Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-01-2015, 07:27 PM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
(22-01-2015 06:57 PM)Free Wrote:  From what I can ascertain you and others here are saying that it is possible that there is something you do not know in regards to the existence or non existence of a supernatural god
It's not just possible that there is something we don't know.
It is a fact that there is something we don't know.
Actually we know very little with regards to the consideration of the possibility of the existence of gods.
There is not enough information for us to even consider possibilities (be it for or against).
Lack of information, lack of knowledge = "I don't know"
(22-01-2015 06:57 PM)Free Wrote:  and that is the reason why you are at a sub 7.0 level.
Because we cannot calculate possibilities, then we don't know what is possible or not.
Because there is no evidence for or against the existence of gods then we cannot say with certainty that gods don't exist.
The first step, for us to move forward from our current position, would be for us to be presented with a testable and falsifiable definition of what a god is. Until this has been provided by those that insist that there is a god (because, of course, the burden of proof is on them) we cannot move forward, we cannot calculate what is possible or not, we cannot go in search of the gods.
The possibility of gods isn't even worth us considering until this basic level of requirements is met by those that propose that gods do exist.
In my mind, to say "no they don't exist" gives the idea of god too much credit. It implies that the idea of god has been sufficiently presented such that a conclusion can be made.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 07:28 PM
(22-01-2015 07:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 07:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This thread.

That's it.. I don't care if you all think I'm a coward, I can't take this thread anymore!

There is no exit. Drinking Beverage

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-01-2015, 07:43 PM
(22-01-2015 07:27 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 06:57 PM)Free Wrote:  From what I can ascertain you and others here are saying that it is possible that there is something you do not know in regards to the existence or non existence of a supernatural god
It's not just possible that there is something we don't know. It is a fact that there is something we don't know.

Since my question was in respect to the existence or non existence of a supernatural god, and your response was that "it is a fact that there is something we do not know" regarding the existence or non existence of this supposed supernatural god, then here is another question:

Since you have made a positive claim that there is knowledge in existence that we are currently unaware of, then what evidence can you bring to the table to support this positive claim?

Answer to this and we will continue.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
22-01-2015, 07:47 PM
(22-01-2015 07:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 07:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That's it.. I don't care if you all think I'm a coward, I can't take this thread anymore!

There is no exit. Drinking Beverage

True, this place is the greatest whorehouse in history, equipped with a heavily oiled revolving door.

Nobody gets out of here alive.

Shocking

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
22-01-2015, 08:20 PM
(22-01-2015 07:47 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 07:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is no exit. Drinking Beverage

True, this place is the greatest whorehouse in history, equipped with a heavily oiled revolving door.

Nobody gets out of here alive.

Shocking

You fuckety fucker. I hope you die of rabies bitch licker.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-01-2015, 09:25 PM
(22-01-2015 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  Since my question was in respect to the existence or non existence of a supernatural god, and your response was that "it is a fact that there is something we do not know" regarding the existence or non existence of this supposed supernatural god, then here is another question:

Since you have made a positive claim that there is knowledge in existence that we are currently unaware of, then what evidence can you bring to the table to support this positive claim?

Answer to this and we will continue.
It seems we are jumping down a very strange and weird rabbit hole here.
You want me to prove that there is knowledge that I don't know. Really?!
I don't know how old the god is.
I don't how tall the god is.
I don't know what the god is made of.
I don't know where the god is located.
I don't know what the god is thinking.
I don't know how the god thinks.
I don't know if the god exists.
I don't know how what is required for the god to exist.
I don't know how the god interacts with natural existence.
I don't know if the god eats food.
I don't know if the god requires warmth.
This is not to say that there is existing knowledge of the god but that I am simply unaware of the existent knowledge. This phrase "Since you have made a positive claim that there is knowledge in existence" is something new that you have injected into your recent post.
It is not a claim that I have made. It is yet another strawman that you have constructed.
22-01-2015, 09:49 PM
My parents never went to church beyond weddings when I was growing up, so I was more of a deist early on. The idea of organized religion seemed kind of silly to me even as a child. My parents got a divorce when I was younger; my mother had custody of my older sister and I, but we would often spend the summers with our father. It was during these visits that I briefly attended Sunday school as a preteen and was even baptized. This was because my father was dating a very religious woman at the time. I only took part in this because I thought it was expected of me. It had no personal meaning to me whatsoever. I stopped going to Sunday school after the relationship ended.

My mom said the "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" prayer with me at night from when I was little until I was in my early teens. She eventually stopped because I guess she thought I was old enough to do it on my own. I saw no real reason to continue because, as a deist, I didn't consider God to be a personal deity that could be directly communicated with. This complete lack of religious exposure caused what little faith I had to wane and eventually die by the time I reached high school.

I'll admit that my atheism in high school was more of a "gut feeling" than an informed decision. It wasn't until years later that various college courses on biology and self-study in the subjects of science, religion mythology, history and art made me what I would call a "well-rounded" atheist. This made my atheism the product of a rational decision.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 10:16 PM
(22-01-2015 06:57 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 06:48 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Saying "I don't know" doesn't eliminate the possibility.
But it isn't claiming that it is possible either.

If someone asks me if it is possible for a bird to be 10 meters tall, my answer would be "I don't know". I would answer that way because I don't know enough about birds and biology to know what are the limits with regards to the possible hight of birds.
Me saying "I don't know" does not mean that I believe that it is possible for birds to be 10 meters tall. It means that I lack the knowledge required to answer the question. I am ignorant with regards to what limits (if any) there are on the possible height of birds.
It might actually be possible, or it might actually be impossible. It can't be both (see Law of Contradiction). It can't be 10% possible and 90% impossible.
I don't know what the answer is, I am unwilling to jump into a belief so I stay on the "I don't know" position. If I were interested in discovering the answer I might refer to some experts in the field of ornithology and biology. If they have an answer, no doubt it would be based on some evidence, perhaps something to do with metabolism, body mass density, bone thickness etc.

Here's my problem with this.

From what I can ascertain you and others here are saying that it is possible that there is something you do not know in regards to the existence or non existence of a supernatural god, and that is the reason why you are at a sub 7.0 level.

Nope, that is not what I am saying. I am saying there is no proof that there aren't any gods and claiming 7.0 requires that proof.

The rest is just shit you are making up.

Quote:Answer to this, and I then will expand further following your answer.

There is nothing to expand.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-01-2015, 10:40 PM
(22-01-2015 04:30 PM)Free Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 04:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  7 represents only one thing, an absolute knowledge claim.

We can say, “the lack of evidence to support any sign of existence” of God leads me to believe that “God does not exist”.

"Could this knowledge be wrong? Is it falsifiable? Yes. But until proven wrong, and proven false, it is the current truth.” - and there you go! If you hold the 7 position then there is absolutely no way you can say the aformentioned statement, you have just undermined the 7 you claim to be!

Checkmate atheist. Smile

No, I have put it out there as possibly being wrong because it is falsifiable. The only way it can be proven false, however, is to conclusively demonstrate the existence of God.

Good luck with that.

Big Grin

You are a self proclaimed 7. To say this implies that you are 100% sure there are no gods therefore to you this cannot be falsifiable. The minute you allow for any possibility of falsification as you have stated above regarding your knowledge claim you lose your 7 rating.

Your stance should be "there is no possibility of supernatural beings and you cannot prove otherwise".

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Why do atheists become atheists?

They don't really.

They simply reset to an earlier state.

After all ----

ALL children are born atheists. It's highly unlikely for a child to come to accept any religion that isn't in close proximity to the place they are raised.

Religion, like most forms of child abuse is a learned behavior.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.