Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-01-2015, 03:44 PM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
I will now ask the same question to everyone here who is engaged in this discussion.

Can you supply reasoning and evidence to support why are you not 7.0?

Now give me an honest answer, with no logical fallacies.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 03:45 PM
(22-01-2015 03:44 PM)Free Wrote:  I will now ask the same question to everyone here who is engaged in this discussion.

Already did. Do you not understand that 7.0 is a knowledge claim?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-01-2015, 03:59 PM
(22-01-2015 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 03:44 PM)Free Wrote:  I will now ask the same question to everyone here who is engaged in this discussion.

Already did. Do you not understand that 7.0 is a knowledge claim?

7.0 represents many things, and knowledge is one of them. Yes, we can know that God does not exist due to the lack of evidence to support any sign of existence.

Could this knowledge be wrong? Is it falsifiable? Yes. But until proven wrong, and proven false, it is the current truth.

There is no God.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
22-01-2015, 04:00 PM
(22-01-2015 03:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Quote:An unfalsifiable position is what you are subscribing to, and you find that justified?

No. I am denying a knowledge claim.

And why are you denying it?

Because "You cannot prove that God doesn't exist."

And that is an unfalsifiable claim.

Big Grin

22-01-2015, 04:02 PM
(22-01-2015 03:59 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Already did. Do you not understand that 7.0 is a knowledge claim?

7.0 represents many things, and knowledge is one of them. Yes, we can know that God does not exist due to the lack of evidence to support any sign of existence.

Could this knowledge be wrong? Is it falsifiable? Yes. But until proven wrong, and proven false, it is the current truth.

There is no God.

That is not knowledge, that is an opinion, a belief, a conclusion, a stance. But is not knowledge.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-01-2015, 04:04 PM

I reject all God claims known throughout human history. I have not and will not live throughout the entire existence of humanity so I can not make a positive claim to knowledge we might attain in the future.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
22-01-2015, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2015 04:22 PM by Free.)
(22-01-2015 04:04 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  

I reject all God claims known throughout human history. I have not and will not live throughout the entire existence of humanity so I can not make a positive claim to knowledge we might attain in the future.

And that shows a tiny degree of theism in respect this conversation. Yes, it may be minuscule, but it exists nonetheless. You are holding out on the idea that the knowledge proving the existence of God is a possibility, or the knowledge will show non existence.

This means you are agnostic.

And you want to know something? I find it more honest of you to be that way and open about it then those who would say they are atheists when in fact they are agnostics.

I am an atheist. I am what I am. I have no doubts that God does not exist because there is no reason to hold on to any possibility due to the fact that there is simply no evidence at all.

The "knowledge claim" is based upon what we know in regards to the non existence of God. The knowledge claim is based upon the evidence that there is an absence of evidence, and the fact that any claims made regarding the existence or possible existence of a supernatural god have not met the burden of proof.

This is legitimate knowledge. It is real knowledge. It is not fallacious.

22-01-2015, 04:27 PM
(22-01-2015 03:59 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Already did. Do you not understand that 7.0 is a knowledge claim?

There is no God.

7 represents only one thing, an absolute knowledge claim.

We can say, “the lack of evidence to support any sign of existence” of God leads me to believe that “God does not exist”.

"Could this knowledge be wrong? Is it falsifiable? Yes. But until proven wrong, and proven false, it is the current truth.” - and there you go! If you hold the 7 position then there is absolutely no way you can say the aformentioned statement, you have just undermined the 7 you claim to be!

Checkmate atheist. Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
22-01-2015, 04:27 PM
(22-01-2015 04:17 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 04:04 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I reject all God claims known throughout human history. I have not and will not live throughout the entire existence of humanity so I can not make a positive claim to knowledge we might attain in the future.

And that shows a tiny degree of theism in respect this conversation. Yes, it may be minuscule, but it exists nonetheless. You are holding out on the idea that the knowledge proving the existence of God is a possibility, or the knowledge will show non existence.

This means you are agnostic.

And you want to know something? I find it more honest of you to be that way and open about it then those who would say they are atheists when in fact they are agnostics.

I am an atheist. I am what I am. I have no doubts that God does not exist because there is no reason to hold on to any possibility due to the fact that there is simply no evidence at all.

The "knowledge claim" is based upon what we know in regards to the non existence of God. The knowledge claim is based upon the evidence that there is an absence of evidence. This is legitimate knowledge. It is real knowledge. It is not fallacious.

I'm rightfully choosing not to admit to knowledge that may never be attained, and very likely won't be attained in my short life span.

You state it as if I'm holding out hope that somebody will prove God does exist, rather than he does not.

If someone were to prove with evidence that God did not exist, I'd be the first person to start bitch slapping theists on principle and celebration.

But you are right about me being agnostic...agnostic atheist. You do not hold a special claim to the term atheist, just like Christians don't get to decide for others who claim they are Christian. Though they do try...and we mock them for it.

My explanations are as simple and straightforward as you'll likely find. I'm not a dullard but there are plenty of posters here who are clearly smarter than myself. So if you can't grasp the concept through my pre-drug trial Charlie Gordon eyes, I don't think anybody here can get through to you.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
22-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Because they're atheists?