"Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 02:26 PM
RE: "Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"
Right after I finished my reply I saw this in my FB feed:

Asking why Atheists celebrate Christmas is like asking people who don't want children why they have sex.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
25-12-2016, 02:28 PM
(25-12-2016 02:26 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Right after I finished my reply I saw this in my FB feed:

Asking why Atheists celebrate Christmas is like asking people who don't want children why they have sex.

It's like a 'Fire drill', right? Consider

Every one always practices in case of a fire... but no one really wants one?

Tongue
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Peebothuhul's post
25-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Yup, just an excuse to get myself on the outside of a garlicky roast chicken, a bottle of wine, some chocs . . .

And hope my heart survives it all.

But I would argue about liberals being happy to get free stuff, GN. I am pretty liberal but probably give more in charity donations and gifts to local schools etc each year than I ever receive because my income is currently above my living costs and I have little to save for, at 72, with no family.

Of course, I have our good old National Health Service to help me stay alive, though I do pay for private consultations when I feel it is necessary. Get more attention and info over 55 minutes private than 10 minutes clinic! Even if it costs about £200.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
25-12-2016, 02:48 PM
I mostly celebrate it as an excuse to indulge in egregiously decadent cooking. Lots of time to putter around in the kitchen, enjoy a bit of wine with dinner, and not have to be anywhere in particular for at least another 36 hours afterwards.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
25-12-2016, 03:11 PM
(25-12-2016 08:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  My contention is that, because atheists are liberals, and liberals love getting free stuff, that's why they celebrate Christmas. What other reason could there possibly be? Big Grin

Well, it's not exactly free stuff. Somebody in the family has to pay for it. Not all atheists are liberal. George Wills, the conservative columnist, is an atheist and celebrates Christmas.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-12-2016, 03:44 PM
I'm only in it for the food. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
25-12-2016, 04:05 PM
The winter solstice, celebrated in the heat of the Aussie summer?

I don't celebrate xmas. I don't begrudge those who do. In fact I had two lovely nights out with mates. We were celebrating each others company. I mean, they're Aussies. So not religious.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
25-12-2016, 04:49 PM
(25-12-2016 03:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 08:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  My contention is that, because atheists are liberals, and liberals love getting free stuff, that's why they celebrate Christmas. What other reason could there possibly be? Big Grin

Well, it's not exactly free stuff. Somebody in the family has to pay for it. Not all atheists are liberal. George Wills, the conservative columnist, is an atheist and celebrates Christmas.

I was being non-serious. Tongue

25-12-2016, 06:52 PM
It's important to remember that Saturn ate Hades or something.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-12-2016, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2016 08:34 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-12-2016 10:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't do xmas anymore, but when I did xmas, I loved it.

Probably because I have fond childhood memories. Xmas at our house was a ton of fun. We didn't have the custom of huge family gatherings, just lots of good food and presents. What's not to love.

I even loved going to mass with mom at midnight on the 24th (only time she ever went there, she liked the music). I mostly liked it for the walk to church, it would be snowing and everything was so quiet and sparkly.

Holiday traditions don't *belong* to anyone.
I love the walk too. Mom and I still do it. I treasure it. My little bro came this year, and my partner too. I think his (Justy's) my brother's 'eyes were opened' about why we do it. She asks me every year to go with her. She dresses up in my granny's jewels my gramps gave her. It's important to her, and that's all I care. She's the MOST elegant lady there. I see some of my (drunk ) friends. Tongue
It's a hoot. I wouldn't miss it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.