Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2017, 05:57 PM
RE: Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely
(01-01-2017 11:56 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I still thin k that we miss the boat on this argument. My view now is that the word "God" is derived from the word "Khald"

It has been pretty well documented that God derives from Gott, an ancient German God, whose name became a word that meant the abstract concept of a God, and passed into English from Anglo Saxon era language. It is not a name, but an honorific. Somewhat analogous to Allah which means the god, and is also not strictly speaking, a proper name.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
02-01-2017, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 06:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-01-2017 12:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 11:56 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I still thin k that we miss the boat on this argument. My view now is that the word "God" is derived from the word "Khald" The Asssyrians had a God called Khaldi but in studying the language of this region I realized that the "I" ending is a suffix denoting possession. In other words, the name is Khald and the "I" is added to show it is the Assyrian's god"i" Turkish is like this still.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_(word)

God is a derivative of Proto-Indo-European neuter passive perfect participle *ǵʰu-tó-m. For some reason I can't stop laughing at this. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-01-2017, 07:49 PM
(01-01-2017 11:56 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I still thin k that we miss the boat on this argument. My view now is that the word "God" is derived from the word "Khald"

Are you sure that's not "clod" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-01-2017, 08:04 PM
I think Bernie would be a better name for god.

Ya know, cause he likes to burn things & people & generally just destroy shit without rhyme or reason.

"Damnit Bernie"

It has a nice ring to it, as if he was a neighbor who is a complete asshole.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-01-2017, 08:08 PM
(02-01-2017 08:04 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I think Bernie would be a better name for god.

Ya know, cause he likes to burn things & people & generally just destroy shit without rhyme or reason.

"Damnit Bernie"

It has a nice ring to it, as if he was a neighbor who is a complete asshole.

I prefer "Harvey". It's got the same tone when you say "dammit Harvey", but it has the added benefit of making it clear that you're talking to an invisible imaginary bunny.
03-01-2017, 03:58 AM
I prefer Adolf after all he's pretty maniacal genocidal and bumbling incompetent just like the Fuhrer really.