Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-01-2015, 01:15 PM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
(22-01-2015 12:57 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 12:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. One is a testable claim, the other is (currently) not. Your comparison fails.

Prove the other is testable, or has the possibility of being testable.

Now you are stuck with the burden of proof again, and will undoubtedly use fallacious logic again to defend it.

We can test the claim that there are any swans up your ass because we know what would constitute evidence.
We can't test the claim that there are no gods because we don't know what would constitute evidence of the existence of any god.

We can certainly logically disprove an omniĀ³ god, but there are infinitely many other definitions of gods.

Quote:
Quote:The statement "There does not exist a proof that there are no gods" is not equivalent to "There is a possibility of gods". You are making a logical error by equating them.

I never said that. Where are you getting this from?

Drinking Beverage

It is pretty much your argument. I am not a 7.0 because there does not exist a proof that there are no gods. You claim that I therefore believe there is a possibility of gods.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Full Circle,

I was going to say the same thing about opposite ends of the spectrum.

Both blinded by their own certainty.
Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 01:26 PM
(22-01-2015 12:55 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 12:47 PM)Free Wrote:  Yes, but everything we have discovered is something that exists in nature. When speaking of this God, we are not speaking of something that supposedly exists in nature, for it is supernatural.

So making a comparison between what exists in nature and what does not exist in nature is fallacious.

No it is dishonest to be sub 7.0, because you cannot provide any evidence whatsoever to support being in that position.

It is, in every way, as dishonest as theism.

You don't find merit that the majority of all atheists on this board disagree with you?

What atheists are you talking about? Those who claim to be, or all those who are pretending to be?

Quote: That you're idea of atheism is right and all others are wrong?

Yes, it is right; it is reasonable, logical, and intellectually honest.

Quote:Sounds a little "religious" if you ask me.

No. "Religious" is anybody sub 7.0, because they cannot let go of even the smallest shred of hope, which they mistake for a "possibility."

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
22-01-2015, 01:32 PM
(22-01-2015 01:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 12:57 PM)Free Wrote:  Prove the other is testable, or has the possibility of being testable.

Now you are stuck with the burden of proof again, and will undoubtedly use fallacious logic again to defend it.

We can test the claim that there are any swans up your ass because we know what would constitute evidence.
We can't test the claim that there are no gods because we don't know what would constitute evidence of the existence of any god.

We can certainly logically disprove an omniĀ³ god, but there are infinitely many other definitions of gods.

Well now you are trying to move the goal posts by ignoring the fact that I repeatedly defined God here as supernatural.

Not happening.

Quote:
Quote:I never said that. Where are you getting this from?

Drinking Beverage

It is pretty much your argument. I am not a 7.0 because there does not exist a proof that there are no gods. You claim that I therefore believe there is a possibility of gods.

If you cannot say, "There are no Gods," then you harbor beliefs that a supernatural god could possibly exist.

Let me test that by asking you one simple question:

Can you supply reasoning and evidence to support why are you not 7.0?

Now give me an honest answer, with no logical fallacies.

Big Grin

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
22-01-2015, 01:34 PM
(22-01-2015 01:26 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 12:55 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  You don't find merit that the majority of all atheists on this board disagree with you?

What atheists are you talking about? Those who claim to be, or all those who are pretending to be?

No. "Religious" is anybody sub 7.0, because they cannot let go of even the smallest shred of hope, which they mistake for a "possibility."

Drinking Beverage

I can haz irony.

Claim to be? Pretend to be? Hope?

I don't claim to be atheist. I am.

I don't pretend to be atheist. Prove I'm not.

Hope. Hope for what? That's a can of whoop ass you want to leave in the pantry.

You don't disbelieve God...you apparently think you are God.
22-01-2015, 01:35 PM
(12-01-2015 06:58 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Because I was never indoctrinated as a child I've been an atheist since I was born. I reached late teens before I started learning properly about religion and because I was mature in my rational faculties I don't think it would have been (or is at all) possible for me to be anything other than an atheist. Even if I wanted to.

Edit: Just saw Chas' question. I would think that the answer to that would be somewhat Freudian.

Indoctrination during childhood is a very big issue. Due to environment most people are not born atheist.
I was indoctrinated, but
a) during the period of 2 or 3 years (16 to 19years old) I really tried to believe in god - but found no connection (I don't know, why) and
b) later on I saw what happened in the name of god during history an today and became an enemy of especially monotheistic religions (those religions, which say they and only they know `the truth`).
22-01-2015, 01:43 PM
(22-01-2015 01:26 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 12:55 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  You don't find merit that the majority of all atheists on this board disagree with you?

Drinking Beverage

[Image: FullHeywood.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-01-2015, 01:45 PM
(22-01-2015 01:32 PM)Free Wrote:  If you cannot say, "There are no Gods," then you harbor beliefs that a supernatural god could possibly exist.

Nope, falllacious.

Quote:Let me test that by asking you one simple question:

Big Grin

I am not a 7.0 because I do not have the knowledge or proof that there are no gods.

And neither do you.

22-01-2015, 01:47 PM
(22-01-2015 01:34 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 01:26 PM)Free Wrote:  What atheists are you talking about? Those who claim to be, or all those who are pretending to be?

Drinking Beverage

I can haz irony.

Claim to be? Pretend to be? Hope?

I don't claim to be atheist. I am.

I don't pretend to be atheist. Prove I'm not.

Hope. Hope for what? That's a can of whoop ass you want to leave in the pantry.

You don't disbelieve God...you apparently think you are God.

No, you are at best a defacto atheist. That's like living common law with someone instead of making a commitment.

You are not committed.

Me God? LOL

I am an atheist, fully committed.

22-01-2015, 01:52 PM
(22-01-2015 01:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 01:32 PM)Free Wrote:  If you cannot say, "There are no Gods," then you harbor beliefs that a supernatural god could possibly exist.

Nope, falllacious.

Quote:Let me test that by asking you one simple question:

Big Grin

I am not a 7.0 because I do not have the knowledge or proof that there are no gods.

So you are not 7.0 because a logical fallacy cannot be proven to you? Your excuse for not being 7.0 is because, "You cannot prove God doesn't exist."

Quote:You can't prove God doesn't exist:

It is not uncommon for apologists to make statements like, "You can't prove God doesn't exist," when they are challenged to support their own claim that God exists. Such statements are intended to shift the burden of proof, and therefore represent a logical fallacy.

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?t...%27t_exist

Proving Non Existence

So now we know.