Why do people believe corporate tax cuts will create jobs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2017, 08:02 PM
I really can't wrap my brain around it. There is little proof that corporate tax cuts will create jobs.

Huge businesses already have record profits, huge amounts of cash, they could easily hire people RIGHT NOW. Yes, cutting their taxes will give the companies more money...but they already have money they can use for hiring! And they outsource because 1. they can 2. it's way cheaper. Tax cuts will not change this.

And since businesses run on supply and demand, wouldn't cutting taxes of the poorest and middle classes be the way to go? After all, en masse, we have more collective buying power. More money in our (lower/middle class) pockets means more goods are consumed, meaning more jobs. Right? Am I crazy?

I don't understand why the average Joe thinks a 20% corporate tax rate will help them.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
14-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Maybe people believe it cause they're told so? It's not outside realm of possibility I guess.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
15-11-2017, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2017 03:21 AM by ELK12695.)
RE: Why do people believe corporate tax cuts will create jobs?
(14-11-2017 08:02 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I really can't wrap my brain around it. There is little proof that corporate tax cuts will create jobs.

Huge businesses already have record profits, huge amounts of cash, they could easily hire people RIGHT NOW. Yes, cutting their taxes will give the companies more money...but they already have money they can use for hiring! And they outsource because 1. they can 2. it's way cheaper. Tax cuts will not change this.

And since businesses run on supply and demand, wouldn't cutting taxes of the poorest and middle classes be the way to go? After all, en masse, we have more collective buying power. More money in our (lower/middle class) pockets means more goods are consumed, meaning more jobs. Right? Am I crazy?

I don't understand why the average Joe thinks a 20% corporate tax rate will help them.

Because the people who believe that stuff aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Right-wing parties love to portray taxes as something evil; the government involving themselves into everything, which would be a neat thing to say other than the fact that the government does *everything* for you. They build your roads, they heal your injuries, they maintain your safety, and so on. However, the parties love to preach about how the free-market is basically Jesus; a sacred force that saves everything, and it allows everybody to compete with eachother. Except it doesn't. Somebody will always get on top, and the people on top are genetically programmed to remain on top at any means necessary. This is also why they buy out politcal parties like both parties in the US. And ever since corporations got their hands deeper and deeper into Rep. and Dem. pockets... well, see for yourself:
[Image: 800px-Federal_Receipts_by_Source.svg.png]
[Image: US_Effective_Corporate_Tax_Rate_1947-2011_v2.jpg]

And considering these kind of corporations have a finger in up the parties ass, and the same party has bought up news stations like Fox News, that many Republican voters treat as gospel? You're gonna get people who can't even answer what taxes are or what they do. They're just evil.

I could talk for hours about the US government giving away more and more of their federal tasks to private intrests: prisons, hospitals, police forces and millitary; maybe because using all your money on wars in the middle-east forces you to do that shit... but I lack data to prove it, so whatever.

In a nutshell, the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. And nobody notices because they're too busy watching TV and stuffing their face with sugar gleefully supplied by your favorite corporation; who certainly doesn't want you to know what their plans might be for your country...

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
15-11-2017, 07:41 AM
(14-11-2017 08:02 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I don't understand why the average Joe thinks a 20% corporate tax rate will help them.

I think it's two things:
  • Once you've already drank the trickle down Kool Aid, this just makes sense.
  • I saw a survey once that showed that a disproportionate number of conservatives think they will become millionaires at some point in their life. They may believe this type of voting is an investment.
From my understanding of taxes and incentives, I thought the thing that was supposed to help the middle class was having a much lower capital gains tax compared to the corporate tax/upper bracket of income tax. This gives business owners a direct financial incentive to pump the money back into their company to improve it.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
15-11-2017, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2017 08:02 AM by BikerDude.)
Because they are gullible.
The people saying it are cynically engaging in a sales pitch and know full well that what they are saying is not true.
Those believing it are suckers.
Even more absurd is the contention that tax cuts will result in higher wages.
No company will ever pay higher wages voluntarily.
In fact they will do everything that they can to pay lower wages.
And they are legally required to do so.
They must represent the interests of investors or they are legally culpable.

And I hope you don't take this the wrong way but this sort of thing and a number of other familiar sort of topics seems like playing softball.
If you really want these arguments to make a difference I'd suggest that this is not the venue.
You are preaching to the choir.
There might be a couple of conservative outliers around here who are painted as nut cases generally but there is little sense in this sort of effort in an echo chamber like this.
I'd suggest that you go to a more conservative site and slug it out.
I know it feels good to join hands and sing together but it's counterproductive in the large. IMO.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
15-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Because they believe "anything that helps corporations will ultimately help the economy". Doesn't matter what.

15-11-2017, 08:23 AM
How about this...overturn Citizens United. Corporations are not people. They shouldn't be allowed to make political donations. Only citizens should make political donations. Similarly, corporations also shouldn't be taxed. Only citizens should be taxed. Tax the employees of a company. Tax the salaries of the executives of a company. Tax anything that is "income" on a private citizen. Get rid of the corporate tax altogether. This is a "double tax." Because after paying corporate taxes, the remaining profit goes to shareholders or the business owner, then the individual pays taxes on the money they receive. Just eliminate the corporate tax and let the shareholders or business owners have more money. Then they can pay the tax on their extra profits. This would result in more money to the government, because companies have too many available exemptions.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
15-11-2017, 08:38 AM
(15-11-2017 08:23 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  How about this...overturn Citizens United. Corporations are not people. They shouldn't be allowed to make political donations. Only citizens should make political donations. Similarly, corporations also shouldn't be taxed. Only citizens should be taxed. Tax the employees of a company. Tax the salaries of the executives of a company. Tax anything that is "income" on a private citizen. Get rid of the corporate tax altogether. This is a "double tax." Because after paying corporate taxes, the remaining profit goes to shareholders or the business owner, then the individual pays taxes on the money they receive. Just eliminate the corporate tax and let the shareholders or business owners have more money. Then they can pay the tax on their extra profits. This would result in more money to the government, because companies have too many available exemptions.

Corporations benefit more directly from the things that taxes pay for.
Infrastructure, education, military.
If anything lower individual taxes and get the lions share of tax revenue from corporations. And definitely raise capital gains tax.
We are heading toward a system of corporate welfare.
Corporations reap the profits of things that taxpayers pay for. And assume essentially no risk.
Research and development is funded by taxpayers until it produces something profitable and then corporations get to reap 100% of the profits.
Just look at computers, the internet, electronics, drugs etc etc...

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
15-11-2017, 08:58 AM
(14-11-2017 08:02 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I really can't wrap my brain around it. There is little proof that corporate tax cuts will create jobs.

We don't ... so there's that. Tongue
The economy could be said to be at full employment, (it's 4 % or so), so it's just bullshit to pass their tax plan which gives tax breaks to the very rich, (and now is a suicidal attempt again to repeal part of the ACA). The thing the US economy needs is "skilled" (very niche) jobs, which employers cannot now find qualified people for. What we *really* need are programs like Sweden has, where... where someone loses a job, they do testing and training, and get someone very specifically ready for their next job. Training. But Repubtards think people should "pull themselves up by their bootstraps", so they will oppose that sort of thing, every time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-11-2017, 09:42 AM
I know this is sort of 'preaching too the choir', but I also appreciate the discussion and any evidence or talking points I may have overlooked.

I absolutely agree on the training, especially as we are looking at an imminent replacement of many jobs, especially 'low-level' jobs, due to automation. This (and the environment) are two crises that are being ignored at our peril.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]