Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?
Why do you think people claim that Atheists are attacking them?
I'm on another website at the moment that isn't based of religion or non religion however there is a religious section.

Iv'e seen two posts 1 saying: Why are atheists always attacking Christians as if we are some evil beings. Evil_monster
And another talking about how they are horrible because they are taking down all the Christians Christmas singes and items from the streets or whatever.

I honestly want you guys opinion iv'e never gotten into this debate or argument
as i find it wrong to just rip away parts of their beliefs, but at the same time i don't find it wrong to put ours up either. What's is really going on?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Autumnflowers's post
18-12-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?
Christians have always been at odds with non believers. Plus, some people out there might be a bit excessive when it comes to confronting the religious.

Might be anyway. Other people are just completely ignorant all together and overreact to a single debate between a theist and atheist and think to themselves, well oh!, why is he doing that? Why is he attacking our blah blah blah and so on. Can't he just keep silent and let us believe in whatever and respect and all that? Who is he to tell us what to believe in? Then they automatically assume all atheists are attacking them because they are bad people and immoral like their church says they are because of reasons.

Not realizing that the number of people writing books, or partaking in debates is the minority of the already minority group.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
18-12-2014, 05:11 PM
(18-12-2014 04:57 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  ---
... i find it wrong to just rip away parts of their beliefs, but at the same time i don't find it wrong to put ours up either.

Well, I can only speak for myself but I don't have a belief. Shy

It may be possible that some religious folk do not understand why people become annoyed when they try to shove their religion down someone's throat. I gather they think the other person should welcome it.

Do you welcome it, atheist? Are you comfortable when someone tries to manipulate you and insists you believe something, when you know you do not?

Perhaps, what is the expression of self awareness by a non-theist person might be perceived as "attacking" to a theist person.

Also, some theists might just be complaining in order to get sympathy while providing erroneous information about non-theists.

The whole situation seems to be a bit of a pity-party. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Because we use reasoning, logic and evidence (most of us anyway) to come to conclusions for our beliefs. Where as that line of thinking is a threat to the blind faith, brainwashing approach that the religious often resort to, to spread their beliefs. Think for yourself and think what we tell you to, are incompatible.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
18-12-2014, 05:36 PM
(18-12-2014 05:11 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 04:57 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  ---
... i find it wrong to just rip away parts of their beliefs, but at the same time i don't find it wrong to put ours up either.

Well, I can only speak for myself but I don't have a belief. Shy

It may be possible that some religious folk do not understand why people become annoyed when they try to shove their religion down someone's throat. I gather they think the other person should welcome it.

Do you welcome it, atheist? Are you comfortable when someone tries to manipulate you and insists you believe something, when you know you do not?

Perhaps, what is the expression of self awareness by a non-theist person might be perceived as "attacking" to a theist person.

Also, some theists might just be complaining in order to get sympathy while providing erroneous information about non-theists.

The whole situation seems to be a bit of a pity-party. Drinking Beverage

Me? I'm agnostic as of the moment.
But of course not i feel insulted when somebody tries to force me into believing what they do or preach to me iv'e actually had this happen to me before while being pinned in a corner and i couldn't get away. But you make a point
however are atheists seriously taking there singes or writings down of the streets?
or is it another exaggerated claim or a true claim without the fully story?
18-12-2014, 05:44 PM
(18-12-2014 05:36 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  ---
however are atheists seriously taking there singes or writings down of the streets?
or is it another exaggerated claim or a true claim without the fully story?

Possibly a bit of both...
If I live in a city where I pay taxes for the upkeep of public property, I may not want my tax dollars going to fund a religious scene in the public park... which I pay for.

If a religious sign is on PRIVATE or church property, I'm as tolerant as the next guy.

If someone wants the 10 commandments in the city or federal building which my tax dollars paid for... I would have to advise them that such religious stuff does not belong there.

Just examples. I personally don't give a single shit about any of it. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Christians are the persecuted group.

If we atheists don't want our children to be forced to pray, then we persecute those Christians that want all children to be forced to pray in school.

If we atheists don't want theology in the science classroom then we persecute those Christians that want to extend science to theology and in particular teach all children Christian creationism in science class.

If we atheists want to allow gays to get married underlaw then we persecute those Christians that want marriage to be defined and sanctioned under Christian rules.

If we atheist want to allow women to choose to abort or not then we persecute those Christians that want to force women to carry.

If we atheists criticise government for spending tax payer's money on Christian things e.g. Ark, etc then we persecute those Christians that think government ought to pay for Christian things.

If we atheists want to support religious freedom and freedom from religion then we persecute the Christians that want the country to be built on Christian values, Christian traditions, and want every man, woman and child to be a Christian.

It's us atheists, we're always on the attack, persecuting the Christians, stopping them from furthering their Christian ways into society. Just why are we so nasty?
[+] 5 users Like Stevil's post
18-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Personally, I'm tired of all the fucking whining that the jesus freaks do. Fuck every last one of them.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
18-12-2014, 06:35 PM
(18-12-2014 04:57 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Why do you think people claim that Atheists are attacking them?
Because they find comfort in their belief. We question that belief. They don't want to think about it. They feel threatened so in their view we are attacking them.

Sapere aude
[+] 5 users Like f stop's post
18-12-2014, 06:36 PM
It is because the think they have the TRUTH. It is because we KNOW they are wrong.

When you are 100% certain of something (as they are) but really haven't done any research (as 99% of them haven't)
and that religion requires telling people about your truth, well then you see where they feel they need to do advertise all of their views everywhere! (including using public or tax payer funds) since the majority agree with them, it reinforces their belief that they are right. They see no danger in religion.

We know there is a lot of danger in religion, and as such, people should be able to choose for themselves and practice privately. Since this is not the case, it is our job to inform people when they overstep boundaries. They then get butt hurt. They then cry that they are being persecuted.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post