Why do christians think they are an oppressed minority?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-12-2010, 04:46 PM
RE: Why do christians think they are an oppressed minority?
It´s because of that whole "your insulting my religion" thing, isn't it? Their thresholds for being insulted or feeling persecuted is just set to low. Or maybe it's their collective memory of being persecuted in the past that makes them extra jumpy?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2010, 06:11 PM

It seems so easy to blow off faith once you've already confirmed for yourself that its not somthing you find credible. I somehow hold this sincere doubt that all those christians in the world are thinking 'POWER' when they state that they feel as though they are being opressed/repressed. I don't buy it. Maybe its because, hey, they ACTUALLY have a legitimate feeling of opression. :O.

Quote:
It's hard not to wonder whether Christians (or any faith really) are actually good people ore just doing to win brownie points from their sky daddy. As soon as they have that incentive in place it's hard to validate them as good people without wondering if their faith is the only reason they did it.

When an Atheist holds a door for you or pulls you from walking into the street and getting hit by a car you know they're just helping you out. When a Christian does it, are they just helping you or are they thinking, "hey, this'll be my good deed for the day that'll get me through those pearly gates."

-------------

Sure seems like that doesent it? Some times? Most of the people I know are dead set christians, and they are some of the kindest, smartest, and most 'real' people I have ever had the good fortune of meeting, So somehow I think they're a bit more human, after all, the human social instinct has to count for somthing.
Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2010, 06:33 PM
(14-12-2010 06:11 PM)The World Is Flat Wrote:  I somehow hold this sincere doubt that all those christians in the world are thinking 'POWER' when they state that they feel as though they are being opressed/repressed. I don't buy it. Maybe its because, hey, they ACTUALLY have a legitimate feeling of opression. :O.

Many of them likely do. It's an unwarranted feeling of oppression, yes, but I don't think you'll find anyone here who denies that there are Christians out there who genuinely feel oppressed.

The thing that I think the others were commenting on were the official "faces of Christianity". That might be someone who is a church official who genuinely is grasping at power or a politician trying to win votes by falsely claiming that he stands on the mountaintop, defending the Bible from ravenous hordes of atheists.

Other than that, I agree with your post. I just think you missed the others' points a little bit.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
14-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Christianity is built on oppression and suffering. It's one of the reasons for it's success, matching the situation most people find themselves in. Ironic tho' that it's dominance is rooted in the extreme oppression following it's adoption into politics in the 3rd Century.

I guess we all have an instinct almost to defend our opinions. I'm for everyone having the right to hold their own opinion. Like the Irish monk said who opposed heresy: you can't remove the choice to believe what you want if to believe is to act on a choice.

The nicest people I know aren't Christians. In fact some Christians are the worst people I know. All that differentiates them is their stated aim.
15-12-2010, 02:04 AM
The main reasons for christianity's success are;
1. Emporor Constantine became a christian because if he repented he could get away with doing anything he wanted.
2. Emporor Constantine legalized christianity in Rome and used christianity to further his power.
3. Christian leaders that supported Constantine and Rome where greatly rewarded with new churches and money.
4. The christians went on rampages and destroyed pagan temples, killed pagan clergy and gave many pagans a choice between converting to christianity or a fate of torture and or death. They destroyed the competition.
5. Christianity grew in power because they destroyed the opposition and took control where ever they could, murdering anyone they wanted to in their lust for power and wealth.

I have posted this link before, but fr0d0 is going to tell me that I am full of crap, so

http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm
15-12-2010, 04:53 AM
You think me posting the same thing as you is me disagreeing with you NoJ? How strange. Those rose tinted glasses of yours are working too well.

But what is the root cause? Were those act committed by Christians "Christian" by your understanding of what it is to be Christian?
16-12-2010, 01:46 AM
I don't remember you posting the same link as I just posted above. I don't read most of your posts anymore. I am frequently astonished and dismayed by your, ah... reasoning. I gave up on you a long time ago.
16-12-2010, 12:54 PM
What do you mean 'anymore'? You're so blinkered you only want to hear what you think repeated back at you.
17-12-2010, 12:45 AM
People like you have more to do with me becoming an atheist that science did. After hearing and reading the shit that people like you make up I realized that you (collectively) where extremely devoid of answers that mirrored the real world and full of constructs that showed absolutely no commonality with the real world or other of your own constructs. Your ability to understand what any of us have said to you on this form is, as far as I can tell, non-existant, which seems to match your grasp of reality. You have confirmed for me that theists are very dangerous because they believe they know everything when they don't really know anything.
Because of you, I am stepping up my effort to make my views known so I can do more to reduce the amount of believers in this world. I am sure others in this form feel the same way that I do.

P.S. You are more full of crap than all the used car salesmen in the ten largest states. I am sick of your bullshit.
17-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Would you like to discuss anything NoJ or is that it? We agree yet I'm full of bullshit? Are you saying you're full of bullshit?