Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-01-2015, 02:45 PM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
(22-01-2015 01:58 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  B. If one argues that God or telepathy, ghosts, or UFO's do not exist because their existence has not been proven beyond a shadow of doubt, then this fallacy occurs.

You do understand what it means when it says "has not been proven beyond a shadow of doubt" right?

It implies there is some degree of proof, but has not been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

There is no proof of the existence of God AT ALL.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 02:54 PM
(22-01-2015 02:45 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 01:58 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  B. If one argues that God or telepathy, ghosts, or UFO's do not exist because their existence has not been proven beyond a shadow of doubt, then this fallacy occurs.

You do understand what it means when it says "has not been proven beyond a shadow of doubt" right?

It implies there is some degree of proof, but has not been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I know what it means, do you know what it means? That quote is talking about you.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
22-01-2015, 03:11 PM
(22-01-2015 02:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 01:52 PM)Free Wrote:  Proving Non Existence

So now we know.

Yes, we do:
Quote:Although it may be possible to prove non-existence in special situations, such as showing that a container does not contain certain items, one cannot prove universal or absolute non-existence.

Do you not comprehend that statement?

It has not gone unnoticed that you failed to provide the citation.

On top of that, if you really believe that someone cannot prove that something does not exist, then why do you hold onto a position that is unproven?

If you are holding on to a sub 7.0 based upon speculation that something supernatural might exist, but is impossible to prove it's non existence, then you have absolutely no knowledge to justify holding on to that position.

You are holding on to the position based upon unsupported speculation, and not based upon anything that can be proven whatsoever. You are basically saying, "I am 6.9 because I cannot prove that something I speculate about doesn't exist."

That is not a good enough reason. It has no evidence to warrant the position.

Quote:Being a 7.0 requires a proof for non-existence.

No it does not. Being anything sub 7.0 carries the burden of proof, and so far you have provided none.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
22-01-2015, 03:14 PM
(22-01-2015 02:54 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 02:45 PM)Free Wrote:  You do understand what it means when it says "has not been proven beyond a shadow of doubt" right?

I know what it means, do you know what it means? That quote is talking about you.

If you knew what it means you wouldn't be disagreeing with me. It isn't talking about me, because I am not speaking of the existence of God being proven beyond a shadow of doubt.

I am saying, "God does not exist," and there's no doubt about it.

22-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Quote:Yes, it is right; it is reasonable, logical, and intellectually honest.

No, no and no. Holding absolute positions of knowledge is exactly the opposite of those three attributes.

You act as if holding absolute knowledge is somehow impossible. Do you think 1 + 1 would equal 3 anywhere else in the universe? Do you think if we started counting numbers 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... that somewhere else in the universe somebody would count the last possible number?

Yes, we can have absolute knowledge about many things, and since there is no evidence to support the existence of any supernatural entity whatsoever, the current state of our knowledge in regards to it is, in fact, absolute.

Since we know for a certainty that counting numbers would never result in the last number being counted, then we can also know that God does not exist due to the evidence of absence.

The non existence of God has not only been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, but beyond any doubt whatsoever.

22-01-2015, 03:31 PM
(22-01-2015 03:11 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 02:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, we do:

Do you not comprehend that statement?

It has not gone unnoticed that you failed to provide the citation.

See above. It was from your cited document. Dodgy

Quote:On top of that, if you really believe that someone cannot prove that something does not exist, then why do you hold onto a position that is unproven?

What? The non-existence of any god cannot be proven. That is the position I hold.

Quote:If you are holding on to a sub 7.0 based upon speculation that something supernatural might exist, but is impossible to prove it's non existence, then you have absolutely no knowledge to justify holding on to that position.

What? The non-existence of any god cannot be proven. 7.0 requires there be a proof.

Quote:You are holding on to the position based upon unsupported speculation, and not based upon anything that can be proven whatsoever. You are basically saying, "I am 6.9 because I cannot prove that something I speculate about doesn't exist."

No. I am holding the honest position that we do not have the absolute certainty because there is no proof. If you have a proof, present it.

Quote:That is not a good enough reason. It has no evidence to warrant the position.

Quote:Being a 7.0 requires a proof for non-existence.

No it does not. Being anything sub 7.0 carries the burden of proof, and so far you have provided none.

You have inverted the logic and are wrong. Everyone here sees that but you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 03:33 PM
(22-01-2015 03:24 PM)Free Wrote:  
Quote:No, no and no. Holding absolute positions of knowledge is exactly the opposite of those three attributes.

You act as if holding absolute knowledge is somehow impossible. Do you think 1 + 1 would equal 3 anywhere else in the universe? Do you think if we started counting numbers 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... that somewhere else in the universe somebody would count the last possible number?

Yes, we can have absolute knowledge about many things, and since there is no evidence to support the existence of any supernatural entity whatsoever, the current state of our knowledge in regards to it is, in fact, absolute.

Since we know for a certainty that counting numbers would never result in the last number being counted, then we can also know that God does not exist due to the evidence of absence.

The non existence of God has not only been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, but beyond any doubt whatsoever.

You continue to confuse your certain belief with certain knowledge. Positions 1.0 and 7.0 are knowledge positions.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-01-2015, 03:37 PM
(22-01-2015 03:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 03:11 PM)Free Wrote:  It has not gone unnoticed that you failed to provide the citation.

See above. It was from your cited document. Dodgy

Doesn't matter. Citation required.

Quote:
Quote:On top of that, if you really believe that someone cannot prove that something does not exist, then why do you hold onto a position that is unproven?

What? The non-existence of any god cannot be proven. That is the position I hold.
So you are holding on to a position that has no evidence to support the position because "You cannot prove God doesn't exist?"

You are holding on to a position based upon a clear burden of proof logical fallacy?

Do you think that is a good enough reason to hold on to your position?

An unfalsifiable position is what you are subscribing to, and you find that justified?

22-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Frusty
22-01-2015, 03:43 PM
(22-01-2015 03:37 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 03:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  See above. It was from your cited document. Dodgy

Doesn't matter. Citation required.

The citation is right there in the post.

Quote:
Quote:What? The non-existence of any god cannot be proven. That is the position I hold.
So you are holding on to a position that has no evidence to support the position because "You cannot prove God doesn't exist?"

No.

Quote:You are holding on to a position based upon a clear burden of proof logical fallacy?

No.

Quote:Do you think that is a good enough reason to hold on to your position?

That is not the position.

Quote:An unfalsifiable position is what you are subscribing to, and you find that justified?

No. I am denying a knowledge claim.