Why do forums exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 12:50 PM
RE: Why do forums exist?
I just wish there weren't 10.
Reminds me too much of the 10 Commandments and I already know those are impossible to keep. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I just have two rules

1: be polite
2: One does not simply leave an argument (in other words, if you entered a thread, you keep up with it)

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
29-02-2012, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 01:38 PM by Zat.)
Just for Erxomai (so there wouldn't be 10):

#11 -- Admit it when you realize that you were wrong, made a mistake or were unfair to someone. This may be the hardest for most people, but it is absolutely essential if we want to get anywhere with talking to each other.

(29-02-2012 12:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  2: One does not simply leave an argument (in other words, if you entered a thread, you keep up with it)

nach_in, I know what you mean. It is very frustrating when you make up a post with all your arguments researched, laid out and the other side just tiptoes away without a word.

On the other hand, it is perfectly all right to state clearly that, in your opinion, there is no point to continue the discussion for reasons of irreconcilable differences and stop arguing, agreeing to disagree. In extreme cases, you may even decide to put the other side into your ignore list if you find your opponent beyond any hope to be rational and honest in the conversation. As long as you clearly state your reasons, you are within your right to terminate an argument or even a relationship.
29-02-2012, 01:17 PM
(29-02-2012 01:01 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 12:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  2: One does not simply leave an argument (in other words, if you entered a thread, you keep up with it)

nach_in, I know what you mean. It is very frustrating when you make up a post with all your arguments researched, laid out and the other side just tiptoes away without a word.

On the other hand, it is perfectly all right to state clearly that, in your opinion, there is no point to continue the discussion for reasons of irreconcilable differences and stop arguing, agreeing to disagree. In extreme cases, you may even decide to put the other side into your ignore list if you find your opponent beyond any hope to be rational and honest in the conversation. As long as you clearly state your reasons, you are within your right to terminate an argument or even a relationship.

True words, but what you say is finishing an argument, not leaving it, even if it finishes badly it's ended. Otherwise we could end up in infint arguments or loops, we would en up divifing by 0 and the world would come to an end.
We don't want that Confused

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
29-02-2012, 04:08 PM
(29-02-2012 10:02 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 09:41 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Would you care to communicate to us any proposed solutions you may have to solving poor communication?

No problem.

Zatamon’s 10 ‘Commandments’ Tongue for clear and useful communication

1. Read every line in every post of the thread before replying -- don't just scan.

2. If something is unclear, ask questions/definitions before jumping to conclusions.

3. Don’t put words never said into the mouth of the person you are replying to and NEVER alter a quote

4. Don’t let trigger words with bad association (for you) divert you from what was actually said

5. Make sure you use logic in a clear, unbroken line, leading from premises to conclusions

6. Give yourself time to THINK it over, before flying off the handle

7. Look at all the pros and cons of the issue, from as many different angles as you can

8. Make sure you research the facts your reply is based on

9. Provide evidence (if available)

10. Most important: State what you DO agree with (and why), as well as what you don’t agree with (and why).

This sounds like logical and lateral thinking to me. I'm not sure if most peoples brain's are wired like that. Good in theory tho Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
29-02-2012, 04:52 PM
When I started this thread, I just wanted to vent some frustration.

After Stark challenged me to make my suggestions, it occurred to me that this thread could be a good collection for communication peeves and suggestions by as many people as possible.

However the thread title is wrong and misleading.

I wonder if one of the mods could change the thread title to "Communication Peeves and Suggestions"?
29-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Good in theory, but I'll be perfectly honest...if a person has rules that complex for conversing with them, I won't bother. Plus if a person responds to something, has no questions directed at me, and I have no questions for them, I don't reply. In fact if I don't reply, it doesn't mean I "tiptoed away", it means that your ideas were made clear, and I have nothing more to say. Period.

I have an effective communication suggestion: If you have something to say, then say it. There's nothing wrong with asking others opinions on things, but I don't like seeing posts where a question is posed, and yet the OP doesn't share their own opinion on the matter. It comes across as passive agressive, and kinda "sneaky" for lack of a better word.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Let me see: too lateral? too logical? too complex?

Seems just common sense to me!

But, maybe my common-sense brain is wired differently! Big Grin
29-02-2012, 05:03 PM
I think too complex. I actually really like your logic, but to me if I were to follow those suggestions I would feel kind of robotic. What I like best about forums is that they can be casual. So I guess it's the formality that those rules would bring that I wouldn't like.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-02-2012, 05:18 PM
(29-02-2012 04:59 PM)Zat Wrote:  Let me see: too lateral? too logical? too complex?

Seems just common sense to me!

But, maybe my common-sense brain is wired differently! Big Grin

I can see where you're coming from and, yes, your common-sense brain is definitely wired differently to others (being a physicist) but that can be a good (mostly good, mostly good) and bad thing. If conversing with like-minded people you won't have a problem but with others that aren't as logical/lateral you will definitely run into problems (as demonstrated on this forum).
Your intentions are noble but the general population is not as 'structured' as you seem to be.
Hope I'm making (logical, lateral, common) sense Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)