Why do christians think they are an oppressed minority?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Why do christians think they are an oppressed minority?
I'm sure you've seen it.

"We hold this parade to encourage Christians to stand up and not be afraid to speak out against evil!"

"We are gathered here today to make our presence known!"

ect ect ect.

Why?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2010, 01:29 AM
RE: Why do christians think they are an oppressed minority?
POWER, plain and simple.
01-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Because it sounds sexy, and because they need to get atention. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2010, 06:20 AM
The above, and the thought that the church/belief they subject themselves to are the "true" faith (or version of it) while everyone else are "wolves in sheep's clothing". As a house divided against itself, each individual unit might be a minority in their own eyes, who knows? Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2010, 08:54 AM
My middle school religion teacher said that in Islamic countries Christians are stalked because of their faith, so that makes them oppressed. Some want to make Christians look like victims. Of course individual Christians, who for some odd reasons live/come out in Islamic countries, are oppressed, but I don't see how Christians living in the western world are oppressed.

Maybe they're trying to get pity points?Undecided

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-12-2010, 10:12 AM

I agree with the prior observation. Power, plain and simple.

Christianity is foremost populace religion on earth. A faith that teaches everyone on earth is victim to and ever under siege by the Devil, it's part of the process to feel that people not of their faith are their enemies too.

Hell of a way to live. Then again, Christians seek salvation from the God that will otherwise damn them for the faults he created them to have, while omniscience saw it all coming. So, it's not surprising the most devout Christian feels closer to God when they feel they're special in the eyes of that power, and everyone else is damned for not being a member of the "Bound for Heaven" club.
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I think it is important to separate far-right evangelical Christians from moderate Christians. I'm no Christian, but I know a lot of good Christians who do good things and whose agendas are completely at odds with the far-right agenda. I think it's unfair and irresponsible to lump them into the same category.

As far as feeling like an oppressed minority, minority I don't buy, but I'll take 3 pounds of oppressed please. It's the Z Effect. A cultural group that perceives an external or internal threat experiences an increased migration of its membership from the centre of their belief spectrum to the extreeme positions in an effort to protect the cohesion and uniqueness of their society. So they become heightened versions of themselves and fight harder against the perceived threats. So they protest and lobby and fight harder.

So I agree with No. J, it is about power, but more specifically, it's about maintaining power that's already been accumulated and about obtaining greater power to better defend themselves from what they believe is a threat.

As far as standing up and speaking out, it's a show of force. It sends the message, "don't think you can tread on us with impunity."

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
01-12-2010, 10:37 AM

But do they do those good works because they're good people? Or do they do them because they believe their faith compels them to and they'll score points toward Heaven, for the effort?
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Hey, Gassy Kitten.

You frame it so that if I answer one way I invalidate the moral influence of Christianity and if I answer the other way I cast them as people whose altruism comes from a place of utter self-interest. So I won't answer the question based on that frame.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
01-12-2010, 12:02 PM
(01-12-2010 11:18 AM)Ghost Wrote:  You frame it so that if I answer one way I invalidate the moral influence of Christianity and if I answer the other way I cast them as people whose altruism comes from a place of utter self-interest.

Well that's what it boils down to now, doesn't it? I've read a few people saying, "If there is no such thing as God then I'd go crazy and just start killing and looting since there is no hell or whatever."

Now think about that for two seconds. Now I know it's drastic and most people who say that actually wouldn't because we have a system of secular laws and protection to keep that shit in check and they'd likely be done in before they could ever do real damage. But that's besides the point, the point is some people only keep on the leash because they've been brainwashed into believing that if they are good they will be rewarded, if there is no reward why bother being good, right?

It's hard not to wonder whether Christians (or any faith really) are actually good people ore just doing to win brownie points from their sky daddy. As soon as they have that incentive in place it's hard to validate them as good people without wondering if their faith is the only reason they did it.

When an Atheist holds a door for you or pulls you from walking into the street and getting hit by a car you know they're just helping you out. When a Christian does it, are they just helping you or are they thinking, "hey, this'll be my good deed for the day that'll get me through those pearly gates."

Slippery slopes man, slippery slopes.