Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
25-01-2015, 01:06 PM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
(25-01-2015 12:31 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  What I meant towards Stevil is that I've seen him make a case for God before....

Reference please.

I am an ignostic agnostic atheist. I am completely without belief in gods.
Never been to church, never prayed, constantly arguing against such things.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2015, 01:13 PM
(25-01-2015 01:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 12:31 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  What I meant towards Stevil is that I've seen him make a case for God before....

Reference please.

I am an ignostic agnostic atheist. I am completely without belief in gods.
Never been to church, never prayed, constantly arguing against such things.

wow Stevil, my apologies. I must have you confused with someone else here. Really I've had this thought associated with your name for a long time. So my mistake goes way back.
I'd rather not dig through old threads.
and I must have misread your meaning in this one too.

damn thats bad...

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
25-01-2015, 01:25 PM
(25-01-2015 01:02 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 09:16 AM)Free Wrote:  Agnostic:

"A person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, such as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience."

Hence, a true agnostic is one who determines that there is knowledge in existence...
How the hell did you come to that conclusion?

Your application of logic and comprehension is appalling.

So you use the logical fallacy of cherry picking on just part of my post to you and address just that part while ignoring the entirety of the post?

Tell me, idiot, what part of the following do you disagree with:

The definition of an agnostic is this:

Agnostic:

"A person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, such as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience."

Hence, a true agnostic is one who determines that there is knowledge in existence, but it is currently unknown, or it cannot ever be known. Since the agnostic position most certainly asserts the possibility that there is knowledge that is currently unknown, or unknowable, then that position has the burden of proof of providing the evidence that there is, as asserted, some kind of yet undiscovered knowledge that is currently unknown, or unknowable.

EDIT: Now before you read Chas' fucked up objections below this thread, I have edited this to demonstrate what the word "unknown" means:

Unknown:

noun

"A thing, influence, area, factor, or person that is unknown:"

In each example of what "unknown" is defined as above, it denotes an existence. A thing, influence, area, factor, or person are all existences within reality. Hence, unknown knowledge is a thing in existence, but is not yet known. It does not mean it does not exist, but rather it is an existence.

Dispute that, idiot.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
25-01-2015, 01:30 PM
(25-01-2015 12:31 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 09:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  I am simply denying your unfounded assertions. So, there's that. Drinking Beverage

You consistently twist definitions to suit your presuppositional stances.

Oh, and where did WitchSabrina say that? Consider

What I meant towards Stevil is that I've seen him make a case for God before....

Your post was not in any reference to anything Stevil said, but rather in reference to what I said to Chas. Here is that post:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid726110

Quote:Free I am with you in theory....
but always pay attention to Chas's logic. He's pretty infallible.

If he's so infallible then he would know that the basic thing to do when asserting something is to also provide reasoning, evidence, and logic to support his assertions.

He failed.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
25-01-2015, 01:30 PM
(25-01-2015 01:13 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  wow Stevil, my apologies. I must have you confused with someone else here. Really I've had this thought associated with your name for a long time. So my mistake goes way back.
I'd rather not dig through old threads.
and I must have misread your meaning in this one too.

damn thats bad...
That's alright.

I've got my own area of crazy and certainly diverge from the considered atheist norm on a couple of topics, particularly with regards to moral beliefs (rather than believe in objective or subjective morality, I'm a moral nihilist meaning I have no moral beliefs).

With regards to personhood and how it pertains to the abortion debate, I have no need to use the personhood label as I consider abortion to be a decision best left to the pregnant woman rather than up to me or government to decide for her.

Those are the two topic I've been involved in heated arguments about. Oh, and guns but that's not philosophical.

This thread, its just about trying to clarify the quite common position of "I don't know, therefore 6" to one person who struggles to understand what "I don't know" means.
25-01-2015, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2015 01:46 PM by WitchSabrina.)
(24-01-2015 08:06 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 05:22 PM)Free Wrote:  You are cutting out most of what that discussion is about. It goes back to THIS post.

And I have supported my claims.

Big Grin

It's not just these posts or this thread.

This was me referncing Stevil,

And Ive accepted being wrong in my perception of him and his meaning.

Sometimes its not exactly what someone says but what they mean.

(hug) Free

Dont be mad at me, Free. In my world it's ok to be wrong & important to admit mistakes. I've never had a problem with that. IF you feel you're right in your argument then go ahead. I support your right to argue. And I fully support the ideology that one cannot prove a negative. Which is what I read in your posts.

25-01-2015, 01:43 PM
(25-01-2015 01:36 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 08:06 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  It's not just these posts or this thread.

This was me referncing Stevil,

Okay, but do you understand that since Stevil wasn't even mentioned in that post, and that since I was speaking to Chas, your post was identified as you agreeing with what I said to Chas?

I said to Chas: "You are cutting out most of what that discussion is about. It goes back to THIS post."

And you said: "It's not just these posts or this thread."

This resulted in an argument between Chas and myself.

25-01-2015, 01:48 PM
(25-01-2015 01:43 PM)Free Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 01:36 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  This was me referncing Stevil,

Okay, but do you understand that since Stevil wasn't even mentioned in that post, and that since I was speaking to Chas, your post was identified as you agreeing with what I said to Chas?

I said to Chas: "You are cutting out most of what that discussion is about. It goes back to THIS post."

yeah
I think that was just the timimg of posts & me typing slow on this tiny phone.
had my post fallen in line where it should have it would have more sense what I meant.

I. am heartfully sorry hon

25-01-2015, 01:50 PM
(25-01-2015 01:48 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 01:43 PM)Free Wrote:  Okay, but do you understand that since Stevil wasn't even mentioned in that post, and that since I was speaking to Chas, your post was identified as you agreeing with what I said to Chas?

yeah
I think that was just the timimg of posts & me typing slow on this tiny phone.
had my post fallen in line where it should have it would have more sense what I meant.

I. am heartfully sorry hon

Hey no problem. And I also apologize to Chas for what happened.

25-01-2015, 02:04 PM
(25-01-2015 01:36 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Dont be mad at me, Free. In my world it's ok to be wrong & important to admit mistakes. I've never had a problem with that. IF you feel you're right in your argument then go ahead. I support your right to argue. And I fully support the ideology that one cannot prove a negative. Which is what I read in your posts.

I am not angry, and it's very difficult to get angry at an obviously beautiful human being such as you. You are a precious light on this forum, and have my undying gratitude for just being you.

Bowing

I will respond more to what you said it a little bit.

[+] 1 user Likes Free's post