Why do atheists become atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
31-01-2015, 02:43 PM
RE: Why do atheists become atheists?
We know no one is born believing in gods. What term describes a person who is godless? Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2015, 02:54 PM
(31-01-2015 02:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We know no one is born believing in gods. What term describes a person who is godless? Consider

"LIBERATED"

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post
31-01-2015, 03:00 PM
(31-01-2015 02:54 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 02:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We know no one is born believing in gods. What term describes a person who is godless? Consider

"LIBERATED"

Atheist

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
31-01-2015, 03:09 PM

heathen

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
31-01-2015, 03:27 PM
(31-01-2015 03:00 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 02:54 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  "LIBERATED"

Atheist

Do I win the internet?

Banana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorro

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
31-01-2015, 04:07 PM
(31-01-2015 03:27 PM)Free Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 03:00 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Atheist

Do I win the internet?

You'll have to settle for a cookie.

31-01-2015, 04:15 PM
(12-01-2015 06:39 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  -----------
Edit: I guess it's be better to say "What makes atheists go back to atheism" since it's the default before indoctrination. Or, "What makes atheists stay atheists if they weren't indoctrinated but exposed later".

Being in the never indoctrinated category, I've never wondered if I might have missed something; I've always enjoyed the freedom to marvel at the beliefs of others. I have very much appreciated "inspiration" or creative ideas, when it is reported to have come about through a "spiritual connection" or experience ... creativity always needs some sort of stimulus.

I think doing without the god construct, gives the human mind room to progress. As a species, we ought to seriously start considering that. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
31-01-2015, 04:20 PM
(31-01-2015 04:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 03:27 PM)Free Wrote:  Do I win the internet?

You'll have to settle for a cookie.

That works.

[Image: eat%20big%20cookie.gif]

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
01-02-2015, 09:52 AM
(31-01-2015 05:59 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Gary Edwards says atheism is the judgement that it is more unlikely that a god exists than likely, whereas theism is the judgement that it is more likely that a god exists than unlikely.

I'm happy to leave the whole "atheist babies" and "atheist rocks" arguments aside. If you are not capable (yet) of forming a judgement on the probability of a god then I am happier if neither side tries to claim you. People are born without the ability to form a judgement on this issue. I'm happy to leave them in a third category, neither atheist or theist.

At the end of this ´discussion`for me the statement `a baby knows a shit of Shinola´ was very near to the truth.
Interesting for anybody who is interested to have a deeper look how children and religion come together could be the approaches of Piaget, Kohlberg and James W. Fowler.
Wiki: The most well known stage model of spiritual or religious development is that of James W. Fowler, a developmental psychologist at the Candler School of Theology, in his Stages of Faith.[43] He follows Piaget and Kohlberg and has proposed a holistic staged development of faith (or spiritual development) across the lifespan.
But be careful: if you start with looking at the website of Candler School of Theology, you may hesitate whether it makes sense to read something from Mr. Fowler…

Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true.
Thomas Paine
01-02-2015, 11:02 AM
(31-01-2015 10:23 AM)Free Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 04:25 AM)bencandide Wrote:  You are a historian? Well, well, interesting. Do you think, that makes your argumentation better?

It makes it far more informed, and therefore denotes a greater degree of credibility.

Smartass

Quote:I am overwhelmed by your intellectual capacity. I am sure you were born that way, a highly educated atheistic baby-historian with true love to logic and four-letter words.

Without logic and reasoning, we could not even add 1 + 1. Four letter words? What the fuck are you on about?

Censored

Quote:Sorry, if you cant see, that the historic argumentation you started gives no prove at all for your ´borne atheist` statement, it makes no sense to prolong this kind of exchange of ´arguments!.

Okay, "theist," if you say so. And don't pretend you are not, as your posts demonstrate a degree of cognitive dissonance. You clearly still have a large degree of theistic values.

If you don't like history, you should go get Stewey Griffin's time machine and go back and change history. With a little luck, you will obliterate yourself from the time-line and we won't need to deal with your sorry ass anymore.

Drinking Beverage

What in heaven (as I am secret theist, I have to use this word) did make you so incredibly furious? I am only somebody who committed the deadly sin not to agree with you.

. Some of these guys (mainly guys) try to dominate the internet. Well, I can live with that,

Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true.
Thomas Paine