Why do democrats hate voter ID laws so much?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 10:49 AM
RE: Why do democrats hate voter ID laws so much?
(18-04-2012 08:34 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Fair enough.

I think a provisional driver's licence only 2 years here and is about £50 (about $80).
Its 10 years they last. Unless they changed how long they last since i got mine.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 10:50 AM
(18-04-2012 08:40 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Do you not have to register to vote over there?
You do but you can show up to the polls with no ID and vote. So you could walk into a poll in some states and claim you were someone else and cast a vote in their name. Republcans, especially in southern states, have attempted to pass voted ID laws requiring it and always get blasted by Democrats for it. They claim the Republicans just don't want poor people to vote and Republicans claim Dems only want illegal immigrants to be able to vote.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-04-2012, 10:53 AM
(18-04-2012 10:49 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 08:34 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Fair enough.

I think a provisional driver's licence only 2 years here and is about £50 (about $80).
Its 10 years they last. Unless they changed how long they last since i got mine.
Ah ok. I just remember someone telling me that they last 2 years.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
18-04-2012, 12:19 PM
There's no reason other than a hyped fear for the laws to be pushed. It's a movement rising to restrict the vote count. If it isn't a law being made mandatory. Why should anyone ought to have an ID? Fundamentally it shouldn't require any cost for a US citizen to enact his right to vote.

People talk about money for the ID not being an issue, but it is also about time.

To register to vote in my state, I went to town hall, filled a short form and just needed my social security number known to qualify. A less than 5 minute scenario. To get a Drivers License or State ID, I would have to go to the DMV which usually run just during common work hours of 8-5.

If they want to adjust voting rules, change the Tuesday rule with it. It is irrelevant these days and most people have no clue why it exists. It was so Monday could be a travel day to get to the polls when that was necessary. Early voting exists in places and I use it, but not everyone has the option or knows of it enough.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-04-2012, 01:10 PM
(18-04-2012 08:03 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I don't understand this. Anyone of age and legal to vote should have some form of ID. Therefore, anyone without an ID is potentially not eligable to vote.
Remember that whole homelessness issue on the other thread? Yeah, thats why left wingers are opposed to voter ID's

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2012, 01:27 PM
So what's keeping people from voting twice now in a US election?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
18-04-2012, 02:40 PM
In my county you both do and don't need ID. I say that as you can walk in, give your name (something else happens that I'll mention later) and you're good to go. HOWEVER, if no one at the table (there's 4-5 people) don't know you, they kind of "reserve the right" to ask for ID.

The "something else happens" is one interesting thing though--the county clerk has the signature of all registered voters, to vote you have to sign a paper saying "something". One of the people "discretely" (if you don't look you'd miss it) checks your signature with the signature of the person you said you were. So really, you "show ID" in a signature, and somewhat because the people learn who you are.
18-04-2012, 02:57 PM
(18-04-2012 01:27 PM)Caveman Wrote:  So what's keeping people from voting twice now in a US election?
Depends on the state but nothing is stopping them as long as they use a name that they know is on the registry. In a state where Jim lives in one location and Bob lives in another, and you don't have to show ID, Jim can vote as Jim then go to Bob's polling station, claim to be Bob, and vote for who Jim wants.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-04-2012, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 05:28 PM by ClydeLee.)
I know there's been some reports of some dozens of phony registered names, but has there been any noticed cases of legit voter fraud being applied?

If there was a group or select few or really wanted to try and rig an election.. They could use fake IDs. That's elaborate but so is having awareness of the names of registered voters unlikely to vote. I know that is a weak argument; it just goes in hand with how this fear of voter fraud is rare.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-04-2012, 05:12 PM
The bigger question is why do republicans even care? Voter fraud isn't a huge problem....

They are a sexist, racist, religious party and their only interest in this policy is in making sure to keep the non-white male voter population as low as possible.