Why do cartoons suck?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2014, 01:28 AM
RE: Why do cartoons suck?
(26-05-2014 01:05 AM)Dee Wrote:  Where did that Roadrunner go?

Roadrunner was awesome, poor Wile E. Sad

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
26-05-2014, 02:35 AM
(26-05-2014 01:28 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

In real life, Coyotes are faster runners than Roadrunners.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
26-05-2014, 06:33 AM
(26-05-2014 01:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-05-2014 12:55 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Correction, the stereotype japan is weird. Also to add we are weird as well. In fact name one none weird country.

Correction: Anything outside of one's comfort zone is weird.

Japan has vending machines that dispense everything from sushi to clean panties. The United States fetishizes gun ownership. You can get gravey for your fries at a McDonalds in Quebec, Canada; or falafals in Turkey. We're all weird, and Japan is no exception.

Correct on all, except one thing, the japanese pants vending machine is an urban legend for now.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/japan_u...hines_5650

http://sex.omgfacts.com/Sex+Facts/In-Jap...-for/12422

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
26-05-2014, 09:22 AM
(24-05-2014 10:56 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I was surfing around my dozen or so TB of Videos and found one of my cartoon folders and found Rugrats season 1. After just watching the Halloween episode I started to think about the stupid crap they have on these days.

Annoying Orange
Johnny Test
Uncle Grandpa
and so many others in the last 5-10 years or so that...that just suck egg noodles.

What ever happened to the fun and creative spirit that cartoonists had back in the 90's?
When cartoons could enchant you with characters that were not modernized like Johnny test is and rely soly on repeating the same crap over again or trying too hard to have relate-able characters?

The last really great cartoon I can remember was either Invader Zim or Samurai Jack. Everything else has just been average at best. Does anyone else feel this way when they look at what is presented today and think that what they had growing up was just superior? Even my Pseudo uncle who is now in his 60's loves some of the shows from the 90's. Heck, one of my old neighbors dad as a kid growing up LOVED the thundercats!

What is wrong with all these shows these days eh?

Political correctness had ruined most cartoons....but then political correctness has had a deleterious effect on sports, news, opinion columns, photography, authorship, conversation, social gatherings, inner city life, and other topics too numerous to list.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
26-05-2014, 02:38 PM
The only good cartoons now-a-days are Adventure Time and Regular Show. They're modernized, but they're down to earth, and not stupid and shitty like Uncle Grandpa and all of that other shit that comes on.

I miss the days of Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd and Eddy, and The Powerpuff Girls.

Sad

These were my homies.

[Image: Gangreen_Gang.png]

The real deal. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
26-05-2014, 02:59 PM
(26-05-2014 01:28 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

I know that old video game ended up under my sledge hammer. Wile always caught me, and it was nothing like the show, lol.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
26-05-2014, 08:10 PM
There are a few gems here and there:
[Image: batman-the-brave-and-the-bold-batman-382...0-1024.jpg]

Ben 10 is still pretty decent at times.

Of course, I gravitate towards the Japanese end of the animation spectrum... and there is still plenty of note happening over there.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
27-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Why do cartoons suck?
I miss the days when cartoons were actually drawn well, but undergroundp has a point: I was born in 1980 and have also felt (like his sister) that cartoons started going downhill around 1995, when the Powerpuff Girls/Johnny Bravo style of animation became the new standard. I went from seeing animation like DuckTales, Tiny Toon Adventures, Darkwing Duck, and Animaniacs to things like Adventure Time and other modern shows that seem to have intentionally crude character design and animation. Sure, there are handful of cartoons that are drawn well, but most seem to be following the trend of drawing things as poorly as possible.
27-05-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2014 09:47 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(27-05-2014 08:23 PM)Ducky Wrote:  I miss the days when cartoons were actually drawn well, but undergroundp has a point: I was born in 1980 and have also felt (like his sister) that cartoons started going downhill around 1995, when the Powerpuff Girls/Johnny Bravo style of animation became the new standard. I went from seeing animation like DuckTales, Tiny Toon Adventures, Darkwing Duck, and Animaniacs to things like Adventure Time and other modern shows that seem to have intentionally crude character design and animation. Sure, there are handful of cartoons that are drawn well, but most seem to be following the trend of drawing things as poorly as possible.

Except that Duck Tales, Tiny Toon Adventures, the Animaniacs, and Darkwing Duck were not the standard; they were the exception. They were either done by Disney (which invested better talent and more money into their cartoons), or in the case of Animaniacs and Tiny Toons they were the pet projects of Steven Spielberg; and likewise had the better budgets and had to compete with the higher quality that Disney had established. The standard frames per second for film (animated or otherwise) is 24fps. Cartoons in the 80's, in an effort to save time and money, often animated at half of that (12 frames per second). They basically shot each animation frame twice to get it to 24fps. Japanese cartoons of the time (Gundam, Voltron, etc.) look even worse because they were made at 6 frames per second. Then you also take into account their other cost saving techniques, like the static action shot that relies on a moving color background without actually animating the character to represent 'movement' or 'action', and you can see the origin of many Japanese animation tropes (like the shots of people's heads with just their mouth moving for lots of the dialogue or recycled animation shots like the transformation of the Sailor Scouts).

You may not like the 'style' of the newer cartoons, but with the advent of computers it made it easier to get animation back to 24fps. Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack (and just about anything else on Cartoon Network at that time) were better animated that anything from the 80's that was not a feature length film (and in the case of Yellow Submarine, substantially better than some films). Animation is about movement and weight, and some modern cartoons come pretty close to nailing it (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comes to mind).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-05-2014, 10:04 PM
(27-05-2014 09:34 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Except that Duck Tales, Tiny Toon Adventures, the Animaniacs, and Darkwing Duck were not the standard; they were the exception. They were either done by Disney (which invested better talent and more money into their cartoons), or in the case of Animaniacs and Tiny Toons they were the pet projects of Steven Spielberg; and likewise had the better budgets and had to compete with the higher quality that Disney had established. The standard frames per second for film (animated or otherwise) is 24fps. Cartoons in the 80's, in an effort to save time and money, often animated at half of that (12 frames per second). They basically shot each animation frame twice to get it to 24fps. Japanese cartoons of the time (Gundam, Voltron, etc.) look even worse because they were made at 6 frames per second. Then you also take into account their other cost saving techniques, like the static action shot that relies on a moving color background without actually animating the character to represent 'movement' or 'action', and you can see the origin of many Japanese animation tropes (like the shots of people's heads with just their mouth moving for lots of the dialogue or recycled animation shots like the transformation of the Sailor Scouts).

You may not like the 'style' of the newer cartoons, but with the advent of computers it made it easier to get animation back to 24fps. Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack (and just about anything else on Cartoon Network at that time) were better animated that anything from the 80's that was not a feature length film (and in the case of Yellow Submarine, substantially better than some films). Animation is about movement and weight, and some modern cartoons come pretty close to nailing it (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comes to mind).

Now, now, there's no need to get all defensive. I was simply reiterating what undergroundp stated earlier: the decade one grew up in influences the opinion one has over which cartoons were the "best." I grew up in the 80s and early 90s, so I favor those cartoons and don't care for a lot of the modern ones. That doesn't mean that everything on TV now is crap (I'm also a fan of MLP), it just means that I favor a different style of animation because that's what I grew up with. I also hold the opinion that the shorts produced by Warner Bros and Disney back in the Golden Age of animation were the very best. Does that mean that it's necessarily true? Perhaps, perhaps not. Those are just the cartoons I watched growing up, so that's the standard I hold other cartoons to.