Why do democrats hate voter ID laws so much?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Why do democrats hate voter ID laws so much?
I don't understand this. Anyone of age and legal to vote should have some form of ID. Therefore, anyone without an ID is potentially not eligable to vote.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 08:10 AM
RE: Why do democrats hate voter ID laws so much?
I don't know about over there, but it costs money to get an ID here (passport or whatever).
Some people just won't have the spare cash after paying for the essentials.

I haven't been able to get a passport because it costs too much. I am just a poor student. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
18-04-2012, 08:20 AM
(18-04-2012 08:10 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I don't know about over there, but it costs money to get an ID here (passport or whatever).
Some people just won't have the spare cash after paying for the essentials.

I haven't been able to get a passport because it costs too much. I am just a poor student. Tongue

It does cost but initial IDs or drivers liscenses are usually only around 30 dollars and they're good for 4 years. Renewals are like 20 bucks. The price of gas would have far more impact on the poor getting to the polls than the price of an ID.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I completely agree that every citizen should have a picture ID.
I would even go so far as to say that everyone should have it on them at all times. (starting at a certain age) It's mandatory in a lot of countries, like here in The Netherlands.
If it's equipped with computerchips, like in Belgium, you can also use it to file tax returns and do use other governmental services online from home. This way, less people have to be in federal employ.
It's also a great way to support the census.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
18-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Fair enough.

I think a provisional driver's licence only 2 years here and is about £50 (about $80).

18-04-2012, 08:39 AM
(18-04-2012 08:32 AM)Caveman Wrote:  I completely agree that every citizen should have a picture ID.
I would even go so far as to say that everyone should have it on them at all times. (starting at a certain age) It's mandatory in a lot of countries, like here in The Netherlands.
If it's equipped with computerchips, like in Belgium, you can also use it to file tax returns and do use other governmental services online from home. This way, less people have to be in federal employ.
I'm kinda on the fence about mandatory IDs. On one hand I think every person over 18 should be able to prove to a law enforcement officer who they are. On the other hand I think you should have the right to tell a cop to fuck off if he doesn't have a warrant. Either way, if you want to vote IMO you should be required to show ID. It's the only way to ensure the integrity of our voting system.

-Mark Twain
18-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Do you not have to register to vote over there?

18-04-2012, 08:44 AM
(18-04-2012 08:39 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 08:32 AM)Caveman Wrote:  I completely agree that every citizen should have a picture ID.
I'm kinda on the fence about mandatory IDs. On one hand I think every person over 18 should be able to prove to a law enforcement officer who they are. On the other hand I think you should have the right to tell a cop to fuck off if he doesn't have a warrant. Either way, if you want to vote IMO you should be required to show ID. It's the only way to ensure the integrity of our voting system.

Oh absolutely! If there are no grounds to question you a cop shouldn't be allowed to ak for it. We watch the watchmen!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
18-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I think it's more of an artifact of our US history when minorities were refused access to polling places. (Particularly in the South).
The Democrats like to think themselves the defenders of the disenfranchised so they probably get a lot of play by telling their poor constituents that The Man still wants to keep them down by adding requirements to make it "difficult" (not really) to vote, and thus truly become disenfranchised.

I should think that a White Louisanian would be aware of those sort of shenanigans. Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
18-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Find it strange too that it is being opposed so much. Then think it could stem from two very negative factors.
1. People simply just do not want to do their jobs. For example, went in a convience store not that long ago to get my hubby a pack of cigarettes while I was running errands. The woman did not even card me. I know I am not a young budding teenager any more, but is it not required by law in most places? I know it is where I live. They even have a sign on their window stating:We ID Tobacco purchases! I see that sign now and want to laugh every time.
2. Maybe like any politician....they want to win votes? If they are not going to card or have people present their voting id...or registration card. Anyone could vote right? Just being hypothetical, so do not take my words as legitamit.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.