"Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2016, 10:18 PM
RE: "Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"
(25-12-2016 11:09 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I don't celebrate xmas, I just get together with family and friends to enjoy each other's company, feast and exchange gifts. Hell we do the same thing on birthdays but then it's a one way street. About the one thing xtians do that I don't on xmas is think about Jesus.

Most of them don't think about Jesus whatsoever. At least my family and I didn't.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SkeptiCal's post
05-01-2017, 02:50 AM
Folks,

I celebrate Xmas because I have to (family etc). Having said that it is a sign that the world has turned and the daylight getting longer. Winter won't go on forever and there is a whole spring, summer and autumn before I have to garage the motorbikes again. Smile

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
05-01-2017, 02:58 AM
(05-01-2017 02:50 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Folks,

I celebrate Xmas because I have to (family etc). Having said that it is a sign that the world has turned and the daylight getting longer. Winter won't go on forever and there is a whole spring, summer and autumn before I have to garage the motorbikes again. Smile

D.

So I'm not the only one who celebrates each additional minute of daylight as soon as they start getting longer.
I also celebrate Christmas for family, it's an occasion to see my family since I live 550 km from them.
Even though I'm not so fond of Christmas, I must admit than all the decoration in the towns and villages here make them look really nice, it makes this dreary period of the year a bit more joyful.
05-01-2017, 03:15 PM
(05-01-2017 02:58 AM)Sturm Wrote:  Even though I'm not so fond of Christmas, I must admit than all the decoration in the towns and villages here make them look really nice, it makes this dreary period of the year a bit more joyful.

Well, that's the origin of all the lights - it's a pagan festival of light to call back the sun.
Works every time. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2017, 03:37 PM
(05-01-2017 03:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 02:58 AM)Sturm Wrote:  Even though I'm not so fond of Christmas, I must admit than all the decoration in the towns and villages here make them look really nice, it makes this dreary period of the year a bit more joyful.

Well, that's the origin of all the lights - it's a pagan festival of light to call back the sun.
Works every time. Thumbsup

So far............................................

Consider

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Late to the party here, but ... why WOULDN'T an atheist celebrate Christmas if they wanted to? It's all but 100% secular anymore anyway. It's fun stuff, particularly if you have small children to entertain.

I don't celebrate it in any significant way anymore because my wife and I don't care and our nest is empty. The small wreath hung on our front door with sticky tape represented 100% of our seasonal decorations until we found out our son was unexpectedly going to spend the holiday with us. Then I doubled our decorations by purchasing a little sled with a floral arrangement in it so we would have something to put his perfunctory Christmas card under. We were all fine with that level of observation and no one would have been hurt if we hadn't bothered even with that. [shrug]

But ... if you want to celebrate Christmas, it's no more a sellout than participating in Thanksgiving or Halloween. It's just a diversion. Don't take life so seriously that you have to parse all these customs through some special filter and make sure you aren't sullied by them.
10-03-2017, 10:17 AM
For me, it's because of the way I was raised, like it was just something we did. And I'll be totally honest, I didn't know for a long long time, the whole point of it was because it's supposedly a certain lord and saviors birthday.

But what it means to me as a person outweighs the christian overtones of the holiday, and I think that despite there being other winter holidays in various religions, every person has the same basic appreciation for what happens at that time: you get together with your family/friends, and have a good time.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
10-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Actually, I don't really "celebrate" Christmas at all. I don't have any close family to worry about hurt feelings, and I don't give or receive any presents. And I will never hang a Christmas decoration as long as I live. So don't assume all atheists celebrate Christmas—we don't.

Like a lot of other public celebrations, Christmas has been taken over by the corporate marketing machine, selling crap to a gullible market. Last Christmas here in Australia, something like $9.9 billion was spent on presents [ARA/Roy Morgan Research]. Which equates to $599 per person.

Disgusting. Angry

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-03-2017, 11:32 AM
At least in the USA (I can't speaking knowingly about the rest of "Christendom") Christmas has established a secular set of traditions and become a cultural fixture completely outside the birth of Jesus. Many of the rituals and cultural customs that even actual Christians engage in as part of the celebration of the birth of Christ have in fact NOTHING TO DO with Jesus and are taken from other pre-Christian pagan winter celebrations.

I celebrate Christmas because it's a day off work and an excuse to commune with family, exchange gifts, eat, drink, and be merry, and MAYBE even do something charitable for the less fortunate as well, because it's winter in New England and people need help. What's wrong with that? Do I need to see it as the birth of a savior for it to be worth my while to do these things?
10-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Presents.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post