Why do christians think bits of the OT don't apply to them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 03:42 AM
Why do christians think bits of the OT don't apply to them?
On occasions when I've been debating with a christian - usually of the evangelical persuasion - they bring up the subject of morality.

"If we didn't have the bible, " they say, "We would have no moral compass."

Or

"The bible provides us with moral guidance upon which our laws are based."

So I point out the morally repugnant directives that are contained in the bible, such as those to do with slavery, punishment etc. along with the immorality such as rape, incest, infanticide, genocide. Not to mention the weird stuff like not eating lobster, wearing mixed fibres etc.

Quite often there's a deafening silence but sometimes you'll get an attempt at wriggling out of it by them stating that the NT is different and THAT's what makes them a christian as opposed to a Jew, and that Jebus made a new covenant yah de yah de yah. For example:

"Christ came to fulfill the law, not to extinguish it, but it does have the effect that many ritual practices and practical laws are forgiven Christians.

So can anyone tell me the justification of this view? Where does it say any of this in the NT? And why do they claim this while at the same time cherry picking the OT?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Silly Deity's post
10-03-2017, 04:01 AM
RE: Why do christians think bits of the OT don't apply to them?
Why do some atheists think bits of scientific theories like the static universe theory or Social Darwinism doesn't apply to them?

In answering that, so will you find your answer.

I mean most atheists are more than happy to just blindly accept the big bang theory, and I do mean blindly. Like if you were to tell a blind man that what he was sucking on was a lollipop when it reality it was your... yeah I mean that level of blindness.

Science is to you, what religion is to them, and philosophy makes you somewhere in the middle. Neither side likes the middleman.
10-03-2017, 04:09 AM
(10-03-2017 04:01 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Why do some atheists think bits of scientific theories like the static universe theory or Social Darwinism doesn't apply to them?

I mean most atheists are more than happy to just blindly accept the big bang theory, and I do mean blindly. Like if you were to tell a blind man that what he was sucking on was a lollipop when it reality it was your... yeah I mean that level of blindness.

Science is to you, what religion is to them, and philosophy makes you somewhere in the middle. Neither side likes the middleman.

You can't compare the two, science is ever changing where the OT is a book. Also we do not blindly accept the big bang theory, we accept it based on evidence.

The only blindness here is your blindness to common sense.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 7 users Like JDog554's post
10-03-2017, 04:17 AM
(10-03-2017 04:09 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 04:01 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Why do some atheists think bits of scientific theories like the static universe theory or Social Darwinism doesn't apply to them?

You can't compare the two, science is ever changing where the OT is a book. Also we do not blindly accept the big bang theory, we accept it based on evidence.

The only blindness here is your blindness to common sense.

No, no you don't. Don't, just don't Jdog, just stop, Jdog stop. It was cute the first time but not the next one hundred times.

Also if religion never changed, why are there so many religions? Why did we get the New Testament or god forbid Joseph Smith's new version. Why did the messianic period of judaism ever happen and get so mixed up and swirled together into one giant cauldron to create the mess that we call Christianity today.

No religion changes, just people don't like when a concept contradicts or goes against their own opinion. Just like adherents of science. Even though both will believe outlandish things even though there is a lack of evidence to support them, so long as it means they get to be part of the 'group'.

Groupies.
10-03-2017, 04:19 AM

That's called a strawman followed by a false equivalence.

Neither makes you look clever.

How about answering my question?

Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 4 users Like Silly Deity's post
10-03-2017, 04:24 AM
(10-03-2017 04:19 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  

That's called a strawman followed by a false equivalence.

No Silly Deity, they are similar, and stop it, just because you don't like something doesn't mean its not true. Humans react the same way to all negative outside influences that contradict their own opinions, 'atheists' or people of 'science' are no different.

Only with atheists you get a lot more 'smug' thanks to Richard Dawkins leaving an impression on an entire generation of young impressionable youths. Or from watching to much House.
10-03-2017, 05:07 AM
(10-03-2017 04:24 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 04:19 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  That's called a strawman followed by a false equivalence.

No Silly Deity, they are similar, and stop it, just because you don't like something doesn't mean its not true. Humans react the same way to all negative outside influences that contradict their own opinions, 'atheists' or people of 'science' are no different.

Only with atheists you get a lot more 'smug' thanks to Richard Dawkins leaving an impression on an entire generation of young impressionable youths. Or from watching to much House.

Well, you're a dipshit. Not only that, but you're a terribly unimaginative one too.

There is a large and very important distinction behind actual scientific theories, their ramifications and extrapolations (neither of your two examples were legit theories, they are hypothesis at best), and a supposedly divine directive from the creator of the universe dictating human behavior on Earth laid out in ancient text. But I think you know that already. You're not really so stupid as to not understand the distinction.

Unfortunately for you and your purposely contrarian shenanigans, you are nowhere close to being even half as clever as you think you are.

2/10 - Try Harder Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-03-2017, 05:37 AM
If something used to be moral but now isn't, then that smashes a hole in any "objective morality" they think God is providing. If he's changed his mind once, in his own book, why wouldn't he change it again?

Funnily enough I've been thinking of doing a video about science versus theology, and the "faith" involved in subscribing to each. I'll try and do that soon. The lack of understanding some people have about how science works is staggering.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
10-03-2017, 05:38 AM
Cause Paul

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-03-2017, 05:39 AM
(10-03-2017 04:24 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 04:19 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  That's called a strawman followed by a false equivalence.

Atheism is a lack of beliefs in a god or gods. That's it.

Don't start claiming your argument is not a strawman when it clearly is. I didn't make any statements or claims about science or the Big Bang Theory.

Religion and science are not equivalents. Religions are faith-based and are by definition irrational. Science is based on empirical evidence and reason.

Now, how about answering my question?

[+] 6 users Like Silly Deity's post