"Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 08:59 AM
My contention is that, because atheists are liberals, and liberals love getting free stuff, that's why they celebrate Christmas. What other reason could there possibly be? Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
25-12-2016, 09:05 AM
RE: "Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"
A handy excuse to get together with everybody, eat favorite foods, laugh about things, play cards, stay up late, watch favorite movies together, sing karaoke, watch the kids smile and play as they open presents....... I could go on and on Smile
[+] 6 users Like skyking's post
25-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Some of us don't.

In fact, if it wasn't for a firework display nearby (I'm high up so I see fireworks from above) I wouldn't have remembered. Although it took me a few moments to work out why there would be fireworks today.

For Deepawali there were at least 30 simultaneous displays visible from my window so actually, this one might not have been for christmas at all.

A timely reminder though, as I was thinking of going to bed and would have forgotten to phone the family in the UK who are cooking their christmas dinner as I write.

So why do my largely atheist family do that? Because they have enforced time off work and feel obliged to get together once a year ... they have my sympathy.

Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
25-12-2016, 09:33 AM
I don't celebrate Christmas, it just happens to coincide with my festivities Wink Like others have said, it's a time when most people are off work, so everyone is around to get together. Last night, I had a dinner party, lots of food and drink, and we opened a few presents. I do have a tree-but that's only because I think it looks pretty all lit up. It's also covered in Walking Dead ornaments Tongue so nothing jebus-y going on in my house Wink

Today, I just usually lounge around in my pajamas and watch movies.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
25-12-2016, 09:46 AM
I just saw an article from the super pope saying materialism and the "lights of commerce" and worldiness took Christmas hostage...

The uncritical eye back upon itself is laughable as the Christmas Jesus tale is the event that took celebrations of light and relengthening days hostage and acts like they own it.

It's been a better celebration time for many across the northern hemisphere before Christmas. (Idk if those aboriginal, Maori, southern south Americans, and southern Africans have history of celebrating this time of year for them)

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
25-12-2016, 09:46 AM
(25-12-2016 09:33 AM)jennybee Wrote:  ...
It's also covered in Walking Dead ornaments Tongue so nothing jebus-y going on in my house Wink

:cough: Resurrection :cough:

Matty Wrote:And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose

Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
25-12-2016, 09:48 AM
At work.

Sadcryface
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
25-12-2016, 09:58 AM
(25-12-2016 09:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 09:33 AM)jennybee Wrote:  ...
It's also covered in Walking Dead ornaments Tongue so nothing jebus-y going on in my house Wink

:cough: Resurrection :cough:

Matty Wrote:And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose

Drinking Beverage

Very true, but there are only a few walkers (zombies) on my tree Big Grin and mostly Walking Dead "live" action heroes. Big Grin

Either way, my display would absolutely mortify my old pastor, which always brings a smile to my face every holiday season Laugh out load #thetruemeaningofChristmas Angel Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-12-2016, 10:04 AM
(25-12-2016 09:48 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Sadcryface

Is there something you haven't told us?

[Image: C_71_article_1594667_image_list_image_li..._image.jpg]

Consider

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
25-12-2016, 10:12 AM
I don't do xmas anymore, but when I did xmas, I loved it.

Probably because I have fond childhood memories. Xmas at our house was a ton of fun. We didn't have the custom of huge family gatherings, just lots of good food and presents. What's not to love.

I even loved going to mass with mom at midnight on the 24th (only time she ever went there, she liked the music). I mostly liked it for the walk to church, it would be snowing and everything was so quiet and sparkly.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post