'becoming atheist' was comparatively easy for me.
I say comparatively easy because I didn't have to undo years of brainwashing just to get back to my natural state.
From what I've heard of deconversion from others, it can be difficult to say the least, sometimes taking as long or longer than the initial indoctrination.
Make no mistake, atheists are born, not made.
Complacency makes a theist by accepting what they are told without question.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
22-01-2015, 10:40 AM
(22-01-2015 10:38 AM)pablo Wrote:  Sorry if this has already been said, but 27 pages.
We are born atheists, it is our natural state, a person needs to be trained to believe in gods.
I was not trained as a child, so 'becoming'atheist was comparatively easy for me.
I say comparatively easy because I didn't have to undo years of brainwashing just to get back to my natural state.
From what I've heard of deconversion from others, it can be difficult to say the least, sometimes taking as long or longer than the initial indoctrination.
Make no mistake, atheists are born, not made.
Complacency makes a theist. Accepting what you are told without question.

My sentiments exactly.

We are, in fact, born that way. Hence why my sig says:

Atheism is NOT a position held; it is a state of being.

[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
22-01-2015, 10:46 AM
(22-01-2015 10:27 AM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:23 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Have you been attending "AlephBet's School of Debate"? You keep repeating it, but it doesn't change the fact that you have failed to provide me your definition of "god" so I (or anyone else) can ask specific questions that you must have the answers to, to know for a fact that this, as of yet, undefined god exists.

Read the fucking thread. It's been said enough times already.

You seem to be getting angry...I'm not sure why. And I've read this entire thread (some time of my life I'll never get back) and you appear to be the only one making positive claims with only evidence

Yes. Yes. Yes. I read all the "absence of evidence" stuff. And it is indeed evidence of absence...but not definitive proof. But I'm pretty sure Chas already said that.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
22-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Free, I'm relatively new at all this so I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I'm some master debater or grand philosopher...and I swear I'm not trying to come off as a smart ass or like I'm trying to get under your skin for the hell of it. I just honestly BELIEVE that you don't know for a fact that their is no god/higher power/deity/etc. And belief is as certain as I can be on that. For all I know you're an inter-dimensional time traveling gnome that has been to the Underverse. The evidence suggests you are not, but I can't prove it for a fact, therefore I can't say "I know".