Why do cartoons suck?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Why do cartoons suck?
I was surfing around my dozen or so TB of Videos and found one of my cartoon folders and found Rugrats season 1. After just watching the Halloween episode I started to think about the stupid crap they have on these days.

Annoying Orange
Johnny Test
Uncle Grandpa
and so many others in the last 5-10 years or so that...that just suck egg noodles.

What ever happened to the fun and creative spirit that cartoonists had back in the 90's?
When cartoons could enchant you with characters that were not modernized like Johnny test is and rely soly on repeating the same crap over again or trying too hard to have relate-able characters?

The last really great cartoon I can remember was either Invader Zim or Samurai Jack. Everything else has just been average at best. Does anyone else feel this way when they look at what is presented today and think that what they had growing up was just superior? Even my Pseudo uncle who is now in his 60's loves some of the shows from the 90's. Heck, one of my old neighbors dad as a kid growing up LOVED the thundercats!

What is wrong with all these shows these days eh?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Shadow Fox's post
24-05-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: Why do cartoons suck?
(24-05-2014 10:56 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I was surfing around my dozen or so TB of Videos and found one of my cartoon folders and found Rugrats season 1. After just watching the Halloween episode I started to think about the stupid crap they have on these days.

Annoying Orange
Johnny Test
Uncle Grandpa
and so many others in the last 5-10 years or so that...that just suck egg noodles.

What ever happened to the fun and creative spirit that cartoonists had back in the 90's?
When cartoons could enchant you with characters that were not modernized like Johnny test is and rely soly on repeating the same crap over again or trying too hard to have relate-able characters?

The last really great cartoon I can remember was either Invader Zim or Samurai Jack. Everything else has just been average at best. Does anyone else feel this way when they look at what is presented today and think that what they had growing up was just superior? Even my Pseudo uncle who is now in his 60's loves some of the shows from the 90's. Heck, one of my old neighbors dad as a kid growing up LOVED the thundercats!

What is wrong with all these shows these days eh?

It's true that most modern cartoons are bilious, but they're the only cartoons I've ever known, sadly. I'm glad I don't have cable. There are some good ones, though. To name a few:

[Image: Opening_Avatar_logo.png]

[Image: 250px-My_Little_Pony_Friendship_is_Magic_logo.svg.png]

[Image: Adventure_Time-1920x1080.png]

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
24-05-2014, 11:09 PM
I like 80s and 90s cartoons better, but I'm not sure if it's because they really are better, or it's because I grew up with them. I'm the same way with music and video games and various other things. I've wondered if things really did go down hill or if it was just me unable to accept change.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes Elskidor's post
24-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Princess Bubblegum & Marceline are my favorites....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNwc40dL0VJhCMcc185nH...PpyiNxUe3D]

[Image: MarcelineRocknRoll.png]

My kids like Adventure Time and the grown ups in this house do too.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
24-05-2014, 11:47 PM
(24-05-2014 11:33 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Princess Bubblegum & Marceline are my favorites....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNwc40dL0VJhCMcc185nH...PpyiNxUe3D]

[Image: MarcelineRocknRoll.png]

My kids like Adventure Time and the grown ups in this house do too.

yeah, adventure time has some great episodes. Its an average show overall and the only truly great episodes for me are the ones involving the past during the mushroom war and afterwards. Namely the Maci x Simon episodes.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
25-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Re: Why do cartoons suck?
I think of the last decade there's been two quality cartoons. Adventure Time, though I haven't watched it the past 2 years so maybe it went bad, and The misadventures of Flapjack.

I just see to,many cartoons on placating children and allowing their craft to be simply unoriginal and static. I thought those two shows had fun with creativity on the verge of weird, but never were simply absurdist without humor that peaks for adults/Childs alike.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-05-2014, 01:51 PM
It depends. I like many cartoons for marvel. And I am with TSG on MLP:FIM because it is funny. I though am not a big fan of cartoons. You should instead watch shows like darkwing duck or mighty mouse new adventures as those where great cartoons.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
25-05-2014, 02:08 PM
I feel like a dinosaur now.
25-05-2014, 02:45 PM
I really believe everyone is biased about the cartoons the generations following them watch.

I was born in 1990, and I always said that the cartoons from 95-00 were the best. My sister, born in '81, prefers the ones from 85 to 95. My other sister, born in '94, prefers the ones after 2000. I doubt it's a coincidence that every single person I've met follows this pattern.

Now, I recently searched for some cartoons I used to watch as a kid and, as much as they made me feel nostalgic, I couldn't stand them. They bored me to death. At the same time, I've found some new ones that I can watch and actually enjoy.

It's all relative. And we're all biased.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
25-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Tom and Jerry, that cartoon never gets old, still love watching it after all these years.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post