Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2016, 02:11 PM
RE: Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely
(30-12-2016 01:57 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 04:19 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  How does natural selection explain the eye, for example? How can atheists claim that complex organs like the eye could have evolved, when everything we know about the eye says that it is useless unless all the components are in place at the same time.
Not even Michael Behe believes this.

I'm sure Behe would, if he could. They have simply taken the opportunity for him to hold out on the "complexity" of the eye by doing the research that clearly demonstrates it... as they later did on his own chosen pet idea, the bacterial flagellum.

One of the best moments in the Kitzmiller case transcript is where he makes the assertion on the stand, and says no one has proved him wrong, and they break out like ten scientific papers that do exactly that... then force him to admit he hadn't bothered to read any of them. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
31-12-2016, 09:45 PM
It's quite simple to me - I've found no evidence of supernatural influence on the universe. The beginning of the universe is still not understood so while it's possible a god made it that god has left us alone ever since. If that's the case then there's no reason to worship such a being or even care about its existence.
31-12-2016, 09:55 PM
(30-12-2016 09:01 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  To me the whole God hypothesis isn't so much unlikely as unnecessary. If the universe could have happened by natural processes alone, and without the intercession of a sentient omnipotent being, then why would we assume there was one? And even if we DID assume there was a divine power why would we assume we have any ability to detect it, let alone interpret its will? And even if we DID assume that we could interpret its will, why would we assume that of the THOUSANDS of gods that humans have cooked up, the currently-favored Yahweh of the Judeo-Christian tradition is the true one?

The more you look at religion - and more specifically religions other than the most common tradition in your particular area, the more the patterns of their development seem similar, the more obvious it becomes that they're all a man-made fiction, a tool used by those in power to pacify and control large groups of people and the less convincing deities become as a means to explain the existence of life and the universe.

At least to me.

All religions have one thing in common - overcoming fear of the unknown. Whether that's the weather, natural disasters, or death, people needed an easy to understand explanation for why the world is the way it is. Being the one to explain to that gives the person power so wherever there are people there will be an opportunist who will take advantage of people's fear.
[+] 1 user Likes SkeptiCal's post
01-01-2017, 06:52 AM
Why the concept of a god is unlikely.

The concept of a god cannot be distinguished from the concept of an imaginary god. They are identical.

That identical nature implies that both are imaginary.

It's just that simple

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
01-01-2017, 10:16 AM
(01-01-2017 06:52 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Why the concept of a god is unlikely.

The concept of a god cannot be distinguished from the concept of an imaginary god. They are identical.

It's just that simple
This right here is the essence and the fatal flaw of theism. It confuses what can be imagined with what is real. It's a direct result of theism's inherent subjectivism. I've asked many theists how I can reliably distinguish what they call God from something that is merely imaginary. To date none have been able to do it. This should be a real red flag to them but it seems it is not.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
01-01-2017, 10:22 AM
i don't think too many people believe Superman exists, but they think something that has even greater powers exists.

Can a man fly? How would that work without wings?

Can a man stop a freight train with a punch? How does that work with bones against tons of steel and iron?

How could the materials he was made of be capable of stopping that much metal?

We imbue these imaginary characters with these powers, but we know at a basic level it's impossible for these powers to work in real life.

When confronted with such blatant impossibility, the believer must redefine their god to be incorporeal, "beyond" space and time, which is essentially meaningless.

This doesn't explain why your god concept can still exist in light of the basic impossibility of it, it simply redefines it and grants it even more impossible characteristics as an explanation. Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
01-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Do you still believe in Santa Clause? How about the tooth fairy? If you don't, what is your reason? You've never seen them? You have no evidence or proof of their existence? You realized magic isn't real?

Unless a sky dude appears on earth and starts performing some miracles, I am not believing in fairy tales.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
01-01-2017, 10:34 AM
(01-01-2017 10:16 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 06:52 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Why the concept of a god is unlikely.

It's just that simple
This right here is the essence and the fatal flaw of theism. It confuses what can be imagined with what is real. It's a direct result of theism's inherent subjectivism. I've asked many theists how I can reliably distinguish what they call God from something that is merely imaginary. To date none have been able to do it. This should be a real red flag to them but it seems it is not.

My favorite is when they point to things in nature as proof of god's existence. Often with expletives (because they are EXCITED!!)
God provided us with clean water for drinking! Food to eat! Wood to burn for warmth! This is proof that He loves us!!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
01-01-2017, 10:36 AM
I feel like newcomers should be put on some sort of probation.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2017, 11:00 AM
(30-12-2016 05:06 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Here we go with the eye thing... Rolleyes

I see what you did there. Smile