Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-01-2015, 12:00 PM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
(22-01-2015 11:53 AM)Free Wrote:  The knowledge I have is that God does not exist. The reason I have this knowledge is that there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Big Grin

Why and how can anyone completely dismiss the "black swan" scenario?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Addition to my previous post:

I have never seen a black swan
There must not be any black swans
Therefore black swans do not exist

Oops, would you look at that, a black swan

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
22-01-2015, 12:05 PM
(22-01-2015 11:58 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 11:47 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  But a theist is making a positive claim of absolute knowledge, correct? That's why we atheists say, "We don't believe you. Prove it."

The claim of absolute knowledge exists also if you say that certainly no gods exist. But I don't think anyone of us holds absolute knowledge, right?

I'm not sure how I feel about the term "absolute knowledge". That's why atheism, IMO, is merely a rejection of that claim without evidence.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
22-01-2015, 12:07 PM
(22-01-2015 09:41 AM)Free Wrote:  Since there is not a single shred of evidence anywhere to demonstrate even the possibility of any kind of supernatural entity existing, then it is in fact intellectually honest to claim as fact that there is no God.

It is intellectually dishonest to claim or insinuate that any kind of supernatural god is possible when there is not a single shred of evidence to support that assertion.

There was a time when we knew nothing about the existence of DNA. So, if someone back then had introduced the concept in some rudimentary form as a possibility, you would have said they were intellectually dishonest because there was not one shred of evidence at that time for the existence of DNA. Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
22-01-2015, 12:09 PM
(22-01-2015 11:58 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 11:47 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  But a theist is making a positive claim of absolute knowledge, correct? That's why we atheists say, "We don't believe you. Prove it."

The claim of absolute knowledge exists also if you say that certainly no gods exist. But I don't think anyone of us holds absolute knowledge, right?

It is not unreasonable to say "God does not exist" when there is no evidence to support existence of any kind. It is no more dishonest to say "God does not exist" than it is to say "1000 pink elephants are living in your anus."

It is absolutely just as intellectually dishonest to say "You cannot prove God doesn't exist" as it is to say, "You cannot prove that 1000 pink elephants are living in your anus."

Both accusations shift the burden of proof, are fallacious, and therefore are intellectually dishonest.

The burden of proof is always upon the one claiming existence, and never on anyone else.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
22-01-2015, 12:09 PM
(22-01-2015 12:05 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 11:58 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  The claim of absolute knowledge exists also if you say that certainly no gods exist. But I don't think anyone of us holds absolute knowledge, right?

I'm not sure how I feel about the term "absolute knowledge". That's why atheism, IMO, is merely a rejection of that claim without evidence.

Ok, but I don't think any human can claim to have a complete and absolute knowledge of a topic or subject. Any subject.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
22-01-2015, 12:10 PM
(22-01-2015 12:07 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 09:41 AM)Free Wrote:  Since there is not a single shred of evidence anywhere to demonstrate even the possibility of any kind of supernatural entity existing, then it is in fact intellectually honest to claim as fact that there is no God.

It is intellectually dishonest to claim or insinuate that any kind of supernatural god is possible when there is not a single shred of evidence to support that assertion.

There was a time when we knew nothing about the existence of DNA. So, if someone back then had introduced the concept in some rudimentary form as a possibility, you would have said they were intellectually dishonest because there was not one shred of evidence at that time for the existence of DNA. Drinking Beverage

This is a false comparison. You are comparing something that exists in nature with something that does not; supernatural.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
22-01-2015, 12:11 PM
It strikes me how ironic it is that most of us here, except for Free, are arguing for the improbable possibility of a creator being. Blink

22-01-2015, 12:13 PM
(22-01-2015 12:10 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 12:07 PM)Impulse Wrote:  There was a time when we knew nothing about the existence of DNA. So, if someone back then had introduced the concept in some rudimentary form as a possibility, you would have said they were intellectually dishonest because there was not one shred of evidence at that time for the existence of DNA. Drinking Beverage

This is a false comparison. You are comparing something that exists in nature with something that does not; supernatural.

"...something that does not"

Consider and you know this for certain because why?

BTW no one knew that black swans existed in nature until one was found.

22-01-2015, 12:17 PM
(22-01-2015 12:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  It strikes me how ironic it is that most of us here, except for Free, are arguing for the improbable possibility of a creator being. Blink

It's because we are not True Atheists™. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post