Why do people believe in God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Why do people believe in God?
I've always wondered this. Many theists will say that religion/God gives them comfort. But if the idea of eternal punishment (Hell, etc.) is involved, there is nothing comforting about that. I just boggles my mind that people can read the Bible, Torah, etc. understand what it says, and still believe in it. I just don't get it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2012, 08:25 PM
RE: Why do people believe in God?
(15-02-2012 08:15 PM)Scott D Wrote:  I've always wondered this. Many theists will say that religion/God gives them comfort. But if the idea of eternal punishment (Hell, etc.) is involved, there is nothing comforting about that. I just boggles my mind that people can read the Bible, Torah, etc. understand what it says, and still believe in it. I just don't get it.

Live forever, even if in hell.
No need to make moral decisions on your own.
Social conformaty and security.
Their brainwashed parents brainwahsed them.
...and they have no need to change their beliefs.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
15-02-2012, 08:28 PM
(15-02-2012 08:25 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Live forever, even if in hell.
No need to make moral decisions on your own.
Social conformaty and security.
Their brainwashed parents brainwahsed them.
...and they have no need to change their beliefs.

In the same way theists can do incredible mental gymnastics to defend their belief in God, I think they also do incredible mental gymnastics to convince themselves they are worthy of a place in heaven, regardless of how immoral their actions.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
15-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Most moderate religious believers don't read their religious texts. How does the saying go - if you want to turn a theist into an atheist, just have them read the Bible? The extreme believers are so indoctrinated over a long period of time - that even contemplating that they might be wrong is just absurd. All that time, energy, emotion... wasted?

And you're doing something many followers don't do - ASK QUESTIONS!
15-02-2012, 09:02 PM
(15-02-2012 08:28 PM)JohnnieWalker Wrote:  Most moderate religious believers don't read their religious texts. How does the saying go - if you want to turn a theist into an atheist, just have them read the Bible? The extreme believers are so indoctrinated over a long period of time - that even contemplating that they might be wrong is just absurd. All that time, energy, emotion... wasted?

And you're doing something many followers don't do - ASK QUESTIONS!

Tell a christian that there is a loop hole in the bible that no one ever speaks of as follows:
The bible allows you can jerk off if you don't covet your neighbors wife while doing so.
Watch the wheels turn in their heads as they contemplate this option.
You have to have a straight face to pull it off (pun intended)Wink

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
15-02-2012, 09:05 PM
(15-02-2012 08:15 PM)Scott D Wrote:  I've always wondered this. Many theists will say that religion/God gives them comfort. But if the idea of eternal punishment (Hell, etc.) is involved, there is nothing comforting about that. I just boggles my mind that people can read the Bible, Torah, etc. understand what it says, and still believe in it. I just don't get it.

Brainwashing for many. Being raised on it from earliest memory, it's like quitting smoking Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
15-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Social norms and indoctrination have a lot to do with it; however, there are those out there that believe without these stimuli.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
15-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Daniel Quinn says it best. To paraphrase, every single society seeks to answer the question of 'how things came to be this way'. We create stories and we enact them. Our stories are the basis of our relationship with the world, with the living community, with other humans and with the Gods themselves. That's why people believe in God. That's why people believe in science. That's why people follow cult leaders. That's why people listen to the songs of their elders. It's all of a piece.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
16-02-2012, 12:58 AM

Some egoists think they are so good that Hell isn't an option.
Many fear the end of the self so look to any option.
Others, some atheists, see god as simply looking to "the good".
20-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I guess its for comfort. (Beware, long personal story commin' up)

I come from a heavily religious family, my great grandfather was a priest, and my family that I live with (The Americans, the priest side is in Switzerland) promotes the sterotype (almost) of a god-fearing family. I look at my family that I live with, my uncle mike, a old cop who has cancer and might die, and its easy to see why he'd cling to religion. He needs it to cope, because death is something no one really likes. My mother, who has a back problem, and a kindey problem, and a sad history of being left on her own by my father, raising me in the struggles of the economy, I'm not suprised why she'd believe in god.

When I was a believer It gave me comfort to know I had a "safe net" but once I matured, grew up, I didn't need it. I was able to survive emotionally.

Thats just my two cents.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  the cliche', "why do bad things happen to good people" Roger_the_alien 18 357 02-07-2014 11:06 AM
Last Post: docskeptic
  Arguments to convince religious people Mozart Link 11 289 02-07-2014 02:22 AM
Last Post: JONES
  Why people leave Mormonism/religion - comprehensive list freetoreason 7 192 28-05-2014 12:48 AM
Last Post: ShirubaDangan
  According to Christians, are all the people who lived before Jesus in hell? Chrisinfp 12 220 27-05-2014 12:56 PM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock
  What If Today A Person Murdered People And Said They Were Ordered To Do So By God? WindyCityJazz 115 2,241 14-05-2014 09:42 AM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  4 + billion people going to hell? john2 36 818 05-05-2014 09:18 AM
Last Post: Rahn127
  Why be smug and condescending? Turning people off to your beliefs Plan 9 from OS 59 1,130 27-04-2014 09:17 PM
Last Post: freetoreason