Why do forums exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 05:29 PM
RE: Why do forums exist?
(29-02-2012 05:03 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So I guess it's the formality that those rules would bring that I wouldn't like.

I NEVER meant them to be rules to be rigidly followed.

They were suggestions (most of them should be automatic skill acquired during growing up) -- I tried to think of ways of debating that avoids misunderstanding, frustration, going around in circles, accusations and counter-accusations that often make up a debate on forums like this.

If this kind of informality is enjoyable for most, then my brain is definitely wired differently.

On the other hand, if others experience this kind of frustrations during debates then, maybe, it could be aired on this thread and talked about.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 05:31 PM
(29-02-2012 11:53 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Also, sometimes I don't want to lose my train of thought from a word or idea (like previously mentioned by someone) so I bee-line to the reply to make the point I thought of to add. How do we deal with that? Write as we go? I'm totally guilt of that, it was really evident to me in Shannow's first illustration, I created a whole other tangent instead of going with where the current thread was headed.

One thing I do sometimes that helps is to middle click on the "reply" button when I want to quote someone to open the reply in a new tab... then I just jump over and make some notes and then jump back to the conversation. That way I don't forget the point I wanted to make as I continue to read, but if someone already made the point before me I don't have to repost it.

I really don't do this enough though...
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
29-02-2012, 05:37 PM
(29-02-2012 05:31 PM)kineo Wrote:  ... then I just jump over and make some notes and then jump back to the conversation.

I almost always compose my post (unless it is a very short one) in a separate Word document, copy in everything I need from all the sources I want to present and, when I am satisfied that my post is complete, then I submit it.

This has many advantages:

- If something goes wrong with the forum, I don't lose a long, carefully constructed post
- I have a chance to review, correct, streamline it at my leisure
- I can save it for myself for later reference
- It gives me some distance from emotionally charged subjects so I can be as reasonable as I know how to be.
[+] 2 users Like Zat's post
29-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Those are excellent ideas, and I find that I don't think of them until I've already lost the work of a long post that fails to transmit and I can't get it back. Big Grin
29-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Does this forum really exist? Or is it all in your head?

Zero's and One's dressed up to look pretty!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
29-02-2012, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 07:00 PM by Zat.)
No, it doesn't! Sad

So far it is only humans and more humans, dressed up as confusion, misunderstanding and going around in circles, seldom reaching a consensus and/or solving problems! Big Grin

As I said: if you like it that way -- more power to you! Tongue

PS.

Yours are the Zeros and mine are the Ones and mine are prettier! Big Grin
29-02-2012, 06:03 PM
(29-02-2012 05:31 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 11:53 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Also, sometimes I don't want to lose my train of thought from a word or idea (like previously mentioned by someone) so I bee-line to the reply to make the point I thought of to add. How do we deal with that? Write as we go? I'm totally guilt of that, it was really evident to me in Shannow's first illustration, I created a whole other tangent instead of going with where the current thread was headed.

One thing I do sometimes that helps is to middle click on the "reply" button when I want to quote someone to open the reply in a new tab... then I just jump over and make some notes and then jump back to the conversation. That way I don't forget the point I wanted to make as I continue to read, but if someone already made the point before me I don't have to repost it.

I really don't do this enough though...

Thank you! I will have to try this, it's a good idea. Doesn't work so much when I'm on the mobile (like right now) but that is fine, I could always multi quote to 'remember'.

So would the opposite of a formal, stuctured communicater be an abstract one? And are there commandments for that genre, because that might help illustrate the difference and emphasize the formal one more.
29-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't know what you're talking about Zat, I've solved it! So the forum does have a point. Well at least it did... and then I solved it. Now it doesn't have a point. Confused
29-02-2012, 06:12 PM
(29-02-2012 05:53 PM)Zat Wrote:  No, it doesn't! Sad

So far it is only humans and more humans, dressed up as confusion, misunderstanding and going around in circles, seldom reaching a consensus and/or solving problems! Big Grin

As I said: if you like it that way -- more power to you! Tongue

Even in this mumble jumble of communication I still 'get' things and learn and grow from the circles and non- consensus. *I* take something away from it, even if we didn't all as a group together, you know?

Often in therapy a therapist will never know what thing they said or did helped specifically, but as long as it was a positive experience for their client then they 'got' something from it and can go further in life. The two could have seen the whole session completely different even though they were both there. (I reference this because it's something I learned about communication when I was in school, not because this has anything to do with therapy).

What problems need to be solved? Problems of the world, individual, TTA?
29-02-2012, 07:04 PM
(29-02-2012 06:12 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  What problems need to be solved? Problems of the world, individual, TTA?

All of the above!

Human communication problems are not restricted to forums.

Why do you think the world (and many people's private lives) are in such a mess? Huh