Why do forums exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 12:28 AM
RE: Why do forums exist?
Sheesh, there's a lot of aggression in our little world today! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2012, 02:03 AM
You guys derailed the thread, Zat will not be happy- especially since this thread is all about what's the point. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
28-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Imo, I feel it's the need in all of us for that sense of belonging.
I like the exchange of ideas and information whilst learning at the same time and also making new friends.
It is difficult sometimes over the net as you don't know what 'tone' people are using and therefore it's inevitable that arguments will happen but all-in-all it works pretty well Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
28-02-2012, 02:55 AM
(28-02-2012 02:03 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  You guys derailed the thread, Zat will not be happy- especially since this thread is all about what's the point. Big Grin

Good point, well made. Sorry.

Back to topic...
Why bother?
Cos the dialectic is the way we advance civilisation.

Nuff said!

29-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Actually, I was hoping to turn the thread into a discussion of communication skills, as I described the problems (as I see it) in the OP.

Is there any way to make people aware of this problem, of how frustrating it makes us when we feel as if we were not speaking the same language at all?

In the sciences, communication is (most of the time) very precise, purpose-driven, following a well understood pattern.

I sort of suspect that education is to blame -- students are not taught the basic skills for clear, precise and unambiguous communication.

So we carry this handicap with us through life: in our work, in our families and on forums like this.

So what do you think can be done about it, at least on a forum?

Is there any way to agree about the basic requirements needed for successful communication?
29-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Would you care to communicate to us any proposed solutions you may have to solving poor communication?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-02-2012, 09:53 AM
(29-02-2012 09:35 AM)Zat Wrote:  So what do you think can be done about it, at least on a forum?

Is there any way to agree about the basic requirements needed for successful communication?

When I took communications in college, way back in the last century, we were taught that something along the order of 70 or 80% of communication occurs through non-verbal cues (don't crucify me on the stats, that's what I think I remember from 25 years ago).

So unless there is a way to have fora (Tongue) meet through a Star Trek Holo-deck, I'm not sure we can ever reach the basic requirements needed for successful communication through text alone.

It is why emoticons are important and perhaps we need more. But even those would convey different things to different people. Undecided

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-02-2012, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 10:07 AM by Zat.)
(29-02-2012 09:41 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Would you care to communicate to us any proposed solutions you may have to solving poor communication?

No problem.

Zatamon’s 10 ‘Commandments’ Tongue for clear and useful communication

1. Read every line in every post of the thread before replying -- don't just scan.

2. If something is unclear, ask questions/definitions before jumping to conclusions.

3. Don’t put words never said into the mouth of the person you are replying to and NEVER alter a quote

4. Don’t let trigger words with bad association (for you) divert you from what was actually said

5. Make sure you use logic in a clear, unbroken line, leading from premises to conclusions

6. Give yourself time to THINK it over, before flying off the handle

7. Look at all the pros and cons of the issue, from as many different angles as you can

8. Make sure you research the facts your reply is based on

9. Provide evidence (if available)

10. Most important: State what you DO agree with (and why), as well as what you don’t agree with (and why).
29-02-2012, 11:00 AM
(29-02-2012 10:02 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 09:41 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Would you care to communicate to us any proposed solutions you may have to solving poor communication?

No problem.

Zatamon’s 10 ‘Commandments’ Tongue for clear and useful communication

1. Read every line in every post of the thread before replying -- don't just scan.

2. If something is unclear, ask questions/definitions before jumping to conclusions.

3. Don’t put words never said into the mouth of the person you are replying to and NEVER alter a quote

4. Don’t let trigger words with bad association (for you) divert you from what was actually said

5. Make sure you use logic in a clear, unbroken line, leading from premises to conclusions

6. Give yourself time to THINK it over, before flying off the handle

7. Look at all the pros and cons of the issue, from as many different angles as you can

8. Make sure you research the facts your reply is based on

9. Provide evidence (if available)

10. Most important: State what you DO agree with (and why), as well as what you don’t agree with (and why).

BULLSHIT! WHAT! How DARE you!!!!!!!

Oh sorry, I didn't read what you said.

HoC, please note number 5.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I LOVE the idea of this, but...

(29-02-2012 10:02 AM)Zat Wrote:  1. Read every line in every post of the thread before replying -- don't just scan.

I already fail.

I would read a thread a week if I had to abide by this rule. Sad

It's not that EVERY thread I do this, but sometimes threads are so long or SUCH a wall that it takes me extra time to sort it out, especially with a reading disability.

Also, sometimes I don't want to lose my train of thought from a word or idea (like previously mentioned by someone) so I bee-line to the reply to make the point I thought of to add. How do we deal with that? Write as we go? I'm totally guilt of that, it was really evident to me in Shannow's first illustration, I created a whole other tangent instead of going with where the current thread was headed.

And did I break rule 3, too? Never alter a quote? Or does that mean don't replace/reassemble words?

I actually quite like this set of communication skills, I think I might try to at least *improve* myself (not so sure I can uphold completely all the time though, to be honest).
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post