Why do atheists know more about religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2013, 02:27 PM
RE: Why do atheists know more about religion?
And! Impartiality. There's no emotional investment holding us back from learning about the distasteful bits.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 09:57 AM
(27-03-2013 05:17 PM)f stop Wrote:  In 2010 the PEW Research Center conducted a survey of people's knowledge of religion. Only Jewish respondents scored higher than atheists/agnostics. Why? People have told me that it's because atheists want to study up on what the do not believe in so they can trump theists in debates. I don't think that's the case, certainly not for me. As a young man I studied the Bible searching for truth, searching for salvation. I didn't find it.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-rel...knowledge/

I study it because I find it fascinating. Besides, is it not wise to know the beliefs of the masses?

[Image: tumblr_mkm9ujpxso1qbdwsho1_500.gif]

This is how I wake in the morning; awesome, spectacular, fabulous, and ready to go.
21-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Christians aren't supposed to know anything, thinking doesn't go well with the whole faith thing. Wink
Find all posts by this user
21-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Everyone has their reasons. I like to dabble because it's interesting to me. Smile

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
21-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Religion is history, too. How much of us are history buffs? It's also has a psychological component, as well as philosophical. Those are all interests. I really don't go around debating people, at all. I just read a lot, maybe have some discussions. It just interests me (like Cheap said).
21-04-2013, 08:02 PM
I don't now much about it, although just being here I have picked up a lot. Last time I looked at a bible I was 10. Didn't like it then and don't like it now.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I give a harrumph to all that has been said so far.

I grew up in the church and the only thing that brought me to unbelief was an honest inquiry into what and why I believed, other than because I was brought up to do so.

I was, and am, amazed at how much I didn't know after a lifetime in the church. I now make it a point to absorb all I can about what I used to blindly follow.

Plus there's so much discord and debate to be had about the subject that if you're at all interested, it never gets boring.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
21-04-2013, 08:24 PM
There are those who want to do the work, and there are those who just want sit back and enjoy a free ride, atheists for the most part are with the former.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
22-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Pretty much the same. As a young child, I was repeatedly told that I was a Catholic. As an older child, I decided to figure out precisely what that meant. As soon as I actually read the bible (and other religious texts), I realized I was not and had never been a Christian. It just took a while to find the term "atheist" because this was before the internet and everyone I knew was Catholic.

But I agree: many atheists are atheists precisely because they know a lot about religion.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
24-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I guess I'm just the anomaly.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]