Why do democrats hate voter ID laws so much?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 05:53 PM by germanyt.)
RE: Why do democrats hate voter ID laws so much?
(18-04-2012 05:12 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  The bigger question is why do republicans even care? Voter fraud isn't a huge problem....

They are a sexist, racist, religious party and their only interest in this policy is in making sure to keep the non-white male voter population as low as possible.

[Image: conspiracy-keanu-reeves-meme-7.jpg]

(18-04-2012 03:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I know there's been some reports of some dozens of phony registered names, but has there been any noticed cases of legit voter fraud being applied?

If there was a group or select few or really wanted to try and rig an election.. They could use fake IDs. That's elaborate but so is having awareness of the names of registered voters unlikely to vote. I know that is a weak argument; it just goes in hand with how this fear of voter fraud is rare.
Well. There were some pretty legitimate accusations concerning Acorn and Obama. And some legit ones involving the RNC and Ron Paul. I'm can't confirm but it's appears probable.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 07:51 PM
germanyt, it is because voter id laws are unconstitutional. The Civil Rights acts of 1957 and 1960 made it illegal to have any indirect poll taxes. IDs cost money, therefore it is an indirect poll tax.

Under Repair.
[+] 2 users Like itsacow's post
18-04-2012, 08:49 PM
(18-04-2012 07:51 PM)itsacow Wrote:  germanyt, it is because voter id laws are unconstitutional. The Civil Rights acts of 1957 and 1960 made it illegal to have any indirect poll taxes. IDs cost money, therefore it is an indirect poll tax.
The 9th circuit court of appeals just today upheld Arizona's voter ID law. And I don't know about other states but in Louisiana you have to show an ID to vote.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-04-2012, 09:30 PM
(18-04-2012 08:49 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 07:51 PM)itsacow Wrote:  germanyt, it is because voter id laws are unconstitutional. The Civil Rights acts of 1957 and 1960 made it illegal to have any indirect poll taxes. IDs cost money, therefore it is an indirect poll tax.
The 9th circuit court of appeals just today upheld Arizona's voter ID law. And I don't know about other states but in Louisiana you have to show an ID to vote.
It is Arizona.. what do you expect? Smile

Under Repair.
19-04-2012, 01:33 AM
(18-04-2012 02:57 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 01:27 PM)Caveman Wrote:  So what's keeping people from voting twice now in a US election?
Depends on the state but nothing is stopping them as long as they use a name that they know is on the registry. In a state where Jim lives in one location and Bob lives in another, and you don't have to show ID, Jim can vote as Jim then go to Bob's polling station, claim to be Bob, and vote for who Jim wants.

That's what we call a pretty big bug in systemdesign...

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
19-04-2012, 05:45 AM
(18-04-2012 05:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Well. There were some pretty legitimate accusations concerning Acorn and Obama. And some legit ones involving the RNC and Ron Paul. I'm can't confirm but it's appears probable.
I'm aware of the Acorn situation that happened...but if they are a group that is looking to deliberately scam the voting system in the way Glenn Beck or O'Riley talk about them, there's no reason that they can't make fake ID's to enact fraud.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-04-2012, 08:27 AM
(18-04-2012 08:03 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I don't understand this. Anyone of age and legal to vote should have some form of ID. Therefore, anyone without an ID is potentially not eligable to vote.
This thread is evidence that people do not think through all aspects of an issue. And it isn't just posted to understand the issue. The phrasing germanyt has used shows his assumptions and opinion, and it pisses me off.

There are so many reasons that mandated voter ID is an issue. Historically, voter laws have been used to mitigate minority votes. Passing restrictive voting laws sets a precedence for government involvement in the court system. Not all citizens have access to ID facilities (such as the homeless population). Not to mention the connotations of having to register with the government your personal data. And these are just a few aspects of the larger picture here.

I think if this issue was looked at from different points of view and the possible repercussions it implies, there would be a different tone to the argument. Oh, and if we are going to talk about which party is pushy for it, let's ask ourselves what the motivation is for the Republicans to push this legislation. They are the ones with records of voter fraud, all the way up to presidential races (I'm looking at you, Florida). Why would they be asking for tighter voting codes now? Maybe to stop poor minorities from voting for a democrat again...
19-04-2012, 09:42 AM
(19-04-2012 08:27 AM)arbmouser Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 08:03 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I don't understand this. Anyone of age and legal to vote should have some form of ID. Therefore, anyone without an ID is potentially not eligable to vote.
This thread is evidence that people do not think through all aspects of an issue. And it isn't just posted to understand the issue. The phrasing germanyt has used shows his assumptions and opinion, and it pisses me off.

There are so many reasons that mandated voter ID is an issue. Historically, voter laws have been used to mitigate minority votes. Passing restrictive voting laws sets a precedence for government involvement in the court system. Not all citizens have access to ID facilities (such as the homeless population). Not to mention the connotations of having to register with the government your personal data. And these are just a few aspects of the larger picture here.

I think if this issue was looked at from different points of view and the possible repercussions it implies, there would be a different tone to the argument. Oh, and if we are going to talk about which party is pushy for it, let's ask ourselves what the motivation is for the Republicans to push this legislation. They are the ones with records of voter fraud, all the way up to presidential races (I'm looking at you, Florida). Why would they be asking for tighter voting codes now? Maybe to stop poor minorities from voting for a democrat again...
The Republican reason for voter ID laws is irrelevant. In reality there are people who commit voter fraud because there is no way of knowing if the person voting is really the person registered. And at least a few states have voter ID laws that have been challenged and upheld by federal courts.

-Mark Twain
19-04-2012, 12:54 PM
(19-04-2012 09:42 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(19-04-2012 08:27 AM)arbmouser Wrote:  This thread is evidence that people do not think through all aspects of an issue. And it isn't just posted to understand the issue. The phrasing germanyt has used shows his assumptions and opinion, and it pisses me off.

The Republican reason for voter ID laws is irrelevant. In reality there are people who commit voter fraud because there is no way of knowing if the person voting is really the person registered. And at least a few states have voter ID laws that have been challenged and upheld by federal courts.
The reason entirely matters. Whoever is trying to change laws in states ought to have their reason assessed.

Maintaining that someone show a matching ID to vote doesn't eliminate fraud. You still could cheat the system if that was your mission and the person checking IDs at the polling location doesn't definitely know if that's the person registered, ID or not.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-04-2012, 03:27 PM
(18-04-2012 09:14 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think it's more of an artifact of our US history when minorities were refused access to polling places. (Particularly in the South).
The Democrats like to think themselves the defenders of the disenfranchised so they probably get a lot of play by telling their poor constituents that The Man still wants to keep them down by adding requirements to make it "difficult" (not really) to vote, and thus truly become disenfranchised.

I should think that a White Louisanian would be aware of those sort of shenanigans. Tongue
This. It is a smart and lucrative political tactic, but nothing more.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab