"Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 08:01 PM
RE: "Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"
Saturnalia, the pagan holiday, is a booze fest.

I likes me some booze.

And anime.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2016, 08:33 PM
(25-12-2016 07:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 10:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't do xmas anymore, but when I did xmas, I loved it.

Probably because I have fond childhood memories. Xmas at our house was a ton of fun. We didn't have the custom of huge family gatherings, just lots of good food and presents. What's not to love.

I even loved going to mass with mom at midnight on the 24th (only time she ever went there, she liked the music). I mostly liked it for the walk to church, it would be snowing and everything was so quiet and sparkly.

Holiday traditions don't *belong* to anyone.
I love the walk too. Mom and I still do it. I treasure it. My little bro came this year, and my partner too. I think his (Justy's) 'eyes were opened' about why we do it. She asks me every year to go with her. She dresses up in my granny's jewels my gramps gave her. It's important to her, and that's all I care. She's the MOST elegant lady there. I see some of my (drunk ) friends. Tongue
It's a hoot. I wouldn't miss it.

Is this the Catholic church you're attending?

I've been to church twice in my entire life. (I don't count weddings and funerals as attending church) One time was to hear a friend sing in the choir and the other was a midnight Christmas mass in an Episcopal church. I was around 21 or so. Other than being interested in the fabric content of the priest's robes and how it was sewn together I was board stiff and oddly depressed. I was so far out of my comfort zone, it was like being in some weird, bizarro church world or something and I was very disturbed by the whole spectacle. That church service totally ruined my christmas that winter and I've made sure never to repeat it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-12-2016, 08:50 PM
(25-12-2016 08:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 07:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Holiday traditions don't *belong* to anyone.
I love the walk too. Mom and I still do it. I treasure it. My little bro came this year, and my partner too. I think his (Justy's) 'eyes were opened' about why we do it. She asks me every year to go with her. She dresses up in my granny's jewels my gramps gave her. It's important to her, and that's all I care. She's the MOST elegant lady there. I see some of my (drunk ) friends. Tongue
It's a hoot. I wouldn't miss it.

Is this the Catholic church you're attending?

I've been to church twice in my entire life. (I don't count weddings and funerals as attending church) One time was to hear a friend sing in the choir and the other was a midnight Christmas mass in an Episcopal church. I was around 21 or so. Other than being interested in the fabric content of the priest's robes and how it was sewn together I was board stiff and oddly depressed. I was so far out of my comfort zone, it was like being in some weird, bizarro church world or something and I was very disturbed by the whole spectacle. That church service totally ruined my christmas that winter and I've made sure never to repeat it.

The Episcopal church by us. Most people are drunk. They have really really good music.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
25-12-2016, 11:09 PM
I don't celebrate xmas, I just get together with family and friends to enjoy each other's company, feast and exchange gifts. Hell we do the same thing on birthdays but then it's a one way street. About the one thing xtians do that I don't on xmas is think about Jesus.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
26-12-2016, 02:06 AM
I'm not boycotting it or anything I'm just way too lazy. I honestly can't believe all the shit people do. Go buy a tree, lug it back, put a bunch of goofy shit on it, buy a bunch of shit, wrap it up, hang up stockings, fix and clean an elaborate meal, clean up other shit, take down and box up all the decorations, find a way to get rid of that tree plus people visit their parents or have guests... That's more house work in a week than I do all year.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
29-12-2016, 08:51 AM
(25-12-2016 08:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  My contention is that, because atheists are liberals, and liberals love getting free stuff, that's why they celebrate Christmas. What other reason could there possibly be? Big Grin

I've decided this year that I'm no longer going to be celebrating Christmas. Instead I'm celebrating the Winter Solstice. Now that is a real reason to celebrate. It means bike packing season is just around the corner. I hate the short days of winter.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
29-12-2016, 09:36 AM
(25-12-2016 08:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  My contention is that, because atheists are liberals, and liberals love getting free stuff, that's why they celebrate Christmas. What other reason could there possibly be? Big Grin

Nothing so indirect as that (particularly since I am the one doing the purchasing of all the "free" stuff teeny bopper kids like you get), I just enjoy being blasphemous. Warms me cockles. I like going to church too so God can see me blaspheme. Strangely, the Christians view my attendance as penitence and contriteness instead of blasphemy.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
30-12-2016, 02:02 AM
I celebrated Christmas my entire life, and when I became an atheist, none of that changed - except for my attendance at Midnight Mass. :P

When my fiancé (who's also secular) and I get around to having kids, we're going to implement Christmas in the family as any typical Christian person would - minus all the religious facets of course. ;)
30-12-2016, 05:29 AM
I don't celebrate holidays at all.....

Seasonally mandated enforced frivolity seems like a shallow way of having a good time........

I don't need people to tell me when to have fun, eat, get laid, or take a shit...

I'm pretty adept at figuring out the timing myself....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-12-2016, 10:12 PM
(25-12-2016 09:05 AM)skyking Wrote:  A handy excuse to get together with everybody, eat favorite foods, laugh about things, play cards, stay up late, watch favorite movies together, sing karaoke, watch the kids smile and play as they open presents....... I could go on and on Smile

This.

To me it's not a religious holiday. A decorated tree, presents, a big dinner...none of that has anything to do with Jesus.