"Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 10:21 AM
I neither like nor celebrate christmas. For me these are weird days when family members act even stranger than usual. Last year I was at work during that time and that was best christmas that I lived through.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
25-12-2016, 10:29 AM
RE: "Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"
'Cause food and presents! ^.^

My dad hates Christmas like all religious holidays, but we celebrate it because my mom wants to.
[+] 2 users Like AnaBunny's post
25-12-2016, 11:05 AM
It's more of a custom than anything else. It's something to do in the middle of winter. Foods good too. It has very little to do with religion anymore....thank Gawd!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Christmas day. Yay. Everything is closed. Dodgy

Fortunately, I stocked up on food and beer, so barring something unexpected, I should be good for the next 24 hours. And I also have Netflix to keep me entertained during the lock-down. Maybe I'll binge a season of something new.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
25-12-2016, 11:16 AM
I don't see Christmas as religious. The idea of bringing fir trees/branches into the home in winter was around before christianity. It is a mish mash of culture and I love it because it is so sparkly and magical. I also like the concept of waking up to a stocking full of chocolate.

Heathen's Greetings, everyone!
[+] 8 users Like freerangehuman's post
25-12-2016, 11:23 AM
(25-12-2016 11:13 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Christmas day. Yay. Everything is closed. Dodgy

Fortunately, I stocked up on food and beer, so barring something unexpected, I should be good for the next 24 hours. And I also have Netflix to keep me entertained during the lock-down. Maybe I'll binge a season of something new.

Do you do special things over Hanukkah? Do you have some sort of special foods you eat and get together with family?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Why do Christians have Easter egg hunts on Easter? That's pretty pagan of them.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
25-12-2016, 11:57 AM
(25-12-2016 11:23 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 11:13 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Christmas day. Yay. Everything is closed. Dodgy

Do you do special things over Hanukkah? Do you have some sort of special foods you eat and get together with family?

Yup! No special, specific meal, but we often get together and eat. Latkes and donuts are popular items for Hanukkah. Yummy! Christmas and Hanukkah only cross paths once in awhile, though, so our festivities do not necessarily take place at the same time the Christians are celebrating. Sometimes we're finished with our holiday by the early part of December. This year, it happens that Hanukkah started last night, but my family isn't getting together to celebrate until New Years eve.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
25-12-2016, 12:57 PM
(25-12-2016 08:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  My contention is that, because atheists are liberals, and liberals love getting free stuff, that's why they celebrate Christmas. What other reason could there possibly be? Big Grin

I am not liberal. Also, Christmas is really a secular holiday now.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
25-12-2016, 01:30 PM
My family loves Christmas. How would it feel to them if I shut them out or refuse to see them just because I don't believe in gods? It would be awfully petty. Is there anything wrong with getting together with family on a particular day? Isn't Christmas actually stolen from pagan rituals associated with Saturnalia, another god's day? So why would I let some Christian tyranny steal my opportunity to see my family and make my kids and grandkids happy?

It's not like I'm kneeling in prayer and eating Jesus' flesh while praying to his whore of a mother.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post