Why do christians think they are an oppressed minority?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-12-2010, 08:28 AM
RE: Why do christians think they are an oppressed minority?
[Image: 24863_10100143337956505_12425788_55013999_3560887_n.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2010, 09:22 AM
(06-12-2010 08:28 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  [Image: 24863_10100143337956505_12425788_55013999_3560887_n.jpg]

From http://www.atheistinfundyland.com/ ?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
06-12-2010, 04:35 PM
I have not read the entire thread here, so this may have been covered already. But many Christians think they're oppressed because they're taught to think they're oppressed. Jesus told his followers they'd be persecuted for their beliefs. That's why it's so difficult to argue with many of them. Even if you attack (and I use that word lightly) their beliefs on logical and rational levels, it only serves to reinforce their belief that they are right, because the attack or question itself is "proof" that they're right. Never mind what the argument actually is.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
06-12-2010, 07:25 PM
BTW the Quran has the exact same passage of persecution as does the Book of Mormon. It's a religious staple.
06-12-2010, 07:34 PM

I would make the observation that Monotheism itself invites the persecution complex. Any time a community of people accept/believe there is only one creative power responsible for bringing into existence all that exists and that there is only one way to believe in that power, worship it and make one's self subservient unto that system of beliefs, those believers are always going to feel superior to the rest of the worlds people that do not believe the same and as a consequence, persecuted by those who call their faith into question or refuse to convert unto it.

It's a circular illogical victim mentality.
Our belief is superior. Ergo, all other beliefs are inferior.

Ergo, those who feel superior are going to feel persecuted because people are jealous, envious, or unworthy of being equal. Many Christians feel oppressed because they're egotists who feel superior because what they believe is God, loves them best.
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
It is also:
1. an effective way to get sympathy.
2. a good counter attack.
3. an excellent dodge.
4. a way to avoid listening to opposing arguements.
06-12-2010, 10:06 PM
It's also a way to instill courage into someone to speak out. It's a fallacy of appealing to the audience a fair bit in Christianity's (and Islam's) case but I think it's how pastors got their churches mobalized to enter politics.

How often do we hear of church leaders (I freely admit the Catholic church is to some degree less so guilty) talk of how America is no longer a Christian nation and how the people of the church need to rise up and go out and make their voice heard.

It is of course total nonsense since the Christian voice is indeed very loud and clear in both the senate and the house and the name of god is both in the pledge and on the money. However it is a great way to get people to act is in fear of change. If you can convince a mother it's baby is in trouble there's almost nothing she won't do.

Of course anyone familiar with US history can tell you this was never founded as a Christian nation. Shhh don't let the Texas board of education find that one out.

Thank goodness I'm Canadian.
07-12-2010, 12:07 AM
I heard fundies started spreading in Canada Sad

I think that most Christians love playing victim , it gives a false messianic impression.
I'm a martyr like Jesus ... look at me ... I am being oppressed.
It's ridiculous but at the same time it's a good tactic at stopping doubt.
07-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Quote:From http://www.atheistinfundyland.com/ ?

No, sadly I saw it on a friend's.... ahem... facebook.

Interesting looking site though. Should I check it out rather than just skim it?

Quote:It's a circular illogical victim mentality.
Our belief is superior. Ergo, all other beliefs are inferior.

Circular logic is the driving force behind all theistic "proof." After all, if you can't disprove it, it must be true.

Kudos for using the word "ergo"

[Image: 68wvbn.png]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
12-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Christsinternet.com seems to be a source of the problem.