Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2016, 08:36 AM
RE: Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely
"God" is a very specific set of claims, often contradictory to other people's sets of claims about what constitutes a god, and sometimes even self-contradictory. The more specific your unsubstantiated claims get, the more likely it is that your notion of "god" is incorrect. Each additional claim about the characteristics, motives, etc. of your god exponentially increases the probability that you are incorrect.

The idea that a person should even need to feel correct about such a thing only makes sense in the context of a narrative like heaven, hell, purgatory, karma, or reincarnation.

I wouldn't say that an entity which transcends what we call "the universe," and created the stuff that's in it, is "so unlikely." I have zero statistical basis upon which to make such an assumption. I would say that I have no legitimate reason to be convinced of such a thing, though.

Lawrence Krauss has a book called A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing, but I'm convinced he picked that title partially to troll people who don't understand how science works.
"The Scientifically and Logically Consistent Argument That a Universe Could Potentially Come From Nothing" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
29-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Drive by theist me thinks, you would have thought by now they would realise that the same old hackneyed arguments don't work, I mean wtf surely they're not that dumb.
29-12-2016, 09:28 AM
It is a driveby. They've posted the same stupidity to another forum without replying.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-46929.html

May the ban hammer fly swiftly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-12-2016, 09:34 AM
(29-12-2016 09:28 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It is a driveby. They've posted the same stupidity to another forum without replying.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-46929.html

May the ban hammer fly swiftly.

What's that you say? Yet another dishonest Christian evangelist?!?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
29-12-2016, 12:03 PM
(29-12-2016 09:10 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Drive by theist me thinks, you would have thought by now they would realise that the same old hackneyed arguments don't work, I mean wtf surely they're not that dumb.

Yes, Shirley, they are. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-12-2016, 01:22 PM
(29-12-2016 12:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 09:10 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Drive by theist me thinks, you would have thought by now they would realise that the same old hackneyed arguments don't work, I mean wtf surely they're not that dumb.

Don't call them Shirley
29-12-2016, 03:18 PM
(28-12-2016 04:19 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  It seems that the evidence supports the concept of God, rather than the atheistic claim that "God probably doesn't exist".
Even if I accept everything you said before this (and I don't), how did you arrive at the concept of god being supported? What evidence?

Here's what I see from your perspective:
What atheists say doesn't make sense to me.
I see some things that coincide with my view of God and not with the atheist view.
Therefore evidence supports God.

That's not very well though out. That's like:
I think baseballs come from softballs.
People say baseballs come from factories, but I don't see any factories.
Baseballs are like small versions of softballs.
Therefore evidence supports that they come from softballs.

So please. What is your evidence for god's existence? And which god?

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
29-12-2016, 05:25 PM
(29-12-2016 12:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Laugh out load
29-12-2016, 05:33 PM

I really don't understand drive by theists. Do they think we're all suddenly going to convert with one lousy god-believing post? I don't get it. I wonder if they at least stop and read the replies. Mmmmm, probably not. Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-12-2016, 08:17 PM
[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]