"Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2017, 05:38 PM
RE: "Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?"
This must be one of the BIG QUESTIONS -- it's popped up in every atheist forum I've ever participated in. Consider

I do celebrate Christmas, in my own fashion, for a number of reasons:
  • It's a part of my cultural heritage
  • In my country (USA) it's a national (i.e. not officially "religious") holiday
  • As a musician, it's a time of year when multiple gigs may be had, playing material which requires minimal effort
  • children love it, and I work closely with agencies which support children's issues, education, and the prevention of child abuse and neglect
  • Seasonal beer
  • It's a great excuse to put up outrageous lights and decorations, and play with seasonal tech toys
    (not that I don't do this at other times of the year as well...)
  • I am secure enough in my own beliefs that I do not feel unduly threatened by those of others

For me, that's plenty of reason to celebrate, even without the accompanying fairy tale. Yes

I have also been invited to, and happy to attend, the occasional Passover seder.
Hey, free food is free food, y'know? Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Dr H's post
14-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Christmas? Celebrate? I attend a Yule gathering.
Why?

Because you can't have endless nights and snowstorms without building a huge bonfire and breaking out the best of food, drinks and people at least once before spring.

Some think of it as a celebration the days are getting longer again. My impression is we're giving the finger to king Bore, by being alive and joyous at the peak of his frozen reign.
When I was younger it was custom to strip down and run wild in the snow to really rub it in the old bastard's face. (needless to say this is not a tradition for city folk, everybody knows city folk are shamestruck wimps Tongue )

Those were the good ol' crazy nights.....

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
14-03-2017, 09:59 PM
(14-03-2017 07:32 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  Christmas? Celebrate? I attend a Yule gathering.
Why?

Because you can't have endless nights and snowstorms without building a huge bonfire and breaking out the best of food, drinks and people at least once before spring.

Some think of it as a celebration the days are getting longer again. My impression is we're giving the finger to king Bore, by being alive and joyous at the peak of his frozen reign.
When I was younger it was custom to strip down and run wild in the snow to really rub it in the old bastard's face. (needless to say this is not a tradition for city folk, everybody knows city folk are shamestruck wimps Tongue )

Those were the good ol' crazy nights.....

You make the Baby Jesus cry.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-03-2017, 10:42 PM
I don't celebrate xmas. I used to play gigs on xmas eve and sleep all day. I've no interest at all.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-03-2017, 01:45 AM
For me it's just an arbitrary date on which to exchange presents, put up a load of decorations and have lots of nice food and drink. It doesn't mean anything more than that.

If I didn't have anyone to do any of that with, then I wouldn't bother.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
15-03-2017, 06:37 AM
I get Xmas, I still don't get why atheists.. or any English speaking using calender people celebrate new years on arbitrary January 1st, especially when the months that way which are named 7-10 are the 9-12th months of the year

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
16-04-2017, 12:12 AM
(15-03-2017 06:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I get Xmas, I still don't get why atheists. or any English speaking using calendar people celebrate new years on arbitrary January 1st, especially when the months that way which are named 7-10 are the 9-12th months of the year

My understanding is that the calendar used to be relatively sane, until months for Julius and Augustus Caesar were inserted -- pushing September to month #9.

As for New Year being celebrated on January 1, that started in Roman times but didn't really become standard until the Gregorian calendar.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2017, 02:05 AM
I don't. I don't celebrate any Holiday.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
16-04-2017, 09:48 AM
Because it's fun, and all the good parts of it aren't religious anyway. Fuck Jebus and his made up birthday and all that nonsense, but gifts, trees, cheesy music, and sweets are awesome.
16-04-2017, 01:20 PM
I think "celebrate" is the wrong term. It seems more like most atheists just go with the flow.
Every other bastard is stuffing their face with sugar, salt and cholesterol, and drinking gallons of piss—so why shouldn't we? Big Grin

I've noticed over the past several years here in Australia, many individuals and organisations are calling the period the "festive season"—possibly as a result of the declining incidence of religiosity in Australia, and/or the increase in atheism. Lots of people are now saying "happy holidays" to others at Christmas time, which about sums it all up.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post