Why do atheists deny this knock-down argument against atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 09:24 PM by Colourcraze.)
RE: Why do atheists deny this knock-down argument against atheism?
(16-09-2014 05:57 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 05:30 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  ...my bible says "wild ox" for all instances of unicorn. Consider

KJV, the christian apologists have modified the bible to alleviate these painful scriptures. Here do a comparison here...

http://www.biblestudytools.com/kjv/numbers/23-22.html

You can type in the scripture, click the box and select which bible you want to look at. KJV is the oldest version, thus the truest to original. They figured out it was hard to explain away unicorns so they changed it to ox etc...

I thought it must be a different version. I have the new king James. Now I wonder what the original (Hebrew?) was.

Edit: I looked up the Hebrew, which is רְאֵם. It translates to "oryx" or "buffalo," which I had no idea what an oryx was so I had to look that up, too. It's an endangered antelope that looks like this:

[Image: 320px-Oryx_gazella_in_the_Kgalagadi_Tran...rk_002.jpg]

Not exactly a unicorn..

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2014, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 09:32 PM by Reltzik.)
(16-09-2014 09:12 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 05:57 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  KJV, the christian apologists have modified the bible to alleviate these painful scriptures. Here do a comparison here...

You can type in the scripture, click the box and select which bible you want to look at. KJV is the oldest version, thus the truest to original. They figured out it was hard to explain away unicorns so they changed it to ox etc...

I thought it must be a different version. I have the new king James. Now I wonder what the original (Hebrew?) was.

If you read the preface of KJV (16:6-7), the translating priests explain to King James (between ludicrously extensive bouts of ass-kissing) that they had some trouble identifying the correct English translation of certain creatures, minerals, etc. I assume that "unicorn" was an example of this, and it's why I don't much like the "yeah, well, your book has unicorns in it!" argument.

EDIT: I highly recommend a read of the preface. While I've never had the opportunity to do this myself, I can only imagine with great joy the look upon the face of someone who insists that KJV is the "original" Bible, only to then be shown references to other, earlier English translations WITHIN KJV ITSELF (Preface: 9:21).

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
16-09-2014, 09:29 PM
(16-09-2014 09:27 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 09:12 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I thought it must be a different version. I have the new king James. Now I wonder what the original (Hebrew?) was.

If you read the preface of KJV (16:6-7), the translating priests explain to King James (between ludicrously extensive bouts of ass-kissing) that they had some trouble identifying the correct English translation of certain creatures, minerals, etc. I assume that "unicorn" was an example of this, and it's why I don't much like the "yeah, well, your book has unicorns in it!" argument.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I think this case is just a bizarre translation.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
16-09-2014, 10:41 PM
(15-09-2014 05:34 PM)KittensForChrist Wrote:  p: The Bible is God's word.*
q: The Bible says that God cannot lie.**
h: The Bible says that God exists.***
i: God cannot lie.
j: God exists.

[(p∧q⇒i)∧h]⇒j

* Proven by 2 Timothy 3:16.
** Proven by Numbers 23:19.
*** Proven by John 3:16.

This logically proves God without a shadow of doubt. It's even published in The Astronomical Journal, which proves that the argument is true and factual. It is impossible to disprove it because the conclusion logically follows the premises.

Will atheists be honest and renounce their atheism before it's too late? You all just hate God anyways, you aren't even atheists because everyone knows God exists. You're just mad because something bad happened to you, like the professor in that God's Not Dead movie. That movie has a very accurate depiction of atheism and disproves evolution "theory" and the Big Bang "theory" by proving that God exists by giving quotes by the greatest atheists showing they are unsure.

If you don't repent, you will die! Read Revelations and be very afraid, this is what will happen to you if you don't repent!

It won't.

The concept of God contradicts known facts such as the primacy of existence so the bible is not the word of God and the universe was not created by any God.

1. If the objects of consciousness do not conform to the subject of consciousness, then existence hold metaphysical primacy over consciousness.

2. The objects of consciousness do not conform to the subject of consciousness.

3. Therefore existence holds metaphysical primacy over consciousness.

Two:

1. If existence holds metaphysical primacy over consciousness, then the universe was not created by a god.

2. Existence holds metaphysical primacy.

3. Therefore the universe was not created by a god.

Got any more irrefutable arguments?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
17-09-2014, 04:28 AM
(16-09-2014 03:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Post #69

What do I win?

More unfulfilled promises of orgies...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-09-2014, 05:28 AM
(16-09-2014 04:07 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I have 7 witnesses that saw the great purple unicorn last night fly over the moon and spray sprinkles of pure magic down upon them. As true believers they were all instantly blessed. The witnesses were Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy and Dopey! Big Grin

Oh oh, me too! I saw that too. I believe!

Wait a minute. It wasn't a purple unicorn; it was a can of beans Big Grin

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
17-09-2014, 09:37 AM
I saw a unicorn once, but he'd really let himself go.

[Image: gohr-ellis-side-view-650.jpg]

... this is my signature!
[+] 8 users Like cjlr's post
17-09-2014, 01:19 PM
(16-09-2014 09:12 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 05:57 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  KJV, the christian apologists have modified the bible to alleviate these painful scriptures. Here do a comparison here...

Edit: I looked up the Hebrew, which is רְאֵם. It translates to "oryx" or "buffalo," which I had no idea what an oryx was so I had to look that up, too. It's an endangered antelope that looks like this:

Not exactly a unicorn..

yeah that is pretty much the reason I don't use the unicorn attack anymore, translation games are fun but not serious evidence. But it IS in the KJV hehe. Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
17-09-2014, 01:37 PM
(16-09-2014 03:19 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 02:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 02:43 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 01:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  What? No burnt offerings? Shocking
Absolutely not! Angry

I prefer my offerings medium rare.

You make a meaty argument. Drinking Beverage
There could be a lot of money at steak.
Well done. Thumbsup

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
17-09-2014, 02:05 PM
(17-09-2014 01:19 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 09:12 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I thought it must be a different version. I have the new king James. Now I wonder what the original (Hebrew?) was.

Not exactly a unicorn..

yeah that is pretty much the reason I don't use the unicorn attack anymore, translation games are fun but not serious evidence. But it IS in the KJV hehe. Drooling

The KJV has beautiful language, but it is based on a very limited set of Latin manuscripts.

And the authors had never even heard of an oryx.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post